Skip to content

Sunderland pubs

I know it's a few months away (at least) but here's my usual route to the Stadium of Light when I'm back home. Very away fan friendly (as are most pubs in Sunderland tbh). Most are in the city centre and most sell craft/real ales if that's your thing.

Kings Arms
Museum Vaults
The Isis (named after a ship, not those daft lads in Syria)
Fitzgeralds
The Dun Cow
The Fire Station
The Peacock
10 minute walk to the ground

Comments

• Nothing like planning early...

• @Wendoverman said:
    Nothing like planning early...

My in-laws are massive Wycombe fans, they've been hoping/planning for years for a visit to SAFC. Bet your bottom dollar it'll be a 700 mile round-trip in December with a 7:45 Tuesday ko.

• @Wendoverman said:
    Nothing like planning early...

These things are important. (I’ll volunteer to research the South Yorkshire hostelries and provide a suitable update - a bit nearer to game time though)

• Ship Isis is a tremendous boozer

• Geoff is the landlord there. Top man.

• I concur with previous posts, the ISIS is fantastic, went there when I completed the 92

• Just as the Japanese have labelled this site safe following the metro gas attack, ISIS sends shock waves across through the Cheltenham listening board

• When I used to travel to Sunderland back in the 1980s to visit my girlfriend, (now wife), and at the same time a mate of mine who played for Sunderland, we used to go drinking in a pub called The Barnes. That really was a Sunderland fans watering hole and had a real buzz about it. Don't know if it's still there now?

• In the context of Sunderland pubs, and the OP's reference to the King's Arms, this is worth a read:

https://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2018/apr/22/sunderland-feckless-relegation-has-been-coming-at-least-we-now-have-a-parrot

• Poignant report. A good read, too,

• @EwanHoosaami said:
    When I used to travel to Sunderland back in the 1980s to visit my girlfriend, (now wife), and at the same time a mate of mine who played for Sunderland, we used to go drinking in a pub called The Barnes. That really was a Sunderland fans watering hole and had a real buzz about it. Don't know if it's still there now?

The Barnes is still there. It's a Toby Carvery so more restaurant than pub.

• Ah ok, thanks. Will relay that to my mate who played for them.

• As a native of Sunderland, may I just offer my recommendations for the pre-match pint, to all those making the journey North for the match on Saturday. RickO as listed some great pubs, though I feel that some of them, may be a little out of the way for a first time visitor to Sunderland. If it was myself, I would stick to maybe the last four listed. The Peacock, The Dun Cow and The Fire Station are all in close proximity to each other. If you’re a real ale fan, Fitzgeralds is a short 5 minute walk up the road from these three, but worth a visit. Additionally, just outside of the ground, and very convenient for away fans, as it’s just across the road from the away end, is the Colliery Tavern, which is, (as are most pubs in Sunderland) very away fan friendly. If you’re travelling up by car, I would recommend using the various parking facilities in the city centre. St Marys Car Park is a multi storey, and is the one that I use on match days, as it’s just across the river from the SoL, and most importantly, just a short distance from the pubs I’ve mentioned. Have a great day guys, and I wish you all a safe journey.