Skip to content

Non-League play-offs this coming week

After a brilliant day out in Chesterfield yesterday it's back to reality this week as the Non-League play-offs start. For the first time, in the National League, there are 6 teams contesting one place. The bottom 4 of the 6 play an "elimination round" before the two winners then take on the second and third placed clubs. Rather than just listing local games (Slough and Hemel Hempstead on Wednesday) I've listed all the Southern games in case you happen to be near one. Both the Southern League & National League play on Wednesday while the Isthmian League staggers the play-offs over three days:

TUESDAY 1ST MAY (7.45):

Isthmian League South Division:

Cray Wanderers v Walton Casuals (at Bromley FC)
Greenwich Borough v Corinthian Casuals

WEDNESDAY 2ND MAY (7.45 unless specified):

National League:

Aldershot Town v Ebbsfleet Utd ** K.O. 7pm ** (live on BT Sport)

National League South:

Hampton & Richmond v Truro City
Hemel Hempstead Town v Braintree Town

Southern League Premier Division:

Kings Lynn Town v Weymouth
Slough Town v Kettering Town

Southern League East Division:

Hartley Wintney v AFC Dunstable
Hayes & Yeading United v Cambridge City

Southern League South & West Division:

Evesham Town v Swindon Supermarine
Wimborne Town v Didcot Town

THURSDAY 3RD MAY (7.45 unless specified):

National League:

Boreham Wood v AFC Fylde ** K.O. 7pm ** (live on BT Sport)

Isthmian League Premier Division:

Dulwich Hamlet v Leiston (at Tooting & Mitcham United FC)
Hendon v Broxbourne Borough

Comments

• Hendon playing Folkestone mate

• Broxbourne must have had a few promotions lol

• Where did I get Broxbourne from? Folkestone Invicta have the longest-serving Non-League manager in Neil Cugley. Match being played at Hendon's new ground - Silver Jubilee Park in Brent (on a 3G pitch).

• didn't that used to be Kingsbury Town ? what a dive that was.

• Yes, Edgware Town play there now plus Hendon. Scrubbed up ok

• edited April 2018

7.30 KO as lights have to be off by 10pm.

• Hemel 0-0 Braintree AET, Braintree won 3-2 on pens.

Poor fare as the two sides did their best not to shoot when in sight of goal. Extra time was a little livelier, Hemel keeper Laurie Walker pulled off a stunning point blank save, and Braintree should have had a stonewall penalty. Hemel had a strong defence but a very weak forward line, and that carried through into penalties as three players missed. Braintree have a pacy forward line, were the more enterprising and just about deserved the win.

During penalties a fight broke behind the goal as both sets of fans had converged there, two blokes were pulled out by stewards, one connected with Braintree as he went to their bench. Attendance 1165, looked a lot more. Braintree now play at Dartford on Sunday in the semi-final.

• Special mention to Chesham United for winning the Berks & Bucks Senior tonight, beating Franchise 4-3 on pens, 2-2 at FT, at StadiumFranchise.

2-0 down at HT, the Generals equalised in the last minute, were 3-1 down in the shoot-out but keeper Hal Al-Droubi saved to keep them in it, saved another and then scored the sixth penalty to win the match. Scott McGleish came on as a sub, at a ground he has scored for us, but he missed his penalty. Attendance was 521.

• This week just gets better and better.

• Great stuff! Cheers Steve!

• @ValleyWanderer said:
    This week just gets better and better.

Maybe I should buy a lottery ticket, I think it's the only way my week could improve! What a week. :-)

• Good to see Haf back in the Chesham goal. He was sent off a couple of weeks ago and with no keeper on the bench Scott McGleish went in for the remaining half hour of the match and managed to secure the clean sheet and 3-0 win. Chesham were unable to secure an emergency loan for their keeper's one game suspension, so McGleish started the next match in goal against Farnborough. Unfortunately Chesham lost 2-0.

• Brackley Town 1-0 Bradford Park Avenue AET, National North semi-final

The rather picturesque main street of Brackley was invaded by green shirted Yorkshire folk, although the team turned out in their striking change strip of red, yellow and black horizontal stripes. The first half was played at a very fast pace, tight but with Brackley having more of the ball, with two good chances spurned.

The second half was much more open, a lot of chances in both boxes, Bradford cleared off the line and the Brackley keeper made a string of fine saves. No goals at full-time, the pace understandably dropped in extra-time in the heat, but the deadlock was broken on 111 minutes when Aaron Williams put the Saints ahead, cleverly toe poking home after his shot was blocked. The Brackley keeper had to make one more excellent save to see his team home, and they now go to Harrogate Town for the final on Sunday. No attendance given, nor can I find any trace online, but I would say about 1500. Having seen a few National South games this season, on the evidence of this match, the North division is much stronger.

I will be seeing Brackley again on Sunday week, on Non-League Finals Day at Wembley for their Trophy game with Bromley, although sitting in the Thatcham section as the neutral section is sold out. I overhead someone say that Brackley have sold 3500 tickets so far.

• @nelbo009
    8m8 minutes ago
    More
    Ground 268, St James’ Park, @BrackleyTownFC 1-0 @BPAFCOfficial (AET), @TheNationalLge North Playoff Semi. Att: 923. Very close game, not much between the sides, but entertaining, especially 2nd half. Great saves by both keepers. #groundhopping @footballgrounds @NonLeagueCrowd

• Thanks @M3G, not a bad crowd considering they only got 290 for their home league match with BPA on a Tuesday three weeks ago, when Brackley's play-off place was ensured. They have, however, had a couple of other home league crowds less than 300 this year, which suggests they have a very small core support for this level. Top league attendance was 1010 v Salford in January, 1250 for Wealdstone in the Trophy semi. I'd like to see them promoted, only a 40 minute drive for me.

• edited May 2018

Off to Dulwich Hamlet v Hendon play-off final this afternoon. Sadly not being played at Champion Hill but Tooting & Mitcham instead. I’m hoping the bar facilities have made the short trip.

• The Dulwich game is being streamed live on https://www.facebook.com/officialBOTN/videos/1984720428456540/

I think you need to be logged into Facebook. Single camera only, video and sound keeps breaking up for me.

• Yes, sadly the stream was completely unwatchable, Hamlet won on penalties though, from what I can gather.

• Got to pens and the whole thing froze. Wonder what happened?

• Slough Town promoted to National League South. They won 2-1 at Kings Lynn this afternoon in the Premier Division play-off final.

• A great afternoon out. Over 3300 there to watch a fairly poor game between two sides who (understandably) looked completely knackered and nervous of making a mistake.

The HT changing of ends by the fans was a sight to behold and lovely memories of Loakes Park. Congratulations to Dulwich for getting promoted to the 6th tier for the first time in 111 years and after losing the previous two play-off finals.

• I was keen to change ends on Saturday after we shot the "wrong" way first half.

• Delighted to see Dulwich do well, especially in view of their well documented issues this season.

But as a point of order, wouldn't the top division of the isthmian league have been the sixth tier before the Conference North and south were invented?

• Already done Hemel v Braintree in the Conference South playoffs, now I'm off to Hampton & Richmond v Braintree Town on Sunday, you have to buy in advance as the game is all-ticket, but they are reasonably priced at £12 plus £1.25 booking fee

• Astonishing scenes as Tranmere have a man sent off in the 1st minute at Wembley.

• And go 1-0 up 5 minutes later.

• edited May 2018

A Boreham Wood fan just bottled a Tranmere player during the celebrations too.

• M3GM3G
    edited May 2018

Not very exciting so far Lincoln Exeter. Parry has managed to mention Wycombe and Ainsworth already in his commentary. Has also a 2nd reference for Wycombe and Bayo gets a mention as well.

• 1st min sending off! Brutal challenge, from one of those players that wrongly believes anything goes that early?

• The half ends with a goal in the 8th minute of added time, despite only 6 mins being awarded. Mellon rightly furious.