Skip to content

Match day thread: Yeovil

Comments

• @Doob @clifty04 I do so hope I'm wrong. But, honestly, who thought that Exeter would get a point today? Accrington at home, needing a win to guarantee promotion. Yet Exeter took the lead and had more shots & shots on target than Accrington.
    I certainly won't be putting money on Exeter NOT to win all their four remaining games nor, I suspect, will GA. That said, I stand by my statement thatj we need 8pts to be promoted on goal difference.
    Meanwhile, I'm hoping we win our next two and win promotion at home next week as Exeter lose to Chesterfield mid week.

• The fact Accrington needed a win to get promotion is exactly why I thought Exeter would get a point today.
    Pressure at this time of season, results happen.... @Twizz

• Exeter will be under pressure on Tuesday as well it’s not a guaranteed win . Lots of strange results at this time of the season everyone at top apart from Luton has some sort of pressure

• I would be more confident of getting a point at Sincil Bank - I really can’t see us winning there - if I knew that one out of McGinley, Jombati or Stewart would be available to partner Adam El-Abd. He may now be the last man standing and heaven help us if he picks up an injury. Now I didn’t think I’d be saying that earlier in the season.

Ironic that, just when we thought competition to partner Adam was about to become an unexpected luxury, we could be forced into playing Marcus Bean there.

I hope this untimely feeling of pessimism about the centre of our defence proves unfounded and that McGinley’s knock heals quickly or that one of the other two is able to play.

• @clifty04. Hope 6 pts, think 8 pts, know 9pts - will get us promoted. Football is as much about who can deliver on the day as much as anything and pressure certainly will play it's part between now and May 5th.

What was it we were urged to do at Torquay? BELIEVE.

Where's that flag that says "I BELIEVED" when you need it?

• edited April 2018

Excellent interview, @bluntphil . GA clearly worried about the 2nd centre back if he's talking about recalling WDH. Just listened to Cowley's interview too, and he was very disappointed in their 2nd half effort at Port Vale. So there will certainly be a reaction. Tuesday may be the toughest game of the season. Rhead & co will be in full-on bully-boy mode. Unmissable.

• Man if we end up with WDH in central defence on Tuesday - having just been out for a fortnight injured himself - and we scrape a win it will be almost as impressive as that result against Plymouth with Baz in goal.

• I'm thinking back to the Man City game in the Great Escape season, and the role played by Michael Forsyth that day (not comparing Forsyth with WDH, just the scenario of the gaping hole at the back filled by a player who hadn't played for the first team in months, for a massive away game...)

• I wouldn't feel comfortable defending a 5 goal head-start with WDH at centre back. Lincoln will tear him apart if recalled.

• Best option for me is Harriman at centre back and Freeman at right back if Moore not fit.

• That performance at Man City still sends shivers down my spine.

• @Midlander said:
    Best option for me is Harriman at centre back and Freeman at right back if Moore not fit.

Now that’s what I call radical!
    I can just see our 5’6” central defender shackling 6’4” Matt Rhead or 6’5” Ollie Palmer!
    And how often have you seen Nick Freeman defending in or near the box?
    Back to the drawing board, I think.

• If WDH is fit he’d do a better job than any non-CB in the squad I’m sure.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • @aloysius said:
    Man if we end up with WDH in central defence on Tuesday - having just been out for a fortnight injured himself - and we scrape a win it will be almost as impressive as that result against Plymouth with Baz in goal.

He hasn't exactly been injured. Was suspended by the league due to having concussion after being knocked out in his last game.

• Concussion is an injury and its thoughts like that as to why head injuries aren't taken seriously enough.

• Ainsworth said O'Nien would have been the emergency CB yesterday, although of course he's injured now as well. If McGinley was fit enough to keep going yesterday, surely he'll be good to go with another 48 hours rest.

• @SEWanderer said:
    Concussion is an injury and its thoughts like that as to why head injuries aren't taken seriously enough.

It is taken seriously that is why he was suspended!

• Sorry if I've misunderstood but your phrasing "he hasn't exactly been injured" seems to suggests you think otherwise.

Anyway - we'd be stupid not to recall him; need as many fit bodies as possible.

• Don't we all remember the doom mongers at the beginning of the season warning us we would be third with points over our nearest rivals going into the final four games? I would much rather be safely in tenth with nothing to play for.

• Couple of other impressions from yesterday
    1) PCH body language all wrong. Hung around away from squad during warm ups (even when they came over to make him involved). Last off in warmup , first on pitch over halftime. Just didn't look right. Noticeable that the other three atracking subs got on, not him. Doesn't look good for him.
    2) McGinley played very well despite looking like he lacked confidence. Very good young defender waiting to come out when he believes in himself
    3) good to see Bayo taking the trouble to congratulate McGinley after the whistle and pointing out to him how important was the role he played. bayo really is a crucial part of the squad - not just on the pitch
    4) Kashket is alarmingly lightweight when not scoring goals.

• When he's not scoring goals Bayo just looks like a big bloke on the pitch as well. And that Brownie...when he's not punching, kicking or saving. He's just standing there. Sort it out Gareth!

• That's the point, wendover. When he is not scoring goals, Bayo is still playing a huge part. SK doesn't.

• I think that’s the kind of player he is, a poacher who turns up in the right place to convert a half chance. Perhaps not ideal in the 4-3-3 system that we play, but a great option to have.

• Interesting personal profile feature on Tyson in today's FL Paper - when asked to name his best mates in the squad says it's impossible as it's such a good, tight-knit group, and doesn't sound like he's just saying that for effect.

Also, funny to hear that Scotty apparently never, ever shuts up. And that Sido takes leftovers from lunch home so he doesn't have to buy himself dinner.

• I think thats unfair on Scotty Kashket. Admittedly not as much this season (yet) but his pace, movement and ability to find space does give defenders something different to worry about even when he’s not scoring goals.

• Harriman, who is about 5ft 6 at centre back? DOL of the season

• Further to @DevC 's post, I am wondering what PCH has done to be so clearly in the dog house. The lad clearly has a bit of attitude about him, but it is a sad side plot to a great season of camaraderie for him to be kicked to the curb.

Besides all that, Tyson really showed why he is the best wide man in the 4-3-3 this season once he came on. Always so full of intent and pace.

• @Shev said:
    Further to DevC 's post, I am wondering what PCH has done to be so clearly in the dog house. The lad clearly has a bit of attitude about him, but it is a sad side plot to a great season of camaraderie for him to be kicked to the curb.

Besides all that, Tyson really showed why he is the best wide man in the 4-3-3 this season once he came on. Always so full of intent and pace.

My guess is, Paris was playing brilliantly, clearly enjoying his football and scoring goals. He then had a poor performance v Coventry, but who didn't. He then didn't feature at all for ages until he came on in the 91st minute at Notts County. I'm presuming he maybe questioned that which Ainsworth took offence to and which is why he therefore wasn't in the squad for the Grimsby game despite only having six subs.
    This is all speculation of course, but I know 2 different people who saw Paris in the car park before the Grimsby and asked if he was injured as not in squad and he confirmed he wasn't and that there'd been a disagreement.

He's clearly a confidence player with maybe a tiny bit of attitude, but the Paris we saw from middle of Jan to end of Feb was outstanding and one of the best in the league, and showed no signs of an attitude whatsoever. In fact, the only attitude he showed was an incredibly positive one.

• So your assumption Adam is that any disagreement is the fault of "the f"cling gypo" and not of PCH himself?