Skip to content

Gaz to QPR

Comments

• I always thought the thick Bucks accent of my late grandad (who had a brief spell representing the Chairboys pre-WWII) had a distinct west country twang to it.

• I remember my English teacher saying that the Bucks accent originally was quite rural, but has changed with the spread of Esturary English out from that London.

• The old school bucks and oxon accent definitely sounds West Country but has a lazier drawl to it than Bristolian to my ears. Sadly it’s almost totally died out now.

• Was always led to believe that Holmer Green had its own peculiar and unique accent, as evidenced by my late uncle. Definitely distinct from Wycombe.

• I was told by some old boys that Thame always had a very distinct accent. One of them even regaled me a little rhyme other towns used to sing about the townspeople. Something along the lines of 'none speak so queer as them from Thame'

• Ow the bleddy ell as any of this abaht accents gorrowt ta do with gaz goin t'qpr? (I ad that DH Lawrence in the back of me cab wunce...)

• Dirty beast.

• Now now @micra he was quite clean actually, though his wife was a bit strange and he coughed blood all over the upholstery.

• @niebieski that's incredible.

• Seconded, great find!!

• Here's another one: http://www.thememoryproject.com/stories/1753:doug-franks/
    This was my maternal grandfather, lived somewhere around Aylesbury all of his life until the war, this was recorded after living in Canada for fifty years.

• Sorry to derail back to this posts original point - but McClaren gone to QPR. A nice friday sigh of relief all round, I think

• hardly a sigh of relief, GA was never going to QPR cos he isn't a championship standard manager, lets see how he gets on in League 1 then we can worry if he gets us in the Top 10.

• saying that McClaren is hardly any better, has just been very lucky with some appointments notably England.

• Good brolly salesman though!

• Gaz was good enough to get us out of league two much to the dismay of some 'supporters'.

• Yes and now the hard work starts and I hope he does an unreal job and were in the top 10 next season

• We're.

• Supporters under 60 years of age.

• There is a world of difference managing a team with no money for transfers and one without that burden. To achieve with no money doesn't mean you will do as well if there is plenty but the same applies the other way round.

• Having limited funds means having a smaller squad and fewer players getting disgruntled because of limited opportunities to play, especially if training is so intense that 20% of the squad are normally injured at any given time. The formula seems to work.

• @rmjlondon said:
    Yes and now the hard work starts and I hope he does an unreal job and were in the top 10 next season

A touch of realism is needed here. We have a small squad with no reserve or youth teams and limited funds.
    We are going into a division that has at least six clubs who have played in the Premier League and several others that have played in the Championship.
    If we finish above four other teams it’s an acceptable achievement, anything higher would be a bonus.

• Every Wycombe fan I know thinks that staying up next season will qualify as a successful season

At the same time allowing ourselves to dream of more. That's sort of part of being a football fan

• We’ve had a dream or two fulfilled over the past 25 years. We’ve also had at least a couple of achievements that we could not have dreamed about. I wonder how many Yeovil fans dreamt of playing in the Championship?
    Survival coupled with the kind of football we’ve enjoyed recently would be eminently acceptable.

• Very obviously 20th or above would be a massive achievement. That doesn’t mean I can’t spend my summer dreaming of successive promotions.

• @eric_plant said:
    Every Wycombe fan I know thinks that staying up next season will qualify as a successful season

At the same time allowing ourselves to dream of more. That's sort of part of being a football fan

Totally agree and whilst we all like to be positive and hope that we can prosper in the higher division, my comments were aimed at those fans who will soon start complaining when we lose a couple of games.

• Mid table obscurity would a great achievement imo so i'd be happy with that.

• Ainsworth now joint favourite for Barnsley job

• Well, they've got to stick some names on a list, haven't they...