Skip to content

The Opposition View - Crawley Town

Comments

• Kewell’s comments were as bad as some of their deluded fans.

• The sky commentator didn’t say anything negative about wycombe as well as talk sport so yes sour grapes . Kewell will find out that passing football doesn’t necessary get you out of the league . Comes over as a bid of a tw@t.

• Having watched the highlights, I don’t see any of the shirt pulling that Kewell refers to. Sure the no. 7 falls down in the build up for the third goal but I don’t see a foul, I just see weak defending - for all the goals.

Also slightly bemused as to the Crawley reaction to the tackle on LON; the no. 6 had clearly lost it but the no. 2 appear to have a sly and subtle dig at Luke whilst he’s on the floor. Had anything happened previously to ‘provoke’ this?

• It's like an "Opposition View Greatest Hits". Kewell lacking any sportsmanship or class whatsoever.

Tiny tiny concern is that our last 6 goals have all come from set pieces. The counter-argument is we're playing to our strengths and doing what needs doing at this stage of the season and we did that superbly last night.

• Oh dear Harry Kewell. The right way is the one that gets you promotion.

• "you're just a shit Barcelona"

Typical blinkered comments from fans of a team who could easily have finished the game with nine men. Their disciplinary record over the season speaks volumes.

• As soon as we start looking favourites for promotion and winning games again, we’re a disgrace to the game.

On our small winless run preceding the last three games, we were one of the best teams in the division and hardest to beat.

Funny that.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • At least he said Jacobsem has excellent delivery. That was the main positive!

You can tell Kewell is a rookie manager though. The smarter managers leave it at "they had a gameplan", or "they put you under pressure", or more subtle references. He just sounds like a whingey bitter clown, who recognises that's his team done for the season

Three goals is pretty decent away from home for a "Hit and hope" approach

• You know what you're going to get with Wycombe and we completely failed to deal with it. Their three goals were crap. We were much better. The referee got off the Wycombe coach. My team played the game the right way. They are third only by a fluke of winning more games than other people. It's a disgrace.

• That made me laugh Wendoverman, brilliant!

• I would be embarrassed if a Wycombe manager came out with the nonsense Kewell appears to have said last night.

• Interesting to note the views of the 3CR commentary team - neither of whom normally cover us, so could reasonably be considered neutral. Their collective view was that we were the better side throughout, that Connolly deserved his 2nd yellow by leaving one on Luke (of the crowd baying for O'Nien's blood at the end, the commentator said: "how can he be called a 'cheat' when he's substituted for an injury picked up from a foul tackle against him?") and that Payne should've walked for an 'off the ground' challenge at the end of the first half.

It would seem therefore that Kewell has chosen to ignore quite a lot in his summary. If I were him I'd be reflecting on why I'm trying to pretend that there isn't a 5 goal gap between the two teams over 180 minutes of football.

And to think I was worried about this fixture. Pah!

• I think we've got some good footballers in this team and like all League Two teams, the opposition try to stop them, in the same way we try to stop theirs. We play great stuff in fits and starts, but some people forget there are two teams on the pitch targeting the likes of LON and Tyson, which means we don;t always get the space to play the way we know we can and so having Bayo at the front there is brilliant. We have scored a lot of goals this season...I don't know the stats...but a lot of them have been from open play rather than just a hoofing team winning from set pieces. We've been as good to watch this year as any other team...(which has not always been the case under GA) and this sad fall-back of an awful team no-one would want to watch every week is starting to get very stale for me at least,

• @LeedsBlue said:
    Interesting to note the views of the 3CR commentary team - neither of whom normally cover us, so could reasonably be considered neutral. Their collective view was that we were the better side throughout, that Connolly deserved his 2nd yellow by leaving one on Luke (of the crowd baying for O'Nien's blood at the end, the commentator said: "how can he be called a 'cheat' when he's substituted for an injury picked up from a foul tackle against him?") and that Payne should've walked for an 'off the ground' challenge at the end of the first half.

It would seem therefore that Kewell has chosen to ignore quite a lot in his summary. If I were him I'd be reflecting on why I'm trying to pretend that there isn't a 5 goal gap between the two teams over 180 minutes of football.

And to think I was worried about this fixture. Pah!

I
    I ’ve also read the report in Crawley’s local paper (local press normally biased in favour of the home team) and it largely agrees with 3CR’s observations. A lot more realistic than Kewell and the usual oafs on social media.

• Agree with the last comment. 'Ref was bad for both sides.' Seemed to give a free kick for anything. The players quickly cottoned onto this and went down at any opportunity. We were well better than them and could have won by more in my opinion.

• edited March 2018

I agree that we've been very pleasant on the eye quite often this season and more than in the past couple of years. Last night was not an especially pretty performance, full of wholehearted defensive endeavour as well as percentage hoofball. I go with @wendoverman in accepting why that was a reasonable approach last night and can live with it. But if last night, or a few other games like, perhaps, the Cambridge one a couple of weeks ago, was the only time I got to see Wycombe this season, I imagine I might not see us as an attractive or appealing team to follow.

• I thought the same on the ref @LX1. He was giving Crawley some very soft free-kicks, but then I remembered some of the ones we'd been awarded.
    I don't mind a poor ref (who's decisions you may disagree with) as long as he's consistent. I'd say last nights referee was.

Payne should've been sent off, but Moore was also lucky to stay on the pitch I'd say so was consistent again.

• The trouble with a consistently poor ref is that it results in players taking ad vantage and being naughty resulting in red cards. But I think I know what you mean

• was it Graham Horwood ?

• referees aside what did you think of the result last night @rmjlondon ? Tactics? Predictions for Saturday?

• @rmjlondon said:
    was it Graham Horwood ?

Sure was.

• @Wendoverman said:
    referees aside what did you think of the result last night rmjlondon ? Tactics? Predictions for Saturday?

Injury updates, referee, any other business.

• @Wendoverman said:
    referees aside what did you think of the result last night rmjlondon ? Tactics? Predictions for Saturday?

How many will your team score against Barnet on saturday Richie?

• Lol

• Managers like Kewell are total mugs to themselves and their teams. Do they not think we can simply look at the highlights and see that the foul on 09 was a straight red let alone a yellow. Also why do their players not protest our dubious goals - cos they ain’t.
    He’s just trying to deflect blame from himself. He simply got outdone by a manager who is still learning himself, just a little bit further down the line.

• They call us cheats just seen the extended highlights their forward tried to punch the ball into the net. Cheating b......d. they look like a thuggish Sunday league team. At least we don’t have a convicted criminal playing for us

• edited March 2018

@braywanderer - Be careful there. We have had Gavin Grant play for us and Tony Adams managing us, both convicted criminals.

• @mooneyman said:
    braywanderer - Be careful there. We have had Gavin Grant play for us and Tony Adams managing us, both convicted criminals.

I mean in the current team

• Didn't look anything untoward in our play in those clips.

The main controversy was their man's dodgy challenge that got him sent off, and some clown standing over O Nien trying to suggest he was faking it.

Good to see our guys got in there and told him what's what.