Skip to content

What could possibly go wrong here?

Comments

• I never really thought he was all that good. Seemed to make quite a few mistakes and was able to use his athleticism to get himself out of trouble - a bit like Kyle Walker. Not in the same class, as a player, as someone like, say, John Terry. But as a prize pillock perhaps much the same...

• You have to separate the man and the player. He was one of our best "stopper" type defenders we've had in 20 years.

Look at who we have now for goodness sake, the likes of Stones and Cahill. We'd kill to have a Campbell type in there.

• He was a great player. But from his interviews since I would not appoint him as an MP, mayor or manager. There must be plenty of players who have managerial experience ahead of him...

• He was a great player. He seems to think that because he was a great player that he must be great at other things too.

Of course, he might be a great manager given a chance. Seems unlikely from his comments though.

• 'Not in the same class, as a player, as someone like, say, John Terry'

Never heard this said by anyone ever before and I'd venture to say I'll never ever hear it again either.

• When will people stop assuming that great player = good manager. Tony Adams was a better player than Campbell and was/is dreadful in charge of a club. Bobby Moore, one of the greatest defenders of all time, wasn't much cop in the dugout either.

• Bobby Charlton struggled a bit too.

• see also Bobby Charlton.

• When you think of all the old players we see in the dug-outs, the thought that you don;t have to start at the bottom with a club that might be struggling is just arrogance. Even people like Monk, Clough and Pearce, were in the team or on the coaching staff before they took over. I think starting in League Two or lower shows character myself. No doubt if he did get a job and then the sack it would be because the club did not know how good he was or understand football.

• It does show character, but is also a huge risk.

To paraphrase Adams when he was talking about our players "I don't know where you go if you fail at Wycombe".
    He's found out - nowhere fast.

• @Malone but getting the tin tack (even from a League Two team!) is all part and parcel isn't it. Not unlike GA's experience of saving the team, then almost getting relegated has shaped his subsequent style/plans/outlook. A new manager is not going to get near a Premier League team and I would think it's better to go somewhere where you have the chance of being the big cheese...then to a 'big' club - QPR/Blackburn/Leeds etc etc where you get half a season and a pay-off.

• You just have to pick exceptionally wisely.
    We've always been seen as a really good option and always get a lot of quality applicants who no doubt have seen the success of a lot of our previous managers, like the location and know we're one of the better set up league 2 teams

That can't be the case for every basement club.

• And if you're a basement club...I would imagine you don;t want to bet the farm on an inexperienced manager - however brilliant at the football - and risk ending up an UNDER basement team.

• Dreary me, too. How anyone can consider Sol Campbell as a great player is beyond belief. Effective yes, maybe even a good one, but "great" certainly not.

• I love that from Grimsby. Now let's see Sol put his money where his mouth is.

• @aloysius said:
    I love that from Grimsby. Now let's see Sol put his money where his mouth is.

Good one, I hadn't considered it that way round!

• Sorry, I know this is a trivial point. But, from the Sol Campbell article, what is a "fox and dog pitch "?

• pub level pitch I presume?

• “If me is not enough......”
    I’d say me is far too much.

• According to the Sun, Oxford are currently in talks with Patrick Kluivert, so Sol Campbell now has competition for the job!

• Are they actually after all these top name ex players, or is it just PR?

• Correct @Malone. It’s just Paolo Rossi.

• Kluivert is leagues apart from Sol Campbell and wouldn't be a bad decision in my opinion.

• In what way?
    Campbell is after all, one of the finest minds in football. What's Kluivert got to offer?

• I think Headington United could be one of the greatest non league clubs of the 21st century

• Looks like former Franchise goblin and James Corden impersonator Karl Robinson is about to be named manager of the PNL. They probably deserve each other.

• Though I should dislike Robinson for the Franchise reason alone, I actually think he's a decent manager, who generally has come across well when I've heard/seen him...

I'd rather PNL had gone down the celebrity manager route which could well have seen them relegated this year.

• I'm just grateful I no longer have to listen to his interminable and irritating 3CR interviews as I wait for Gareth.