Skip to content

Match day thread: Port Vale

Comments

• Fantastic to see Harriman involved again

Shame about O'Nien

• Not surprised Luke is missing after the kicking he took on Wednesday.

• Not surprised that Curtis Thompson is playing today.
    This gives Luke more time to recover from his injury and to be available for the key game against Notts County on Friday, as there will have been a clause in Curtis's loan to us that he cannot play against his home club in this game.

• So do Creepy Crawley still think 09 faked it?

• Early signs that the lino on the main stand side doesn’t know where he is.

• Like to see Kewell’s comments after the game as Crawley are 3.0 down at half time. Surely not the Barcelona of league 2.

• It's 4-0 now.

• Dire game. All Vale want to do is disrupt the flow of the game.

• Fair play to Vale. Did a very good job on us. An awful spectacle though.

• Not even too annoyed at that. If a team sets up defensively, it is up to us to break them down. I am not going to whine about Port Vale coming to stop us, and us trying to "play the right way". My only gripe about our play is it seemed a bit too hit and hope, trying to win Header Wars.

Also, Tafari still makes me nervous with his decision making.

Anyway, We Go Again (TM)

• Truly appalling game. Much as I would like to blame the ref he was a contributor rather than the cause.
    Bayo’s positivity normally is the fuel for our team, his understandable frustration today also seemed to impact the team. We had the quality just the decision making was way off

• Missed O’Nien. His tenacity and pinpoint delivery makes it so much easier for players to attack at pace.

• I’d hoped for something different after half time but it looked like the same, just a bit more energetic. To be fair to Port Vale they pressed us constantly and often made us go backwards. Even so there won’t be many games when CMS misses two chances like he did today. The saves were good but both chances looked eminently scorable.

• Ref blew the whistle every 30 seconds which really contributed to it being a dire game. Thought we lacked intensity massively in the 1st half didn’t press at all and we let them have the ball around our box too easily luckily they were too poor to make it count. Missed onien massively hope he’s back next weekend fair play to GA he made the changes early although I would have liked to have seen Paris. The table reads well and I def would have taken where we are now at the start of the season. Hopefully Barnet and chesterfield can do us a favour but whatever happens we go into the Notts game ahead off them

• Vale did a great anti football job on us. Number 33 7 fouls in second half.
    Poor poor ref.
    On we go

• Come on Barnet!!!!

• Dreadful game, and that's 2 points from the last 4 home games, which would be a poor return for a lower league team, let alone a top 3 hopeful.

The ref was one of those who doesn't like Bayo's style, and apart from a few decisions in the first mins of the second half in his favour he got next to nothing.

Not many chances, CMS had a couple of half chances that came quickly, but all in all pretty forgettable fare.

We're in real danger of falling into the playoffs with this home form, and the pure lotto that brings.

• H/T Luton 0 Barnet 0, it's a poor game so far.

• Just put Three Counties on. Hylon scores. Turned off.

• Did like the clubs tweet about bayo’s shirt

• Horrible to watch. Port Vale were all the things that other teams accuse us of when we win.

No complaints about that though, they kept within the rules and it was up to us to take the initiative

• The ref had a word with Bayo early on for being fouled. The writing was on the wall. Felt for him today

• I hate whining about the ref but the way he treated Akinfenwa today was ludicrous

• Yep. The inconsistency on shirt pulling was appalling. Turned a blind eye when it suited him

• Injury time was almost all down to his lengthy conversations about the weather, too.

• I'm not sure if it'd help Bayo to either tuck his shirt in, or have some gawdy fluorescent base layer underneath. Then at least it flashes to the ref everytime he's having his shirt pulled.

• @Malone said:
    Dreadful game, and that's 2 points from the last 4 home games, which would be a poor return for a lower league team, let alone a top 3 hopeful.

The ref was one of those who doesn't like Bayo's style, and apart from a few decisions in the first mins of the second half in his favour he got next to nothing.

Not many chances, CMS had a couple of half chances that came quickly, but all in all pretty forgettable fare.

We're in real danger of falling into the playoffs with this home form, and the pure lotto that brings.

But our away form is outstanding so it kind of balanced out.

• @Malone said:
    I'm not sure if it'd help Bayo to either tuck his shirt in, or have some gawdy fluorescent base layer underneath. Then at least it flashes to the ref everytime he's having his shirt pulled.

I’ve suggested the fluorescent layer before but apparently any base undershirt has to be similar colour to the kit

• Agree with the above regarding ref, Bayo etc.

Also ponderous midfield without both Blooms and 09. And apart from one touch, Freeman reminded me why he should be behind CMS and the strangely recently underused PCH for a starting place.

On we go!