Skip to content

Contracts

Great battling performance yesterday, we look like we have leaders all over the pitch and the players are enjoying themselves.

As we have two weeks off I guess we are going to have to fill it with some speculation and opinions.

Loanies
Dan Scarr (Birmingham)
Whilst he’s looked good at times,
I feel he needs another year at League Two level and even then there may be better loan options elsewhere. 50/50

Will De Havilland (contracted until 2018)
Never convinced, can’t see why we ever signed him. RELEASE

Max Müller (contracted until 2018)
A gamble that hasn’t paid off. RELEASE

Scott Brown (contracted until 2018)
It will be extremely interesting if we do go up what players Ainsworth keeps. I personally don’t have a huge problem with Brown and I think his distribution yesterday was excellent, but he’s definitely mid table League Two standard, no higher and I would we would release him at the end of the season no doubt. RELEASE

Sido Jombati (contracted until 2018)
I’m not sure he’s getting kept on as Ainsworth doesn’t seem to trust him. I personally think he’s a very good player and his versatility has been extremely useful since he joined. 1 year.

Joe Jacobson (contracted until 2018)
Absolute wand of a left peg and crucial for set pieces. He’s pure luxury at League Two level every week. I still feel he can be got at defensively and although he wouldn’t be the most critical change needed if promoted, Ainsworth may be on the lookout. Saying that I doubt we’d get much better. 2 year.

Marcus Bean (contracted until 2018)
I say the same every year, although he has had a better season this year. Not a footballer IMHO and could be upgraded without too much hassle. RELEASE

Matt Bloomfield (contracted until 2018)
Great to see him featuring more regularly this season, perhaps for nostalgic reasons rather than for the displays themselves. Someone has to be fifth/sixth choice though for central midfielder positions and you don’t want this person to be a energy sapper. 1 year.

Sam Saunders (contracted until 2018)
When he turns it on he’s pure electric and still shows flashes of the 2015 season whilst on loan. Not sure he’d be productive enough at League One level. 50/50

Adebayo Akinfenwa (contracted until 2018)
What a player and what a guy. Sooo good to watch and a unique threat to any defence at any level. Another year for the big man please.

Nathan Tyson (contracted until 2018)
It’s incredible the pace, quality and perseverance he still possesses well into his thirties. Great to see him stay injury free too. 1 year.

Craig Mackail-Smith (contracted until 2018)
As Ainsworth discussed in his post match interview, he really does have the knack of being in the correct position to score goals. Another older player with a fantastic attitude. 1 year.

Contracted until summer 2019
Michael Harriman (contracted until 2019)
Pleased to see him back and after his time out it’s easy to see his qualities. Extend 1 year.

Adam El-Abd (contracted until 2019)
What a couple of performances he has put in, and certainly put the doubters to bed. Not sure he quite has the speed to perform at League One level and you’d have to consider whether he would be used much at that level. Saying that it would leave us with only AS as the permanent centre half in the summer. 50/50.

Luke O'Nien (contracted until 2019)
What a fantastic signing he has been, his improvement is vast and his abilities to hold possession under difficult circumstances is impressive. I’d be far happier if we extended his deal until 2021.

Dominic Gape (contracted until 2019)
Basically see above.

Paris Cowan-Hall (contracted until 2019)
One of my favourite ever Wycombe players, although the list is long. Hopefully it’s just pure rumours about yesterday’s fall out. Love his desire and his previous goals really contributed to our great spell of form. I’d definitely keep him.

Scott Kashket (contracted until 2019)
Love the goal and celebration yesterday. The guys pure class. Hopefully his injuries are behind him and he can really kick on. I wouldn’t look to extend given these issues yet.

Contracted until summer 2020
Anthony Stewart (contracted until 2020)
Come back soon, I miss you.

Nick Freeman (contracted until 2020)
Great improvement since he signed. I’ve got a feeling he could have a massive contribution left to make this season. Promotion wouldn’t be a step to far.

Comments

• edited April 2018

I see it pretty much exactly the same as you @Bacon_Sandwich .

A little less harsh on Bean perhaps, but agree on all the big decisions.

A triumphant Pierre coming home, after a dreadful Northampton season maybe? We definitely need another centre back, with Stewart while not being injury prone as such, he seems to to have bad luck with missing long periods of time, and El Abd potentially finding the higher division hard work.

I'd miss Jombati massively out of the "leavers".
    Brown I think is guaranteed to not only leave, but go back to Cheltenham. His comments in their press before our game at their place were beyond hints. We definitely can and need to do better in league 1.

Therefore, I do agree that it's really Saunders that is the big decision. He's missed so many games, and isn't as influential as he was a few years ago. Can he refind that form, and play more games in a higher division? That's a big ask.

• It obviously depends whether we go up or not. If we do go up I agree with most of what you say excepting;

I would not keep Sido as his mistakes will get punished more severely in the first division.

I would give Beano another year mainly as cover due to his adaptability (I think he will retire though)

I would definitely keep El Abd for his experience and leadership

I wouldn't keep Paris as he sulks too much and is not a team player.

I would try and sign Wiliams as I think he could be something special if he got a run of games. He could learn a lot from CMS and Tyson.

• Bean over Bloomfield for me and Paris needs to sort hiself out if he’s to stay. I still think he’s got something to offer and could make a difference this season but if he’s gonna upset the apple cart get shot of him. I’d keep el abd especially if we go up, league one is less physical so the defence needs more organisation and positioning but I’d love another decent centre back and would def be in the bring Pierre back camp if we got the chance

• Brown deffo go and Jombati and probably Jacobson who I think lacks pace but has a great left foot but his legs are on the way out judging by some of his performances this season.

• What are the Parish Village Hall rumours from yesterday Bacon Sandwich?
    Pierre to do a Stewart and come home as the second prodigal son sounds good.
    Sure Beano will retire, loved his contribution though.
    Must keep Sido, versatile and skilful, love the unpredictability.
    My worry is midfield , Saunders isn’t the player he was (or still thinks he is). Whilst Gape and O9 are full of Gazlike lung busting energy and their industry makes them terrace favourites neither offer what a div1 mid field needs - the ability to put a foot on the ball, look up, create space, play the killer pass. To find such a talisman will be expense, perhaps beyond our resources.
    Interesting times ahead, hopefully.

• the ability to put a foot on the ball, look up, create space, play the killer pass

Sounds like Saunders - but the risk is his fitness.

• Absolute no brainer giving Saunders another year, especially if we go up

Ditto JJ

• @eric_plant A fit Saunders, absolutely yes, but I do wonder how many games he will be able to play next season. He doesn't seem like someone who's going to be able to play 30+ games anymore, although I'd be delighted to be proven wrong.

• @Bacon_Sandwich said:
    Great battling performance yesterday, we look like we have leaders all over the pitch and the players are enjoying themselves.

As we have two weeks off I guess we are going to have to fill it with some speculation and opinions.

Loanies
    Dan Scarr (Birmingham)
    Whilst he’s looked good at times,
    I feel he needs another year at League Two level and even then there may be better loan options elsewhere. 50/50

Will De Havilland (contracted until 2018)
    Never convinced, can’t see why we ever signed him. RELEASE

Max Müller (contracted until 2018)
    A gamble that hasn’t paid off. RELEASE

Scott Brown (contracted until 2018)
    It will be extremely interesting if we do go up what players Ainsworth keeps. I personally don’t have a huge problem with Brown and I think his distribution yesterday was excellent, but he’s definitely mid table League Two standard, no higher and I would we would release him at the end of the season no doubt. RELEASE

Sido Jombati (contracted until 2018)
    I’m not sure he’s getting kept on as Ainsworth doesn’t seem to trust him. I personally think he’s a very good player and his versatility has been extremely useful since he joined. 1 year.

Joe Jacobson (contracted until 2018)
    Absolute wand of a left peg and crucial for set pieces. He’s pure luxury at League Two level every week. I still feel he can be got at defensively and although he wouldn’t be the most critical change needed if promoted, Ainsworth may be on the lookout. Saying that I doubt we’d get much better. 2 year.

Marcus Bean (contracted until 2018)
    I say the same every year, although he has had a better season this year. Not a footballer IMHO and could be upgraded without too much hassle. RELEASE

Matt Bloomfield (contracted until 2018)
    Great to see him featuring more regularly this season, perhaps for nostalgic reasons rather than for the displays themselves. Someone has to be fifth/sixth choice though for central midfielder positions and you don’t want this person to be a energy sapper. 1 year.

Sam Saunders (contracted until 2018)
    When he turns it on he’s pure electric and still shows flashes of the 2015 season whilst on loan. Not sure he’d be productive enough at League One level. 50/50

Adebayo Akinfenwa (contracted until 2018)
    What a player and what a guy. Sooo good to watch and a unique threat to any defence at any level. Another year for the big man please.

Nathan Tyson (contracted until 2018)
    It’s incredible the pace, quality and perseverance he still possesses well into his thirties. Great to see him stay injury free too. 1 year.

Craig Mackail-Smith (contracted until 2018)
    As Ainsworth discussed in his post match interview, he really does have the knack of being in the correct position to score goals. Another older player with a fantastic attitude. 1 year.

Contracted until summer 2019
    Michael Harriman (contracted until 2019)
    Pleased to see him back and after his time out it’s easy to see his qualities. Extend 1 year.

Adam El-Abd (contracted until 2019)
    What a couple of performances he has put in, and certainly put the doubters to bed. Not sure he quite has the speed to perform at League One level and you’d have to consider whether he would be used much at that level. Saying that it would leave us with only AS as the permanent centre half in the summer. 50/50.

Luke O'Nien (contracted until 2019)
    What a fantastic signing he has been, his improvement is vast and his abilities to hold possession under difficult circumstances is impressive. I’d be far happier if we extended his deal until 2021.

Dominic Gape (contracted until 2019)
    Basically see above.

Paris Cowan-Hall (contracted until 2019)
    One of my favourite ever Wycombe players, although the list is long. Hopefully it’s just pure rumours about yesterday’s fall out. Love his desire and his previous goals really contributed to our great spell of form. I’d definitely keep him.

Scott Kashket (contracted until 2019)
    Love the goal and celebration yesterday. The guys pure class. Hopefully his injuries are behind him and he can really kick on. I wouldn’t look to extend given these issues yet.

Contracted until summer 2020
    Anthony Stewart (contracted until 2020)
    Come back soon, I miss you.

Nick Freeman (contracted until 2020)
    Great improvement since he signed. I’ve got a feeling he could have a massive contribution left to make this season. Promotion wouldn’t be a step to far.

Do you really think GA picks Blooms for nostalgic reasons? We miss his energy and high pressing and his runs into the channels when he's not there. Not the finest passer by a long way but always over Bean, who seems to have regressed in the second half of the season - well, since his goals anyway.

• I think Jombati may be the man that takes us up this season. Three in four clean streets since his return, and his presence has seen a commensurate improvement in el Abd now he is no longer also on babysitting duties. I think Jombati was also the man who kept us down in 14-15. If he hadn't got injured when he did that incredibly settled defence would surely not have lost form and the points that pushed us into the play offs. Anyway, in my opinion he absolutely deserves a new contract.

I'd also give Saunders at least another year. He was in great form before his injury, he was running the midfield at Cambridge and a few other matches around then. We'll need his wiliness if we go up - and his free kicks. I'm sure he's expensive but far too classy to let go. He's built for League One football and we'll get the best out of him if we're promoted.

Two year deals for Tyson and CMS, one year for Jacobson (to make sure he's got the pace for League One), Bayo and Bloomfield. Bean as well if he wants it, why not? He's played higher and doesn't seem to mind being rotated.

If it's possible to get O'Nien and Gape on longer contracts we absolutely must. Then we need to concentrate on finding a new goalkeeper, another athletic central defender and maybe a Bayo-type forward. We can't expect miracles this summer if we get promoted. Far better to sign the decent players up for at least another year, hope the squad unity remains and most are able to make the step up, and invest all the resources we have on the few obvious weak spots in the team.

• we missed Matty B on Monday that's without question.

• That leaves us needing 8 new players if promoted based on my estimations, which isn't too bad considering.
    0 G-2 required Presuming we get rid of Yves Ma-Kalambay too.
    1 LB- 1 required
    2RB-0 required although I do hope we keep Sido as he could cover CB, also they would reduce signings down to 6.
    2CB-2 required
    4 CM-2 required
    5 Wingers/fast forwards (6 with Williams extension)-0 required
    1 Striker-1` required

• If YMK is primarily employed as a (fitness?) coach and simply registered as a player, as is rumoured, then it makes sense to keep him registered as a cheap option to have on the bench. He's only 30-odd and apparently he didn't look out of place when he played for us in the McPot Noodle Memorial Urn.

• I'm intrigued. If Tafari Moore becomes available in the summer, what would people on here prefer?

A) Keep Jombati and don't sign Moore.
    B) Sign Moore and release Jombati.
    C) Sign Moore and keep Jombati as well.

Ideally I'd like option C. There wouldn't be much point having three RB's on our books, but Sido's versatility and Harriman's ability to play in midfield counter that.

I'd feel a bit sorry for Sido though, as essentially he would be resigning himself to being third/fourth choice CB, where apparently he doesn't even like playing anyway.

• Tafari is available as Arsenal have already told him he is being released.

• I'd far rather have Sido than Moore right now. Not even close. Ask me again in a couple of years when Tafari's learned his craft a bit.

• I'm with @HCblue. Harriman for me is the best RB in the league (although admittedly he (hopefully) won't be next season (if we're in League One)). Sido is more than capable cover and then does the job he does at CB too.
    At times Moore has struggled for me in this league, very rarely actually being in position. Which would be even more costly in League One if we're there.

• what a shame that he's already reached an age where it's impossible for him to improve at all

• Defence - Moore is an interesting one. Decent player with potential but won’t establish himself as a football league right back unless he can defend more consistently. I could see him playing further forward though, especially in games where we need extra cover for the full back. Harriman starting right back all for me every time.

Elsewhere I’d lose McGinley, Müller and WDH. Scarr a maybe but only as a third or fourth choice. Would like to see 2 good central defenders join. Stewart is injured too often and Sido, while excellent of late, can be up and down. Not sure on JJ. I think he is now too easily beaten and doesn’t stop enough balls into the box. Set piece deliveries very valuable though.

Midfield- Saunders injured too often - release. Definitely keep Blooms, who I think is still very capable and arguably actually getting better with age. Bean will probably go but I’d be tempted to keep him as cover. Extensions for O9 and Gape please, both contenders for player of the season. We are a bit short in the middle then, in more than one sense. I’d like to see a more physical presence, especially if we go up and have to do a lot of defending. And ideally someone that can drop in to collect the ball and find a pass forward. We lack that sometimes and it contributes to the ‘no plan B’ thing.

Forwards - easy. Keep everyone. One year extension for the oldies. Sign an alternative to Bayo to give him the odd rest and allow us to play a more isolated one up front in certain games in league 1 (if promoted).

• See my last sentence, @eric_plant.

• yeah, we're not really in the position of being able to simply shop for the finished article

Moore has shown bags of potential in his short time at Wycombe. He's precisely the sort of player we should be taking in so that he can learn his craft with us

Pretty dreary to look at a kid like that who made his football league debut this year and dismiss him out of hand

Really poor, in fact

• I would sign him for sure, if he was fit now Harriman would not be playing and we would need a bigger squad next year.

• @eric_plant @HCblue absolutely agree, nowhere near the finished article but if anyone can help him develop, surely its Gareth Ainsworth. I'm sure McCarthy, Mawson, Scowen and others have said the same thing about GA's effect on their development - also, this from Eze's http://www.bucksfreepress.co.uk/sport/football/16134385.Wycombe_loan_star_Eze_hails_Ainsworth_s_impact_on_career/

• I think Moore's got bags of potential and exactly the right attitude. Unfortunately, I also think that Harriman (along with O'Nien) is likely a target for other clubs. So I'd definitely be making an offer to Moore.

• Harriman playing behind moore in midfield would be tasty. League one might suit moore so I would put in for him. I would imagine Gareth will want versatile players so I reckon sido will stay all the others are hard to call for me. No doubt whatever he does the summer will be red hot and angry on the gasroom as a lot of posters no longer quitened by wins can vent their fury about signings, lack of signings, etc etc

• Moore's first game was an exceptional performance, always hard to live up to.
    He's not even necessarily going to be available anyway, but even if he is we have Harriman, and have more priorities elsewhere.

Interesting there's a little bit of the Sandell creeping in about JJ then. His delivery and set pieces were quality, and he was a decent league 2 full back, but was completely exposed in league 1.
    Hopefully not a similar occurrence.

• blimey - comparing JJ to Sandell is a bit like comparing Andy Rammell to Mickey Nuttell

• I can't see JJ declaring he's a striker in the off season though.

Decent left backs are so hard to find so I'd definitely keep him.

Moore I'd try and sign, at worst he'd be a good developing backup to Harriman/ right wing option.

Scarr I'd try and sign but as a squad player if his wages are in that bracket, ditto Sido and Blooms.

Bayo and Tyson definitely keep, CMS if he wants to carry on too, and Saunders fitness depending, maybe a pay as you play type deal.

PCH as a player I'd try and keep, but it looks like he's fallen out of favour, and if he doesn't want to be here then so be it.

Gape, O'Nien, Harriman and Stewart I'd desperately try to convince to extend their deals. Kashket too if he plays regularly and stays fit first 3 months next season.

El-Abd... I'm not sure, he's been good recently, but I suspect he's on a decent whack and I can't tell if he's an average league 2 defender just in really good form now, or is actually a good player who was just in a rut for the first half of the season. We're short on numbers at CB so I suspect keep but give the captaincy to Luke to try keep him here.

Bean & Brown thanks but goodbye.

• JJ has been great for us and his delivery second to none but and it is a big BUT in div1 his lack of pace will find him out at that level, Shrewsbury thought that a few seasons back and let him go, a tough one but prob have to do the same. Shrews let El Abd go for the same reason I presume. The step up is massive as most promoted clubs discover.

• El-Abd is 33 and I understand contracted until 2019. no decision to be made - he'll be here next season whatever league we are in.

Young Richie advocates a larger squad next season. Hard to see how that would be paid for.

Re Moore, I agree with Eric taking young big club rejects and polishing them up into decent professionals is exactly what we are about. it is unfortunately the case though that his position happens to be one that we are strong in (especially if the versatility of Jombati is retained). May (if the manager rates him) come down to Moore's options elsewhere, his wage demands, his willingness to be a bit player for a year or two more versus a strong record of developing young talent from the existing management and I suppose his opinion on whether the existing management will still be here.

I don't see anything like enough games to judge but I am surprised to see Jacobsen questioned.

Do find the suggestion above to give a 2 year contract in May to the 36 year old Tyson rather extraordinary....