Skip to content

Portsmouth Pubs

Opening post in the new Away Day Pubs category. Suggestions for Portsmouth?

Comments

• Head to the old Albert road and you'll be spoilt for choice.

• edited April 2016

Sadly the excellent 'Old House At Home' had ceased trading, but you can search and filter your requirements for any area at www.whatpub.com

• I used to live in Portsmouth and absolutely loved it there - fantastic city and loads of decent pubs.

As Bill has said, Albert Road is probably the place to head for. Several good pubs and some decent Indian/Chinese/Thai restaurants down there too. Had many good nights in the Wine Vaults, the 5th Hants Volunteers, the Leopold and the Duke of Devonshire. It's bit of a student area, so most of the pubs are fairly chilled out although the Leopold will definitely have quite a few home fans in.

Also, for people making a day/weekend of it (which I'd really recommend, especially for those with a passing interest in maritime/military history) if you head a couple of stops down the line to Portsmouth Harbour then there are some decent pubs near there. The Invincible, tucked away on the corner of Queen Street, is a nice little place and my old local. The Wellington and The Bridge Tavern in Old Portsmouth are worth a visit, as is the Old Customs House in Gunwharf Quays, although it's a little pricey in there. Gunwharf's also great for food by the way.

Alternatively, you can get off at Portsmouth and Southsea and you're bang in the middle of the main drag in the city centre, within spitting distance of a half-decent Wetherspoons. Mostly just generic chain bars there though.

If you go drinking in Fratton, there are some ok pubs, but I'm buggered if I can remember what any of them are called, except for one called the Red White and Blue which is worth a visit. Most of the others are 'home fans pubs' and whilst I'm sure you would be fine drinking in them, probably exercise a bit of caution and keep colours covered up. I think one of the more notorious local pubs (possibly the Milton Arms?) has now closed down.

On a side note (and I'm not necessarily condoning this) but for those going exploring in Portsmouth; Portsmouth and Southsea station has ticket barriers, but either side of that, Portsmouth Harbour and Fratton do not, so a naughty fare-dodger could pass quite freely between the two.

• Just a heads up for next season. The manager of the Leopold on Albert Road gave up the tenancy in 2016 when Enterprise Inns upped his rent by 50%. He's opened a free house about 200 yards further east now though called the The Merchant House (which is conveniently now 200 yards closer to Fratton Park).

• The Still & West is lovely, overlooks the harbour and does a delicious fish finger sandwich.

• The Artillery Arms is a cracking backstreet boozer with fantastic beer not far from the ground, though it's not really an away pub so some discretion is advised.

• @ReadingMarginalista said:
    The Artillery Arms is a cracking backstreet boozer with fantastic beer not far from the ground, though it's not really an away pub so some discretion is advised.

How can you have "discretion" with a "suvern" accent in the middle of the frozen wastelands of the north?

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • realised that after posting, thought I was on the Sunderland thread!!!

• On yer bike @EwanHoosaami !

• @EwanHoosaami You're more than welcome to try ingratiating yourself with the locals before our game at Fratton Park by going into the pub dressed in a red and white striped shirt singing "Ha'way the lads".

• @ReadingMarginalista said:
    EwanHoosaami You're more than welcome to try ingratiating yourself with the locals before our game at Fratton Park by going into the pub dressed in a red and white striped shirt singing "Ha'way the lads".

Many thanks @ReadingMarginalista , but I think I will pass on that offer. I value what few remaining teeth I have left!

• Went to watch an Army v Navy match at Fratton Park one year with a colleague who rather stupidly wore his Lincoln shirt just visible under his jacket. He was nearly lynched!

• @Jonny_King Chanting "I'd rather be a Scummer than a fish ****ing Skate" probably didn't help either.

• @ReadingMarginalista Yeah well, hindsight's a wonderful thing...

• Havant & Waterlooville away 21st July