Skip to content

Lincoln (a) attendance prediction

Comments

• Now that takes some pre-match planning. 'Ticket? Scarf? Have you got your piss bag....?'

• Lincoln certainly deserve a great deal of respect but let’s not forget that we are 10 points ahead of them having played only one game more.

• It's the worse thing isn't it...we've got in this position and now we are desperately sure that all of the teams below us are going to nick it! There be dragons.

• They were throwing coins at us - nasty lot that day

• edited April 2018

As we are able to buy on the night is there any chance imposters could bolster our crowd or even help sell out our allocation?

• Imposters or imp imposters

• 8785 with 308 Chairpersons. 1-0 win (JJ pen).

• @Onlooker if they're in the away end they're Wycombe fans, they all count.

Wonder if they will be handing out LTE calling cards by that bridge tonight?

• For any fellow ignoramuses who are bemused by the abbreviation LTE, it apparently stands for Long Term Evolution and relates to a type of SIM (subscriber identity module) for mobile phones which offers much greater speed on the 4G network.

I haven’t been able to identify the bridge.

• Imps fan in peace.

Firstly looking forward to a really good game tonight and a great atmosphere- we are really looking at a play off place (in all honesty) and tonight, along with our away game at Coventry, are our two difficult games in hand. Top 3 is out of our reach now.

Stacey West stand tonight will be for home and away fans with the middle block as the segregated area (we have a wider segregation than any premier league- lord knows why). Around 700 home fans and however many WWFC are bringing. Home tickets now completely sold out as they will be for Colchester and Yeovil at home for our next two home games.

LCFC is a very very different club to 30, 20, 10 years ago- there will be no bags of urine or LTE wandering around. The old reputation doesnt reflect this club anymore. Any away fans tonight will get a warm reception. LCFC is very much a family club now- huge Junior and Ladies Imps sections (the ladies toilets had longer queues than the gents at Wembley last week!) and a real passion for our club, our city and our history has arisen. The Cowley brothers are genuine leaders in creating a community club again which has re-found it's community fan base and then some. The atmosphere particularly from 617 squadron is pretty good these days :)

Not bad for two Essex boys who probably hadn't heard of Lincoln 2 years ago. Undoubtedly success brings fans in but we have not had crowds like this for 50 years (our average home attendance this season is higher than any season since 63/64- even the great days of Graham Taylor didn't match the fans numbers now.

Been really impressed with Wycombe this season and tonight will be one of our biggest challenges- of course I want a Lincoln win but any win tonight won't dent your promotion, just delay it.

Finally, the usual parking site for home and away fans (the South Common) has the April fayre being set up so parking will not be as easy tonight- you may want to add 15 - 20 minutes to your journey time if you need to park in a side street instead.

Good luck for the rest of the season even if tonight doesn't go your way

• M3GM3G
    edited April 2018

Cheers, great post that. Interested to know what was the catalyst for the change, The promotion? The FAC run? But shows you what can be achieved . Also interested to know what you feel the catchment area for the club is? Does Skegness and other places have strong Lincoln followings ? I knew doing my own research that these gates are remarkable as three years ago the club was at rock bottom. Should be interesting game tonight with identical styles in operation.

• @LincolnImp said:
    Imps fan in peace.

we have a wider segregation than any premier league- lord knows why

Bags of piss?

• Hadn't really planned on a second post however to answer some of the questions.

The work Danny and Nicky have done has always been about sustainability long term- the amount of local work they do (school, clubs, etc) is phenomenal. The club have had the foresight and vision to match the ambition with their own- for most home games, there is a fan zone outside the club bar (back of the Bridge Mcfarlane stand) where both sets of fans can enjoy food, drinks, some games for kids etc. Even against our most bitter rivals, there has been no sign of hostility around the ground.

Just one single example of how they understand the importance of the fans- Wembley, first time for the Cowleys ever at the national stadium. They didn't lead the teams on to the pitch. They asked the last surviving "legendary" Lincoln manager, Colin Murphy, to lead the team out on to the pitch. That they would give up their chance to lead their team at their first visit to Wembley for someone who Lincoln fans over 40 years old hold very dear to their hearts was exceptional and will not be forgotten.

When city fans sang continuously for the last 25 minutes when 4-1 down at home to Crewe in February (we were shockingly bad) "City til I die" and "Danny Cowleys red and white army"- it felt something has changed at our club.

As regards our catchment area- really difficult to say (I have a 40 mile round trip to see them play at home) as we are a provincial city in a rural setting and the next nearest league club is around 35 miles away (Scunthorpe). Lincoln is a growing city with a conurbation population of around 120,000 and a city population of around 90,000 with around 350,000 living within 20 miles of the city. The club has invested heavily in understanding where it's 6,000 season ticket holder live to see what opportunities we have for growth.

Skegness is about 40 miles from Lincoln- probably on the outer limits of where fans will travel from (I don't know any who travel from the east coast but there will no doubt be a few).

Momentum is sustained by success however, even if we don't make the play-offs, there is a strong possibility we will be looking at higher season ticket sales next season.

We are NOT EFL2 Barcelona- we have a style which is our own and which is high pressing, targeted on key forward players and at the limit of the laws of the game sometimes. The Cowleys work with the players to optimise and play to their strengths.

Most of us still think this is a dream- week before last the biggest set of Lincoln city fans ever to watch the Imps play were at Wembley. Three years ago that would have been laughed at as utterly nonsensical.

Anyway I have taken up enough of your forum.

Cheers

• Ok Thanks. Fan Zones are at most grounds now, I expect you enjoyed ours in August. Most of what you have said is the model that lower league clubs use. Momentum is indeed a great thing. Best of luck. After tonight of course!

• A Southend supporting colleague is hoping the Cowleys will come home before long!
    I like Lincoln...a day trip from Nottingham on the train for us kids in the olden days...and I hope you win the Play-off final. Hopefully tonight will be an inexplicably poor home performance...

• @drcongo said:
    Bags of piss?

Assuming you aren’t being disingenuous @drcongo the answer is in a post by @ChasHarps (can’t recall thread) regarding an incident at Sincil Bank 30 years ago involving wee missiles.

• Two excellent and very enlightening posts from @Lincolnimp.

• Or possibly @LincolnImp ?

• @micra - my post was an answer to @LincolnImp's "we have a wider segregation than any premier league- lord knows why"

@LincolnImp Thanks for the two excellent posts.

• Colin Murphy's programme notes... Legendary.

He must've been chuffed to be asked to do the honours at the Home of Football.

• Here is the spreadsheet for tonight - ordered for the size of the Wycombe crowd as I suspect people will find that the most interesting.
    We collectively on average say 415 true blues in a 9604 total crowd.

I predict 2 - 3 final score: I will do some more colouring of the score predictions in as the game approaches to keep the anxiety at bay.

If anyone else predicts I will add before the start of game - I can't be there tonight - will be listening or watching the texts depending on the quality of the wifi.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1FU9nBbo2vJXwwz1xRkOHpmV4y9Re2gPNBu4mQq_8vIs/edit?usp=sharing

• 9997 with 494 in the away end for a 1-1 draw - Harriman with the Blues goal.

• I'm predicting 3-2 wycombe Bayo to beat his record and me to cash in

• I just watched the video of our great escape against Lincoln, having not seen it before.

Can anyone enlighten me as to why the Lincoln fans ran onto the pitch and tried to confront the Wycombe supporters at the final whistle? Did they win promotion on the same day we secured survival or was it just hooliganism?

• Didn't we relegate them?

• Ah, makes sense.

• Even though I was at that game I just had to check that "fact" as I have a truly awful memory. But it looks like we did, yes.

• @OxfordBlue said:
    I just watched the video of our great escape against Lincoln, having not seen it before.

Can anyone enlighten me as to why the Lincoln fans ran onto the pitch and tried to confront the Wycombe supporters at the final whistle? Did they win promotion on the same day we secured survival or was it just hooliganism?

Having just watched this I remember the big skinhead in green down the front. He was inviting the whole terrace to come and have a go. I next saw him about half an hour later standing on a roundabout trying to take on the coaches as they sped past, a truly mental man. I think he may have been looking for Paul Emblem!

• How many made it?