Skip to content

Aspin on Akinfenwa

edited March 2018 in Football

A snippet from the Vale manager.... So we know his game plan then, should be good for Tyson etc to exploit the space as they push out to Keep the Beast away from the box...good luck with that too eh! The Beast goes, where the Beast wants to.... here is the snippet :

Akinfenwa has notched up an impressive 18 goals so far this season and 12 assists, but the gaffer believes his defenders are well informed on how to deal with the strikers potential threats.

"I've played as a centre half myself, you've obviously got problems the nearer to goal he takes you so we've got to try and keep him out the box as much as possible and obviously limit the service into him.

"He's having a good season, he is a handful and he does score goals. He will have to be somebody who we have to keep quiet if we're going to win the game."

Comments

• 'we knew what we were going to get with Wycombe...the first six goals were disappointing from our point of view...'

• I'm surprised no other manager has come up with that tactic.

Most managers seem to plan to let him come as close to goal as he likes, and allow all manner of crosses.

• 'We're planning to get into the final third and beat their goalkeeper more times than the home side do ours. If the players can get that right we can get something out of the game.'

• As an aside has anyone noticed a very impressive shots on target to shots ratio in the last couple of games? Statistical blip or are we doing something different? (Apart from the obvious)

• @bookertease no what are the stats?

• 7/12 at Crawley, 7/8 at Barnet according to BBC

• I’ll revist this thread at 5pm tomorrow. Might be a fun one

• Well, it seems to have worked with help from the ref

• Top top manager!

• Yep. Never really looked like he was going to get much today. O’Nien a huge miss- a few pinpoint balls to feet for Freeman and Tyson and that would have been over by half time. “We go again”