Skip to content

Pubs before match

Hi all,

I'm an American who likes going to lower league matches and I'm pretty excited to go to the Stevenage match on Saturday to celebrate the promotion because I've also never been to Adams Park... I've also never been in High Wycombe so I'm wondering what's a good pub to meet up with some other fans before the match on Saturday?

Comments

• The white horse on West Wycombe road. A unique taste of Wycombe hospitality.

• White horse or the hour glass

• Make sure you've got a ticket though @el57, as less than 200 left. Hope you really enjoy the day.

• Best place might be the bar at the club itself, which will be chock full of fans and which serves decent beer...

• I would certainly recommend the Vere Suite (aka Caledonian) at Adams Park. You'll meet up with plenty of fans there and be spoilt for choice on drinks. Get there early (I'd suggest 13.00 at the latest) to guarantee getting in before capacity is reached. Oh - and you'll also be able to watch the early Premiership game on TV and will not have to travel more than a few hundred yards to your seat.

• Get up to the ground early and soak in the atmosphere.

• three tuns

• I'd also recommend drinking at the ground, but arrive early as demand is going to outweigh supply for this one.

Last I heard the Hourglass has gone massively downhill under new ownership and not many Wycombe fans go there now, although I haven't been in there in a couple of years so can't say myself.

The White Horse is a seedy strip bar usually frequented by away fans who've never seen a naked woman before. I dread to think what the place would look like under a UV lamp.

• The Three Tuns is a small, old and somewhat claustrophobic pub in the old High Street. Until recently it had been called the Hobgoblin for a good many years before its original name was restored. I can’t remember the last time I was in there. Perhaps one or two of my younger Gasroom colleagues could add a few comments on the pros and cons. One ‘con’ of course is that it’s a couple of miles from Adams Park.

• edited May 2018

The obvious 'pro' to the Three Tuns is the prices. A 'con' is I'm often in there...

• Agreed on the drink prices. As someone who now lives in London, I stared at the barman in amazement when he quoted £10 for four pints of beer.

• They show all the football etc too nowadays, and there is a taxi rank outside so can get to the ground easily enough.
    Tomorrow however drinking at the ground seems the best bet - I reckon the marquee could be pretty full.

• On behalf of the laconic @whitenight, thanks guys. I note from FB that Delaney Hanson will be in the Thee Tuns, singing, from 11.15 tomorrow. Not sure if that’s a pro or a con.

• He's not one of the three long-haired Hanson brothers who had that big hit in the 90s is he? MMMBop??
    If so, definitely a con.

• Pass.

• I think Delaney is a regular punter who is inclined to burst into a few choruses of the standard terrace chants.

• Laments of old days and pubs in the town. The roobarb stronghold will be in fine voice and full of legends old and new. Talking of Delaney (John), let's have a rendition of the that 70's Loakes park favorite tomorrow.

• The Bootleggers isn't bad - decent selection of real/craft ales - in good beer guide and right opposite the station. If you're coming by train you can pop in there while waiting for the bus to the ground that leaves from outside the station at 13.15 and 14.15

• Do the bootlegger still have a no (home) colours policy, despite showing televised football? Disgraceful.

• Since the rugger buggers left town, amazingly the Bootleggers allow football supporters in. Would never give them my money.

• Staff have been excellent the few times I've been in. Can't remember if I had colours on. Didn't I hear that most pubs in Wycombe have a no football colours policy.

• Never ever had problems in the Bootleggers. Good for mixing with away fa

• ... fans usually.

Personally prefer Antelope though if I’ve time.

Met a load of very drunken Chesterfield fans on the tube across. Wished them well for next season. They were relatively complimentary about our behaviour last week

• Ok I think i'll head toward the park then for prematch, thanks all

• @el57, here's hoping that you enjoyed the day. There was a great pre-match atmosphere in the outside tent. The game itself was fairly entertaining, given that the result was academic.

• @el57 Were you one of the Orlando mob?