Skip to content

transfer speculation....

thought i would start a thread on some possible targets for season ahead ( i know current season has not finished get!) one guy who has really impressed me is the Grimsby stiker that came on against us....Jamel Matt i think? caused us huge problems , seems like a younger more mobile version of Bayo....

Comments

• edited May 2018

I'll get in with the 'Akinde to Wycombe' before anyone else.
    Ingram to Wycombe?
    Also Brown to Cheltenham? I'm not sure his command of the box etc is good enough for a higher league.
    Really hope JJ, Sido, Bean and Yves sign on for another year.

• Randell Williams on loan. Been given a new contract by Watford but can't see him getting near their first team squad at the moment. They may therefore want to loan him out again and we may be an ideal option. Has pace, mobility, works hard and seemed to enjoy it here.

• Akinde is apparently on more money than any current Wycombe player at Barnet.

Pretty sure Scott Brown will be off.
    It wouldn't surprise me if we go for the released Luke McCormick at Plymouth.

• Doubt we'd go near him personally. Too much of a PR disaster.

• I'm with @mooneyman Randell Williams on a season-long loan is both desirable and realistic.

• I was hoping we’d sign him but it seems that, unlike Tafari Moore at Arsenal, he’s been offered a contract. Of course, with Arsene Wenger’s departure, Tafari’s situation may have changed.

• McCormick is less a PR disaster, more a poster boy for rehabilitation IMHO.

Not a particularly good GK now though. Rumoured to be signing for upwardly mobile Plymouth Parkway.

• I realise it's a sad day when a drink driver who killed and crippled a family can never hear the end of it @DevC but it would be a PR disaster for me.

• I disagree on principle Wendover. We should laud those ex offenders that have rebuilt their lives and now contribute to society not continue to denigrate them. In that way they offer positive role models to those who follow behind.

attitudes like yours are a major factor (along with our passion for locking people up) in why our reoffending rates are so much higher here than in the rest of Europe creating more crime victims.

All of which is academic as contrary to the poster above's suggestion, McCormick is very unlikely to sign for Wycombe.

• I'm just expressing my view that it would be a PR disaster for me. Doubt it will have much effect on the rehabilitation of offenders on a national level. He seems to have done alright for himself despite the fact I would not pay to see him play for Wycombe. So all's well with the world.

• Here we go again...

I'm out.

• It's a looooooong summer on the gasroom @Jonny_King ;-)

• About to get longer I fear!

• @DevC - Most people do not want to live in a lawless country and expect to see criminals locked up. We are lucky that you are not in charge of the judiciary. There is so much re-offending because our Courts are incredibly weak in sentencing criminals and continue to give them chance after chance to reform, but most criminals ignore the opportunity.

Our levels of incarceration are not overly high compared with the world overall. Australia, New Zealand and America are higher than us.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_incarceration_rate

• Clarification (if it were needed) @Wendoverman, that my post was not in response to your comment - I just type very slowly!

• @mooneyman said:
    DevC - Most people do not want to live in a lawless country and expect to see criminals locked up. We are lucky that you are not in charge of the judiciary. There is so much re-offending because our Courts are incredibly weak in sentencing criminals and continue to give them chance after chance to reform, but most criminals ignore the opportunity.

Our levels of incarceration are not overly high compared with the world overall. Australia, New Zealand and America are higher than us.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_incarceration_rate

I agree. The more liberal approach to crime and punishment has quite clearly not worked.

• Few if any sane people would advocate using the US Justice system as a positive role model.

So our "liberal" model jails twice as many people per head than in Germany, Netherlands and Sweden, the largest Northern Europe countries most similar to our own. What do we get for this vast expense? Far worse reoffending rates than they do (which means more future victims of crime). genius.

Indeed when Netherlands consciously switched from our knee jerk lock em up model to continental only lock them up as a last resort, they not only saved oodles of dosh to be spent on say healthcare or education but also benefitted from significantly better reoffending rates and significantly lower crime rates.

Why on earth (apart from fear of losing the knee jerked votes) would our government not follow Netherlands lead?

• Or the Norwegian system for that matter, with you on this one Dev.

• Recidivism rates are higher for people sentenced to prison than for people sentenced to community service, but don’t let facts get the way of your pitchforks.

Source: https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/399389/impact-of-short-custodial-sentences-on-reoffending.PDF

• Fortunately we live in a democracy Dev and namby-pamby liberals such as yourself are in the vast minority.

• edited May 2018

Which is unfortunate for the vengeful majority since they would seem to be cutting off their nose to spite their face in this instance. Posts like yours, @mooneyman, tend to make me think Churchill was wrong and that I should wish for a benevolent dictatorship.

• @drcongo said:
    Recidivism rates are higher for people sentenced to prison than for people sentenced to community service, but don’t let facts get the way of your pitchforks.

Source: https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/399389/impact-of-short-custodial-sentences-on-reoffending.PDF

That is misleading because community service is obviously used to punish less serious offenders who are by definition less likely to reoffend than career criminals.
    Your reference to pitchforks is an unnecessary overreaction to an opinion that happens to be different to yours.

• @mooneyman said:
    Fortunately we live in a democracy Dev and namby-pamby liberals such as yourself are in the vast minority.

What does this nonsense even mean?

• edited May 2018

By the by, rates of incarceration are considerably up over the past 40 years, so not sure where the idea that some liberal sentencing model has been tried and failed comes from, @glasshalffull.

(Edited this next bit because original link definitely didn't work:)

One can access the source for this via a link titled "UK prison population statistics" at the bottom of the page here:

https://researchbriefings.parliament.uk/ResearchBriefing/Summary/SN04334#fullreport

(I seem not to be able to provide a direct link to the report itself.)

• Pssst! Any transfer speculation in the offing?

• Only news is about the big derailment..............

• I may be in the (namby pamby liberal) minority here but I find this sort of discussion interesting and potentially valuable.

• I heard somewhere that we are in the market for a CF.

• I think mooneyman’s point was that shorter sentences for serious crimes has not proven to be an effective deterrent. I’m not sure that our society would be improved by handing out community service to serial offenders.

• Reading a heck of a lot into his posts there!