Skip to content

The Opposition View - Stevenage

Comments

• Glad wont be playing those inbreds next season never liked stevenage.

• edited May 2018

There was plenty of atmosphere where I was standing. Are the accoustics really so bad in the terrace that the noise doesn't project at all, because it felt like the roof might come off a couple of times. And JJ and Dom looked over during the warm-up while they were taking a drink, clearly because their attention was caught by the amount of noise. They were smiling and discussing it to a point where I almost wanted to tell them to concentrate on the game ahead!

• I was thinking yesterday that I actually like Stevenage a lot more now compared to the Westley days. Their fans seem a decent bunch and they always make a bit of noise when they're here.

I agree with them on the start of the pitch invasion as well - the ref did us a huge favour blowing for full time there. (I know he was probably going to anyway as the goal kick was taken, but it's really not the point.)

• Yes, it was a shame and made the end a little bit of an anti-climax.

• No atmosphere what were they on it was pretty good for the majority of the game considering stevenage didnt turn up and we were nearly on the beach. In relation to the pitch invasion im pretty sure i saw a steward open the gate in the terrace to let fans on before the final whistle.

• @Last_Quarter said:
    I was thinking yesterday that I actually like Stevenage a lot more now compared to the Westley days. Their fans seem a decent bunch and they always make a bit of noise when they're here.

I agree with them on the start of the pitch invasion as well - the ref did us a huge favour blowing for full time there. (I know he was probably going to anyway as the goal kick was taken, but it's really not the point.)

In fairness, the referee made all the showings of ending the game without blowing the whistle. His arm was up in the air, and our bench was on the pitch too by that point.

• I can understand the occasional away fan banging on about there being no atmosphere - it's bred into them not to give the opposition any credit for anything. We have a few, ourselves. But it's strange that their manager would say that. Opposition managers' delusions are normally focussed on what they "believe" has happened on the pitch. So I expected him to claim they did the best out of what they had available, blah blah, but for him to think that Stevenage fans "support (their team) in great numbers" and that he heard those 260, but not the 8,500, throughout the game, is up there with the best in terms of League 2 manager 'fantasy'. But if it makes him feel better...

• The ref was trying to get their no. 10 over to the dugout side so that he COULD blow up once the goal kick was taken.

By the time he’d realised that’s what the ref wanted so had the rest of the crowd by which time there wasn’t much anyone could do about it!

• There manager is a deluded fool, reminded me of a bandy legged Yapp Stamm doppelgänger and look what happened to him.

• That is indeed bizarre from their manager. I suppose he needs to get fans onside, though he'll probably past half a season next year. I walked in with a couple of Stevenage fans from the car park and they seemed decent. Said they liked coming to Wycombe and it was a shame we were going up...praised a lot of our players. Whisper it but sometimes fan forums don't reflect the thoughts of many fans...just the ones with time on their hands.

• Ridiculous comment about the lack of noise from Maamria, complete nonsense

• edited May 2018

We see and hear what we want to, don't we? That said, why he couldn't stick to praising and thanking his fans for their support yesterday and avoid extending into a(n objectively totally unfounded) dig at the Wycombe fans, I've no idea.

• If that was 'zero atmosphere' it must be like Rio in Stevenage on matchday!

• BankerBob wrote:
    “Pitch invasion even before the full time was up, ref blows the final whistle having no other option, and useless commentator calls it ‘wonderful scenes’ instead of ‘disgraceful scenes’ which should merit a significant points deduction and no automatic promotion.”

this made me chuckle

• I was in the Beechdean stand and deliberately stood right at the end near the away fans so as to experience the atmosphere from their perspective . I can assure all on here that it was quite tremendous and to think otherwise you would have had to have had your hearing aid turned off

• Pardon?

• The Stevenage fans seemed to be having a good time, especially with their rather shoddy treatment of the two inflatable dinosaurs, but I couldn't hear them at all apart from when they randomly piped up during a lull towards the end. The fact this drew ironic cheers and applause from the terrace tells it's own story.

I can appreciate the Stevenage manager wants to get their fans onside, but he could probably have done so with a less ridiculous statement. Doubt he'll still be their manager this time next season and Stevenage will probably drift back into the Conference sooner rather than later.

• Same as @Jonny_King , didn't especially think their fans made any contribution at all, to what by our standards was a wall of noise.

Glad @bookertease mentioned the ref trying to usher their number 10 over to the centre of the pitch so they could get a decent run to the tunnel in.
    Still a bit unfortunate that some of our kids couldn't wait the 5secs until the ref actually blew the whistle though.

Never seen the family stand all lined up to race on like that though, that was surreal.

• I found it slightly mired by Rocking all Over the World blaring out over the tannoy. Ruined the video I took.

• @drcongo Nobody is perfect, not even Gaz. And his musical taste is there to remind us of that fact.