Skip to content

Stevenage: fighting for their contracts?

“Another Thriller to look forward to”
By BaldockBoro (Balders)28/4 12:24In response
Views: 444
I'm just looking forward to the players shuffling and staring awkwardly at their feet during the end of season awards (the last bit crossed out)

What I'd like is Dino to line them all up and walk slowly along the line-up, coffee in hand.

"You can fuck off"

"You can fuck off"

""Why are you even here"

"Well done Danny"

"You should be embarrassed"

"You can fuck off"

Comments

• Ah the joys of the internet football forum and its black or white world.

Stevenage will finish around midtable, about par for a club of their size.

so clearly its players should be abused..........

• It made me laugh @DevC sometimes people are utilising humour. It happens on here sometimes.

• Dino?

• @micra said:
    Dino?

Dino Maamria, Stevenage's manager.

• I wonder if Stevenage fans sing his name to the tune of the old Tom Jones / Nick Cave song `Weeping Annaleah'

• If they don't, they should. Perhaps the Valley End could teach it to the travelling hoards on Saturday?

• That would come over as nicely ironic.

• There are always songs that seem obvious but for some reason are never used.

I have always thought the old Harry Belafonte adaption of the jamaican folk song song, "the banana boat song", is a natural for Bayo
    "bayo, Baaaayyyyo, bayo jump/shoot and he score another goalll"

• I can't think of anything worse in! Are you living in a different age to everyone else with regards to what's acceptable in today's society ? It will have a massive misconception.

• A typical wind up merchant looking to wind people up

Best ignored I'd say

• @DevC Excellent, we can all do it in a funny Jim Davidson Chalkie White accent. Oh how Bayo will laugh. You know they drink Um Bongo in the Congo as well?

• Actually no, it can't be ignored

One of the most offensive posts I've ever seen on here. Sickening

Not even @Chris will be able to defend him now

• @eric_plant said:
    A typical wind up merchant looking to wind people up

Best ignored I'd say

Sadly, I doubt whether any wind-up was intended.

• Must agree, though, that typical wind up merchants do look to wind people up.

• Dev, you really are an obnoxious person at times.

• Predictable reaction to an admittedly tongue in cheek suggestion.

Interesting how our culture has developed that instead of recognising our history and learning from it but being open to listen to Jamaican folk songs arising from slavery, its simpler just to forget it, pretend it didn't happen and hide behind the "racism" tag. perhaps worth remembering that Harry Belafonte was keen to popularise caribbean folk music in his spare time while being a close confidante of martin Luther king as he fought for black rights. Still we know best huh?

you may prefer this song - which faces up to our past. cant work out how to tie it into Bayo though........

• Absolutely pathetic

My last word on this. Others will judge you for themselves

• Sadly, I suspect most of us tend to take musical taste into account when judging others. Say no more. I certainly won’t.

• You know Harry Belafonte was one of them black fellas, don't you, @DevC ?
    Might be more acceptable for him to sing a Jamaican folk/work song during the civil rights fight in the 1960s than me as one of them white fellas utilising it and putting on the comedy accent for a football song directed at a one of our black players?
    Although I am sure Mike Read and his funny UKIP calypso voice and patois was him celebrating our historic connections to the Commonwealth and not just making old racists laugh.

1. Deliberately light the touch paper and stand well back.
    2. Claim it was a joke if it all goes wrong
    3. Enjoy being important for 30 seconds
    4. Reload and repeat
  • it is a sad indictment of where we have got to that we cant all enjoy Caribbean folk music without being afraid of being accused of the R word. Meanwhile the "hostile environment" towards real people today goes relatively unchallenged (as it happens I am helping one victim cope with one such example as we speak) as long as their names and faces are not shown. But if they are and its dear old Gladys down the road, then and only then should we get upset. ho hum.

• 'it is a sad indictment of where we have got to that we cant all enjoy Caribbean folk music without being afraid of being accused of the R word.'
    'Kin 'ell.
    And I'm out.

• What absolute bollocks Dev.

• I don’t think anyone is saying you can’t enjoy the song. Harry Belafonte is an interesting and very impressive character. Day-o appeared prominently in the recent film Selma, which depicted a historic civil rights march in the US which in real life included Belafonte alongside MLK. There is no suggestion that the song itself is racist.

But as @Wendoverman says I do think there are too many connotations of the Jim Davidson comedy era if a largely white crowd were to attempt to imitate the Jamaican Patois of the song. And that you would have to be either naive or disingenuous not to recognise that.

• POTD Chris, very erudite response.

• I think you should let this one go Dev. I would be horrified to think that any song or chant would cause offence to any of the players in our squad.
    I don’t think you meant it to come across as racist but it was at best I’ll judged and you’re making it worse by trying to defend it.

• @Chris indeed. I should have known I was being DevC'd and not risen to the bait!

• My greater regret is that society seems to have reached the point where it is viewed as unconscionable to say something because someone else might regard it as racist or offensive. There was nothing insulting. inappropriate or racist about Dev's post unless you chose to insert into your own reading the unwritten suggestion that the terrace turn up in blacked-up faces, wearing curly-haired wigs and attempting a Jamaican patois to sing the song.

• How the fuck do you sing "bayo jump/shoot and he score another goalll" and it not be "attempting a Jamaican patois?

• Let's all think of something to the tune of CampTown Races...I think it's terrible you cannot be a fan of Minstrel songs of the 1890s without being called a racist. Join in everybody: 'Adams Park dey sing dis sawng Doo-dah! doo-dah!'
    (Hand waves in white gloves optional)