Skip to content

Comments

• think being kind with gape and browm marks!

• I am annoyed with the Gareth press statement regarding Bayo, 09 and Gape. Judging by the hoiking of Gape he wasn't fit. Accy were well worth the win, again not enough Wycombe players were on form today, all the early promise disintegrated with Browns howler. It is what GKs do. Unfortunately it affected WW really badly and put Accy in charge of the game. On to Chesterfield it is our own hands lets hope the team are stronger and more focused next week.

• edited April 2018

Thanks, @vital.

I'm kind of with you, @ft2drop, assuming you're referring to Gareth's interview with Phil.

"..all of them will be back for Saturday..." is the quote I've just taken from the first minute of the interview, talking about O'Nien, Gape, Bayo and Kashket. This was not qualified in any way.

It's one thing to conceal the full facts of one's squad's fitness - I'm accustomed to, and accepting of, not getting the full picture - but it seems quite another to tell clear untruths in the way that seems to have been the case here (making the assumption that a man as obviously thoughtful and thorough in his work will have had a good idea of the state of fitness of his charges before giving this interview).

Phil is well able to take care of himself but I feel inclined to some measure of indignation on his behalf for having had an interview used to disseminate falsities and, as I said above, I find a difference in my own willingness to accept this as a listener, and fan, compared to the usual obfuscation. By all means, muddy the waters to avoid having to give a clear statement of the position regarding injuries, but don't lie to us, Gareth.

• Yep. He lied. That's it really. No doubt to throw the OPPO off the scent but that's what hapoened

• No chance of course that 09 and Bayo turned up in worse shape this morning than they left the training ground in last night. No, Ainsworth is a liar. It must be that.

• Kind scores all-round this week!

• Politicians don't lie.....neither do Football Managers;-)

• edited April 2018

Gareth doesn't seem given to absolute statements to me, @floyd. I recall very few such utterances from him before on the question of player fitness. If there had been any question of their fitness for the game today, he is well-used to equivocating when asked about it - it's his default setting.

• @HCblue which surely makes it even more likely that their conditions complicated overnight. GA doesn't seem like someone who would lie outright.

• I'm not sure the one follows from the other as you suggest, @floyd.

Judging from his presence on the bench this afternoon, Luke was not suffering from a bug, nor do I see any suggestion anywhere that Bayo's injury suddenly got worse overnight.

I get that you are looking to apply a generous interpretation in the presence of doubt and I share your positive impression of Gareth as a starting point. However, I suggest there is little or no ground for doubt and that the best interpretation of Gareth's words yesterday is that he was being untruthful. The most likely alternative is that he suddenly decided that he was going to start being completely open about the fitness of his players, after years of humming and hawing perfectly happily on such subjects. At his first attempt to be the new, completely open interviewee, he was betrayed by the great misfortune that two of the four players whose fitness he described as fine were suddenly not fit to play the next day.

The reason I think to bring it up, by the way, is that the implication of this approach, as I see it, is that the listener to these interviews (me) forms the, correct, impression that they are likely to contain statements that are wholly untrue and that they are thus wholly meaningless. The listener therefore learns to pay no heed to the material and feels distanced from the speaker (and the club he represents) when recognising that they in fact have no desire to communicate honestly or openly with them. Most listeners can deal with some level of this: few of us fail to appreciate that complete openness is not always in the interests of the communicating party. But this listener draws the line at being lied to directly in order to serve the manager's purposes and starts to form the alienated mindset theorised about above.

• everybody knows that luke pulled something at Yeovil and that wasn't gonna be better in a week and also Bayo is in a protective boot and has been all week.
    GA is a liar simple as that and also picked the wrong team today.

• Come on liar is far too strong. He is just protecting his selections. Ridiculous comment

• @M3G said:
    Come on liar is far too strong. He is just protecting his selections. Ridiculous comment

Indeed.

• @HCblue said:
    I'm not sure the one follows from the other as you suggest, floyd.

Judging from his presence on the bench this afternoon, Luke was not suffering from a bug, nor do I see any suggestion anywhere that Bayo's injury suddenly got worse overnight.

I get that you are looking to apply a generous interpretation in the presence of doubt and I share your positive impression of Gareth as a starting point. However, I suggest there is little or no ground for doubt and that the best interpretation of Gareth's words yesterday is that he was being untruthful. The most likely alternative is that he suddenly decided that he was going to start being completely open about the fitness of his players, after years of humming and hawing perfectly happily on such subjects. At his first attempt to be the new, completely open interviewee, he was betrayed by the great misfortune that two of the four players whose fitness he described as fine were suddenly not fit to play the next day.

The reason I think to bring it up, by the way, is that the implication of this approach, as I see it, is that the listener to these interviews (me) forms the, correct, impression that they are likely to contain statements that are wholly untrue and that they are thus wholly meaningless. The listener therefore learns to pay no heed to the material and feels distanced from the speaker (and the club he represents) when recognising that they in fact have no desire to communicate honestly or openly with them. Most listeners can deal with some level of this: few of us fail to appreciate that complete openness is not always in the interests of the communicating party. But this listener draws the line at being lied to directly in order to serve the manager's purposes and starts to form the alienated mindset theorised about above.

And there was> @rmjlondon said:

everybody knows that luke pulled something at Yeovil and that wasn't gonna be better in a week and also Bayo is in a protective boot and has been all week.

@rmjlondon said:
    everybody knows that luke pulled something at Yeovil and that wasn't gonna be better in a week and also Bayo is in a protective boot and has been all week.

@rmjlondon said:

@ValleyWanderer said:
    Indeed.

And unless Luke was also ‘lying’ I overheard him telling someone that the bug he had left him feeling drained and he just didn’t feel his usual self this morning.

• Maybe @HCblue, and I certainly share your reservations about taking seriously what managers say in press interviews. But that isn’t down to GA and didn’t start yesterday.

Maybe Bayo woke up with a tight calf, maybe it cramped up in the car. Maybe Richie is right about 09 feeling drained this morning and Ainsworth felt that playing him and Gape was too much of a risk. Certainly those are more likely alternatives to him lying about it.

• Rightly or wrongly, I worry that lengthy diatribes and interminable childish spats are going to bring my iPhone to a grinding halt because I assume it doesn’t have infinite capacity. When the usually dependable @glasshalffull contrives to reproduce someone else’s comments in triplicate, those worries increase, especially as I’ve no idea how to delete historical posts. Surely, if you’re replying within minutes to someone else’s posts, there’s no need to reproduce their comment at all.

• @micra said:
    Rightly or wrongly, I worry that lengthy diatribes and interminable childish spats are going to bring my iPhone to a grinding halt because I assume it doesn’t have infinite capacity. When the usually dependable glasshalffull contrives to reproduce someone else’s comments in triplicate, those worries increase, especially as I’ve no idea how to delete historical posts. Surely, if you’re replying within minutes to someone else’s posts, there’s no need to reproduce their comment at all.

Completely agree with your last sentence Surely, if you’re replying within minutes to someone else’s posts, there’s no need to reproduce their comment at all. @micra

• Sorry Micra, you’re quite right. Still trying to get the hang of this posting malarkey and was half asleep after reading all the sniping, guesswork and pretentious waffle that you allude to.

• Unusually modest of you, @glasshalffull.

• edited April 2018

You're right to caution against making too many assumptions in a desire to arrive at a desired conclusion, @floyd. I am trying to deduce the correct one rather than the one I want to arrive at and am willing to concede I don't know for sure. But if I had to bet £50 of my own money on this, I'd put it on Gareth knowing yesterday, when interviewed, that at least one of Bayo or Luke was unlikely to be available today. How about you?

• @HCblue said:
    Unusually modest of you, glasshalffull.

Unusually succinct of you, HCblue.

• I thought Gape was ok. He is such a classy player, I think next season he'll establish himself as one of our best ever midfielders.

• @rmjlondon 's hatred of Gareth is getting beyond parody.

• I thought Gape was playing magnificently for about half an hour (as were the whole team) until he lost possession 10 yards inside the Accrington half with the whole team bar Scott Brown pushing well forward. As we know, Accrington took full advantage. It soon became clear that Dom Gape was, not surprisingly., suffering the after effects of his illness earlier in the week. We know Luke and Bayo also had it (and also Kashket I believe) and I did wonder if one or two others had also been affected.

Psychologically, that second goal must have had a devastating effect and I think most of us, never mind an injury and illness affected team, felt that the task had become virtually impossible.

Talking about “pushing forward”, I noticed that Michael Harriman was nowhere to be seen as Kayden Jackson (not Billy Kee as someone suggested yesterday) easily robbed Nathan McGinley, taking so much time to walk the ball into the net that I assumed the referee had blown for an infringement.