Skip to content

Match day thread: Chesterfield

Comments

• it was bizarre

It looked to me like he was either expecting the whistle to go for a foul or offside

• There's nothing odd about it is there? He simply took a bad touch and overran it?

• I assume it's the same CMS incident, although at the time I thought he had a couple of touches and then turned back into the defenders. Clearly the video shows he has a bad first touch, seems he almost hit his heel and go backwards.
    Thanks to Tyson and Dom Gape it didn't matter in the end.

• "Scenes" and "Limbs", as the kids apparently say...

Also "Ouch!", as a couple of fans probably said.

• edited April 2018

The Mackail-Smith incident at 1:48 on the "video from home end" above: I am still no clearer than I was on the day why Mackail-Smith doesn't have a shot. He's past the Chesterfield defenders, through 1-on-1 with the keeper, but his head's down and he appears deliberately to check back and try to find a team mate to lay the ball off to.

• Ah, there were 2 incidents then!

The one he overran it, and the 1.48 one where he doesn't have as much time, and goes the wrong way.
    I don't remember the 1.48 one at all from the day.

• @Ned_Ludd said:
    "Scenes" and "Limbs", as the kids apparently say...

Also "Ouch!", as a couple of fans probably said.

That has to be non-football action video of the season... :-)

• @StrongestTeam - I wonder if it was the same agency, as we got sent to Elm Park for one game that season (Charlton, I think). I much preferred Stevenage to Chelsea. I was on the halfway line at the former every week, while sometimes not even within view of the pitch at Chelsea.

• Commentary highlights... I had a bit of headache yesterday so just got round to it:

https://philcatchpole.com/2018/04/30/commentary-highlights-chesterfield-v-wycombe-wanderers/

• @nedd_ludd That's the best video I've ever seen. So much going on! Gutted I wasn't there

• The club do some superb stuff for match days but that particular video captures so much, as you say - the nerves, the anticipation and the release of all that energy.

I do feel slightly for the two women walking across (I assume they were Chesterfield staff). Of all the times to be there...

• @drcongo said:
    Poking around on Twitter, there’s an impressive number of Sheffield Wednesday fans congratulating the club, several mentioning the applause we gave them when they got promoted in 2012.

Living in Sheffield myself, a lot of Wednesday fans have taken on Wycombe as a second club - that 2012 day for sure. Also might be due to United fans not liking us down to Ainsworth ending someone’s career in the 90s?!

• Anyone else feel really sad such an amazing day is over? I know it’s a perverse feeling given the circumstances but everything about it was just brilliant.

• @OxfordBlue said:
    Anyone else feel really sad such an amazing day is over? I know it’s a perverse feeling given the circumstances but everything about it was just brilliant.

Yep. I just want to relive Gape's goal, the final whistle, and the pitch invasion again and again and again. You won't be able to wipe a smile off my face for weeks though!

• @OxfordBlue said:
    Anyone else feel really sad such an amazing day is over? I know it’s a perverse feeling given the circumstances but everything about it was just brilliant.

Maybe but I’ll get goose bumps for the rest of my life when I watch the highlights. I made the mistake of telling my wife that watching gapes goal bought tears of joy, to which I got ‘you didn’t cry at our wedding,’ whoops! Just keep watching all the videos that are out there and remember we’ve got Saturday to look forward to, it’ll just be one big party I can’t wait.

• @StrongestTeam - I hear you! Though I did stand next to Zola as he took a corner once. Could have patted him on the head. Enjoy the game too, mate.

• I think saturday will be a very special occasion with a predicted sell out the weather looking promising and no pressure its going to be a festival atmosphere i cant wait!!!

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Article in the Guardian today on the demise of Chesterfield, including quote from Gareth and mention of their £2m wage bill being the six highest in League Two.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2018/may/02/chesterfield-relegation-from-football-league

• it really is quite a fall from grace. If management on and off the field are not great, you can still fail even if budgets are high. Do feel though that it is only a matter of time before they are back.

Talking of budgets, it was revealed on TV last night that Plymouth (attracting 10,000 per game) still have only 15th or 16th highest budget in Div 1. We are going to be very much the paupers next season.

• We certainly will be in the bottom 4 lowest budgets, but luckily football isn't totally played on finance sheets.

We've a cracking forward line, plenty of good players across the park and the momentum and high of this promotion.

We certainly need a solid 2 or 3 starters though. We all know where after 20 different threads on it.

• Together with AFC of course.

• edited May 2018

Friend from work is AFC fan. Breathed a sigh of relief this morning with me, then commented on the poverty of hope that sees non-relegation as success. We turned it into a positive by saying that they'd got over the second-season curse. Certainly, I'd view survival next season for us as a success, so long as there were signs of forward movement still.

• @HCBlue survival next season would be a sign of forward movement for me!

• Fifth bottom next year would be fine.

• That’s the kind of realistic expectation that we’ll all need to adopt. It’ll be tough but hugely enjoyable.

• As long as we beat Sunderland and Luton home and away...I'll see that as a success.

• Agree to an extent, but no less than the great man MON once said that when you "start thinking consolidation, start thinking relegation".

We need to look at how the last 16 promoted teams have fared.
    All stayed up, only 1 in a relegation battle.

• Our aim should be to win the League, of course.

• 'Well we'll get to fifty points and then anything else is a bonus...'