Skip to content

West Ham United - so nearly us

For West Ham read Wycombe Wanderers
For London Stadium Read High Wycombe Community Stadium
For Gold, Sullivan and Brady read Steve ‘It’s my money’ Hayes

On days like this when a 1-1 draw feels like another loss, the goings on in East London really puts things into perspective.

Comments

• That’s what I mean. The ‘Dildo Brothers’ are trousering the profits just as Hayes would have, and the fans and playing squad suffer.

• Dreadful section in their fanbase, dreadful owners, and Moyes.

It's pure relegation material.

• edited March 2018

And every taxpayer is contributing money to maintain their stadium.

• Saw psycho getting his latte from Costa at wendover garden centre this morning. I wished him good luck. Doomed.

• @Wendoverman My favourite ever non-Wycombe player. He deserves better.

• But on the flip side, West Ham now have:

• a diluted, sterile match day atmosphere
    • terrible crowd segregation and security
    • a landlord dictating when and how they can use the stadium
    • an expensive, unmotivated squad of has beens, signed on the basis that they once played well for Manchester’s United or City, exemplified by a depleted Joe Hart in net.

More mirage than promised land.

Anyhow, isn’t low takings the same basis of a certain Mr Winkleman’s excuse for moving a London club from their spiritual home? How’d that work out?

• @Jonny_King being a nottinghamian who saw him play many times it's depresses me that though he is older than me he still looks as fit as a fiddle. Whereas i cannot say the same.

• I take it the ‘psycho’ you referred to earlier @Wendoverman is Stuart Pearce? He started out at Wealdstone, one of my former clubs (as a supporter).

• What WH need is a good motivational manager like GA then.............:-(

• Wycombe get a mention in Pearce's autobiography. Playing for Wealdstone at Loakes Park, one of our players went in on him at head height, so Pearce stamped on him.

• @Jonny_King, that Wealdstone game was a Trophy 1st Round match in Jan 83 which we won 2-1. Howard Kennedy went for a high bounce, kicked Pearce in the face who then kicked the prone Kennedy. Mass brawl followed, during which Stones' Roy Davies struck Bobby Dell in the face. Davies was sent off, Kennedy was booked, Pearce escaped punishment. Pearce lives in Berkhamsted.

• Like so many things in football and life Gold, Sullivan and Brady promised the fans a lot and delivered nothing. Those convinced that a move to The London Stadium were only done so based on spin from these three. Gold is the least worst out of them Sullivan and Brady are simply dreadful people only interested in nepotism and self interest.
    You may not care for West Ham but the treatment of fans as being secondary to everything else is a danger to us all. These wise boys come and go, players come and go, even stadiums but the fans remain. Loyal, passionate, committed. Football fans deserve to be heard and deserve the support of others when they are not.
    Some of the sniffy tweets this morning from people like Gabby Logan (a respected presenter IMHO) are really disappointing

• Financially the move should have given West Ham a big advantage over other clubs. They sold a dilapidated Upton Park for around £40m and got a practically new, larger stadium at a nominal rent. Furthermore they only pay a small proportion of the maintenance, security and other costs of running the stadium. The rest of the costs are paid by us tax payers.

What went wrong?

• Cheers @Steve_Peart, great stuff.

Pearce opines in his autobiography that the incident cost him an England Semi-Pro call-up, as apparently a scout was at that game. I think that's what he said anyway, read it a long time ago.

• @TheAndyGrahamFanClub I think if West Ham fans are scrapping to the extent that children have to take refuge on the sway team's substitute bench then people are allowed to have an opinion on it

• @eric_plant I am in no way condoning the method of some of the West Ham fans, far from it. No matter the low opinion I have of Brady and Sullivan I still find it extremely worrying that some fans believe close confrontation is a way forward. HOWEVER I do feel they have the absolute right to get their voices heard. And their voices have not been heard.
    @mooneyman try £8.5 million. Whilst Gold and Sullivan try to put themselves forward as saviours and benefactors they have charged the club massive interest fees during their tenure.

• @TheAndyGrahamFanClub said:
    eric_plant I am in no way condoning the method of some of the West Ham fans, far from it. No matter the low opinion I have of Brady and Sullivan I still find it extremely worrying that some fans believe close confrontation is a way forward. HOWEVER I do feel they have the absolute right to get their voices heard. And their voices have not been heard.
    mooneyman try £8.5 million. Whilst Gold and Sullivan try to put themselves forward as saviours and benefactors they have charged the club massive interest fees during their tenure.

Your figures don't tally with the Land Registry.

http://www.claretandhugh.info/boleyn-ground-sale-price-officially-confirmed/

• @mooneyman Sorry I was picking up on the NET income from the sale, rather than the correct gross that you state. When you consider what £8million represents in the crazy world of football was it worth it?
    http://www.kumb.com/story.php?id=132239

• One to file in the "not so heroic" exploits of the beloved Mr Pearce, along with the Paul Ince incident.

Does he mention complaining to the ref about Cousins physical treatment of him in the cup tie v Forest?

• @TheAndyGrahamFanClub said:
    mooneyman Sorry I was picking up on the NET income from the sale, rather than the correct gross that you state. When you consider what £8million represents in the crazy world of football was it worth it?
    http://www.kumb.com/story.php?id=132239

Possibly worthwhile if you get a bigger stadium which you don't have to maintain and only pay £2.5m rent per year.

The morons purporting to support West Ham haven't just suddenly appeared at the new stadium. They would more than likely have been protesting against the Board had they stayed at Upton Park.

• @Steve_Peart he was living in wendover a couple of years ago or thats what he told me on the train once. Perhaps he hadn't settled his divorce then and he's moved a bit upmarket since!

• He always had the knack of getting into trouble but not necessarily getting sanctioned for it. A great skill for a defender!

• It's called direct action. You may not like it but it's makes people take notice. A March down a street would not had even made the news.

• @mooneyman I think that the actions of a few on Saturday have clouded the overall position that has been growing before the move. Sullivan et al made promises to the fans about the move (including one that said seats would be no further away from the pitch than at Upton Park, freezes on season ticket prices for disabled fans etc etc) and these promises have been broken.
    Fans are largely impotent in forcing change so what can they do. They were sold a dream by a group of self-interested people and the dream is far from reality. The ire directed at West Ham because of the deal with the stadium is misplaced as it should be solely at the three. How a (ahem) Lady can get a deal like that from a local government body without more investigation at the time by independent bodies stinks. Stinks for all parties apart from three wealthy individuals.

• Sorry Andy, I'm struggling to understand the issue here.

The issue of whether the deal the club negotiated with the Government re the stadium was too generous is an arguable point, but I struggle to understand why the fans would be complaining about this or why you see the club directors as self-interested in this respect.

Or is the argument that the design of the stadium is not a good viewing experience.

Or is the issue that in the opinion of the supporters, the revenues of the club, including the new stadium revenues have not been spent well.

Could you explain please.

• I was amazed the West Ham fans weren't more vocal about leaving Upton Park. It always felt like a backward step to me. Having been to numerous events at the Olympic Park I have always found the stewarding and general security poor and even at athletics meetings a little unsettling. I've never been to a West Ham game there though.

• Where do West Ham believe they deserve to be? They're not a European club really, so surviving in the premiership is about their level.

• @Username But that's the promise they were sold. Give up the spiritual home of Upton Park and you can challenge the elite. So reluctantly they left. Sold down the river with a pack of lies.

• Did someone tell them they would instantly be in the top four, M3G? is that what they honestly believed? Is that what this is all about?