Skip to content

50 tickets left

Comments

• "I'm a little baffled too that this is going to be close to a sell out."

Because everyone will be happy and we've got something to celebrate and it will be fun

Quite extraordinary to have to explain to fellow supporters why Saturday will be good

• The team also need to put on a display of decent football to show that they deserve for the good people of High Wycombe to turn out in number more often next season. If they treat it as a pointless friendly the good people will, I think, be fairly unimpressed and not particularly interested in coming back.

You can probably tell from the tone of my writing that I am not greatly enthused for this one myself. Yes, it'll be good to have a chance to celebrate success and see the players get their awards and I will be there as usual (I don't like not to be in case I do miss something good) but it's one of very few games this season when I am feeling in advance that I would not actually be that bothered if for some reason I couldn't get there.

I generally don't go to the pre-season friendlies as I don't get much out of watching them, and I am frankly quite disappointed at the prospect that what will be the last competitive match for three months may end up being more like a friendly. I do hope they at least try to make it look like they are trying to win.

Roll on late June when the fixtures are released and I can start to get excited again, planning travel, finances and time off work to get to as many games as possible.

• FWIW most of the occasional attenders I know who are coming bought their tickets before Chesterfield and are slightly disappointed that it’s a dead rubber.

• Am I the only one just relieved the job is done and we can all have a party to celebrate?

• Definitely not!

• Yep where were these extra bodies on bums when they were needed in the dark days.
    I have noticed an increase in away numbers past birmingham though this season and that in itself is encouraging. But the least important game in years is deemed the most important?

• I'm glad we're not on tenterhooks for a result and I am hoping for a good attacking game myself. As for more people coming...that's football...we will probably end up with more cider soaked teens yelling abuse as well, but we should also celebrate that the team we've all been to see through rain, shine and Steve Evans has got the town excited and we might get a few more in next term.

• @eric_plant , but who are all these many people who are suddenly celebrating?
    It'll be good for us regulars, but what does it mean to the fly by nighters?

"i was there for...well, the game after they'd got promoted"

• There are loads of people who would call themselves Wycombe supporters but hardly ever go to games. I know loads, so would most people on here I'd say

They might have moved away, their circumstances might have changed, the might not be able to afford it etc etc

The more the merrier. Takes a particular sort of grump to get annoyed by it

• Will only be annoyed if I can't get to the real ale stand.....will not be sober for this one!

• The haribo and pop stand will be rammed. Hopefully the e-number rush and then the resulting blood sugar drop will be limited to the family stand!

• @bookertease said:
    Is it me, but do others find it somewhat weird that we will end up with one of our highest ever league attendances for probably the least important game we have played for a very long time.

Not that I'm complaining - really looking forward to the atmosphere.

I believe the last time we sold out was Blooms ore season testimonial vs Chelsea, a real nothing no points awarded game.

• edited May 2018

@eric_plant, who is getting annoyed? You're doing your party trick of twisting words again

I was "baffled" that it'll be a sell out, baffled in a good way - I think it'll be an epic end of season!

• DJ and I had this discussion on another thread.

One man's 'celebration match' is another man's 'dead rubber'. DJ was in the celebration camp. And fair play to him. I, like @Malone and @bookertease, am surprised (and delighted) that what is, in essence, the football equivalent of wandering around Wycombe Show (do they still have that?) has attracted such a large audience.

I am, however, very much looking forward to the 'event', even though just for once my heart won't be bursting out of my chest every time the ball gets dangerously close to either goalmouth.

• Bums on seats, chips in fat faces, beer in bellies is always a good thing. With Sunderland and Pompey in League One we should get some decent away followings and a couple of 'glamour' ties that might bump up attendances as we storm to the title.

• Judging from the Facebook page, and a handful of posts on here, a lot of the Wycombe diaspora are coming back home to celebrate the promotion.

• Back in the Isthmian lge days, I'm preetty sure Wanderers always requested an away fixture on Wycombe show day.

• @Wendoverman , the set of aways next year I think has to be one of the most appetising I can remember and covers loads of angles.

The Premier league ex boys Sunderland, Charlton, likely Bolton and possibly Birmingham/Reading (plus 2 below)

Coast teams - Blackpool, Southend, Portsmouth

Close proxmity games in the scheme of a national league

• Luton, Oxford, Gillingham, Wimbledon

Grudge games - 2 from the above, plus our beloved Rovers.

And others we just haven't played for ages.

Excellent stuff.

• You forgot Plymouth and Fleetwood from the coast teams and the former from the grudge matches.

• I'm lucky next season as I have two on my doorstep and i Keep Accy down the road. Hoping for Bolton another vey local one for me. I hope Oldham stay up but sadly that will be instead of Rochdale probaby and I hope Barnsley come down. Otherwise It's a bit sparse just Bradford and Doncaster to add to Sunderland.

Now here is a thing. What is the betting the Sunderland game will be a bloody Tuesday night! You know what that idiot who runs the Football league thinks.

• What's the betting Sunderland at home is moved for telly.

• Fingers crossed for Sunderland away at a decent time of year, with Newcastle having a Sunday home game.

In fact...can that happen,. or do they always alternate homes?

• I’m leaving on 80 minutes - not left early all season but Hillbottom Road will be carnage afterwards

• @Onlooker said:
    I’m leaving on 80 minutes - not left early all season but Hillbottom Road will be carnage afterwards

80 mins? Seriously? Hillbottom Road, who cares? Unless you're expected elsewhere afterwards.

• Like a few posters on here I was at Chesterfield and see tomorrow as an exhibition match.

• Couldn't manage Chesterfield sadly but I suppose I see tomorrow as a total celebration and a possibility to sign off with a high points total. I can understand your perspective.

• @ValleyWanderer said:
    80 mins? Seriously? Hillbottom Road, who cares? Unless you're expected elsewhere afterwards.

@Onlooker said:
    I’m leaving on 80 minutes - not left early all season but Hillbottom Road will be carnage afterwards

But you’ll miss the best part of the day. Makes more sense to arrive on 80 minutes!

• edited May 2018

If you leave on 80, you'll probably be home before anyone else leaves :)

More worried about the pre-match arrivals to be honest!

One extra bus, and Pladis opening a carpark is better than nothing, but probably not enough to deal with another 5,000 fans to normal is it?!

Can see the queue to the ground being back in Wycombe town centre, as many people probably won't allow, or won't even think it might be wise to get cracking earlier! Or go so infrequently, they'll have overlooked where the ground is situated versus available parking!

• This is why the gasroom is so special.

• Should be some quality away games next season; as I’m based in Sheffield, Doncaster, Rotherham, Barnsley (if relegated), otherwise Bolton/Birmingham, then there will be Scunny, Oldham or Rochdale, Burton, Sunderland. The list goes on!
    I can’t get down to home games as much as I like as it’s a three hour drive with work Saturday morning.
    I think it’s great that we will get a sell out as the lads deserve all the accolades they can get, with our tight budget, we have definitely overachieved this season. Hopefully we start getting 6,000+ attendances on a regular basis like we had in the glory days of Sean Devine, Keith Ryan and Richard Harris.