Skip to content

Gaz to QPR

Comments

• From football management appointments to accents to regional pastries...and they say the Gasroom is full of pointless threads that meander off on idiotic tangents. What does everyone think of Kung fu?

• I've got a (Wycombe-supporting) friend who's lived in Newcastle for a good few years now and his accent is definitely becoming Geordified. In a couple more years I don't think I'll have a clue what he's saying to me anymore.

If I ever think for one minute I might be getting a 'janner' accent I'll voluntarily tear my own vocal chords out. (Or just move house - either way). My wife's from Liverpool and finds pretty much everything about the South West hilarious.

• Had a mate who moved to Australia... he came back for a visit a year later, and he had an Aussie accent... he denied that he did, but everyone else knew he did

• @arnos_grove said:
    I’ve been up north for 17 years. You definitely pick up words and sayings. A roll (as in bacon roll) is a cob here and it took a few years before using it became comfortable.

Pretty sure if they call it a cob then you’re in the midlands. Barm cake, tea cake or bread cake once you’re in the north.

In Wigan one particular chain of bakers has a poster in the window advertising a pie barm, which is a pie in a bread roll.

• Sounds like we may have a burgeoning Cob v Barm controversy to while away the slow summer days...

• Has “Gaz” gone to QPR yet?

• @Malone I love accents as part of the rich tapestry of life. But people like Barton and McLaren speaking English in comedy accents make me feel embarrassed of my country, and expose such people as thorough idiots

• WHERE IS THE BUS STOP?!

• Oh dear! Hope you’ve made it in the meantime.

• To people in the south I sound like a northerner (ere where's yer whippet? etc etc) and back home I sound like - at worst - a fukkin cocknee or at best a southern Jessie.

• And its a cob. Soft or crusty.

• As there’s no actual boundary line, ‘The North’ is simply a state of mind. There’s a sign when you join the M1 from the M25 that simply says The North, so you could argue that St Albans forms part of it!

As a southerner, it starts around Leicester for me. I live in a place called Hucknall, six miles north of Nottingham. To me, it’s utterly Northern (meat raffles are plentiful, chip shop owners get sniffy when you refuse ‘a mix’, youths still do penny for the guy etc) but still technically in the Midlands.

Oh yeah, Gaz to QPR. 18% chance (no thread derail).

• if you get a mention in this classic consider yourself northern

• The North starts at Watford Gap

Basics

• @arnos_grove hucknall is definately Nottinghamshire I have family living there. Council estate me. We used to dream of living in hucknall.

• I used to live in Ravenshead, just down the road and my mum taught in Hucknall. Just before we moved to Wycombe. All a very long time ago

• @Wendoverman @MindlessDrugHoover perhaps we'll get a FA cup draw against Hucknall Town one day - final career resting place of midfield legend Gary Patterson. Hucknall is also the hometown of ex-WWFC loanee Steve Blatherwick.

Anyway, that's enough excitement for one post...

• I know people moan about threads going off topic or being hijacked but the Gasroom does a nice meandering drunken pub conversation vibe about it sometimes. Or maybe some of us are just so old now we lose track.

• Back to mid/late thread topic, I thought that a bap/barm was "stottie bread in the North East?

• Well it's definitely a Barm Cake where I live in coastal Lancashire. I think it's strange now calling it a bread roll!

• There’s a road-side sandwich shack in Cornwall called Nice Baps. So either they’re called baps down that way too or I have entirely misunderstood what that shack is.

• That deserves a like button

• Like.

• edited May 2018
  • sky reporting that Mcclaren will be confirmed within 24 hours.

It would appear that if GA has aspiration towards that job, he will need his star to still be ascendant in around January when the QPR job is next likely to become available.....

• You spelled "October" wrong.

• As a Northener living down south I think the Bucks accent sounds slightly west country. In the local pubs of Downley you will often here someone shout 'Alroite Boy'. I asked someone in there if they were originally from Bristol, he looked confused and bit put out before saying 'No'.

• Good to get a straight answer.