Skip to content

Barnet (a) attendance prediction?

2»

Comments

• I really feel for Barnet. Underhill was a great place to visit but the Hive is such an awful thing and so far away that it’s hardly surprising that so many have stopped going.

• Yes I was rather saddened by Barnet' s plight. It's not too bad a stadium (and great to get to from Wycombe), but they seem to have lost their identity moving so far away from Underhill. Didn't really feel like we were playing Barnet today somehow. Despite the official crowd figure, I'm sure there were more Wycombe fans there than 'home' fans.

• @drcongo said:
    I really feel for Barnet. Underhill was a great place to visit but the Hive is such an awful thing and so far away that it’s hardly surprising that so many have stopped going.

It doesn't have the charm of a traditional ground, granted, but I rather like it and its facilities as a visiting fan. I'll be a tiny bit sad to lose it from the away itinerary but for the right reasons of course.

• Underhill felt more like a team's proper home than the Hive, which feels like a sports club that a league 2 team just happen to play at.

I suppose when we're saying it's "so far away", we're meaning by London standards?

As 6 miles isn't actually that far away really is it? It'd be like us moving to Marlow. Would that stop loads of our crowd going?

• I think it's a fantastic facility. A great sports area for all the community. Brilliant bar area and very accessible for a half time relax. TBH was thinking of staying there at half time and watching the TV as the first half was so awful.
    I sincerely hope that they bounce back as it's too good for the Conference.

• The story of PEPF is long and complicated, but that 6 miles feels a very long way to me.

Some reading and links from both Barnet and Wealdstone view on here for those interested:

http://www.onlybarnet.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=3231

• M3GM3G
    edited March 2018

It's just another drab no identity ground. Why the hell would Barnet fans want to watch the club in another part of London. It's just another example of what's happened in London in the last 30 years. I miss Underhill as much as Sandy Lane and Green Pond Road. They had character and soul and were there homes of clubs.

• I miss Underhill too, but unlike some others the loss of the ground hasn’t led them into oblivion but instead to a rather smart set-up with decent facilities.

I disagree that its a no identity ground, it’s a really great sports facility and it was great to see other matches going on behind the far terrace on the artificial pitches.

To me, it’s up there with Wycombe as one of the better replacement stadiums. Shame they still can’t get a crowd though.

• M3GM3G
    edited March 2018

The point is they won't get the gates on a regular basis. Where is the support coming from? Underhill in the middle of suburbia in North Barnet. Walkable by many. Traveling across London by car is a nightmare and why would you want to do it. Public transport at a cost for home games. It's like us moving twenty Miles away. This ground was never for them. It was originally going to be used by Wealdstone. I just hate modern stadiums full stop that's just my preference.

• The trouble is they didn’t really show up much at Underhill either hence the club have taken a punt on trying to be sustainable through a 7 days a week sports facility rather than a rapidly decaying stadium. Albeit a pretty wonderful one.

I guess had Barnet Council been a bit more supportive of the club’s efforts to go to Copthall rather than those of Saracens it might have been able to stay a bit closer to home.

• It's all to late now anyway. Sadly Underhill has been demolished and the clubs identity is now puzzling playing in the borough of Harrow. Who knows what will happen with the inevitable relegation. I just don't see ever why clubs leave where they were born. Especially in a big city like London.

• At least one Barnet councillor was openly crowing in a column on some website about 'getting rid' of Barnet FC from the local area after the closure of Underhill. Not sure what his beef was exactly, but he came across as a right nasty piece of work (in his own column!)

• The thread was derailed a bit about the Barnet situation and I somehow missed who was closest with the attendance and score.

• “I’ve done eight years as a councillor. There have been no complaints from the community.” Cllr Khatri said.

Bullshit. I write them about 3 complaints a week on my own.

• @ValleyWanderer said:
    The thread was derailed a bit about the Barnet situation and I somehow missed who was closest with the attendance and score.

No sign of the emergency services yet.

• Bit much for a dodgy haircut