Skip to content

Crawley Pitch Inspection - GAME OFF

edited March 2018 in Football

will be carried out tommorow.

Comments

• Light snow predicted tomorrow...but Saturday seems to be cloudy with temps of 4 degrees. Be interested to see what the referee (see richie for details) decides.

• edited March 2018

Is the referee another fat one Richie?

• the pitch is currently under 9cm of snow and is frozen solid, what do you think the outcome will be ..... the referee is Graham Horwood but he won't be inspecting it as he is based in Bedfordshire. Tim Robinson will be inspecting the pitch.

• Only you know what the outcome will be, richie. We just wait and see. Are you in Crawley already?

• Richie is a real mixture of very specific knowledge and nonsensical utterances

The Gasroom would be a poorer place without him

• Luton in Bedfordshire innit? I assume he is on your list of good referees.

• I believe Richie is the secret member of The Cure, and it was him and not Robert Smith who penned those wonderful tunes.

• he is an awful official, already demoted once from the list.

• @eric_plant richie? very specific knowledge? Examples Mr P?

• I love the way Richie drops in this easily accessible information as if he's some sort of authoritative "In the know" incredible port of all knowledge.
    Cracks me up.

• @rmjlondon said:
    the pitch is currently under 9cm of snow and is frozen solid, what do you think the outcome will be ..... the referee is Graham Horwood but he won't be inspecting it as he is based in Bedfordshire. Tim Robinson will be inspecting the pitch.

@Wendoverman this

• So what happened to the covers and fleece reinforcement at the southern end which Crawley referred to on their official website, I wonder.

• we only played on tuesday because we have undersoil heating left behind by wasps legacy.

• @micra said:
    So what happened to the covers and fleece reinforcement at the southern end which Crawley referred to on their official website, I wonder.

Blew away in the wind!

• @rmjlondon said:
    we only played on tuesday because we have undersoil heating left behind by wasps legacy.

I thought it went in after our run to the semi finals Dicky?

• Rmjlondon !
    I can confirm that living 4 miles away from the crawley ground that currently everything is green here. The odd patch of left over snow here and there.
    That may obviously change over the next few hours .
    But to say the pitch is under 9cm if snow is just wrong.
    If anyone doesn't believe . Then Google and check the m23s webcams for current conditions .

• @bigred87 said:
    I thought it went in after our run to the semi finals Dicky?

My recollection was that we had a Desso pitch and undersoil installed by Wasps as part of the sharing deal and it was a requirement of the Rugby premiership.

• I'm sure it went in when we got money from the fa cup semi final run? I'm probably completely wrong though

• @Frenchfry said:
    Rmjlondon !
    I can confirm that living 4 miles away from the crawley ground that currently everything is green here. The odd patch of left over snow here and there.
    That may obviously change over the next few hours .
    But to say the pitch is under 9cm if snow is just wrong.
    If anyone doesn't believe . Then Google and check the m23s webcams for current conditions .

Richie is probably talking about the condition of the Cambridge pitch as his boys are scheduled to play there tomorrow.

• @Frenchfry if you think actually living in the area proves our Richie wrong you are very naive. He knows things.

• @bigred87, IIRC Wasps arrived very soon after the Cup run (2002?) so it could be almost one and the same I guess. Main thing is they're gone and we have undersoil as about the only positive aspect of the sharing experience! I wonder if Richie was/is a Pest's fan? ;-)

• The FA Cup semi-final money was spent on a new carpet for the Vere Suite.

• Genuine question - is it a good thing that we have undersoil heating? The positive is that it saves our club money in not having a game like last Tuesday's postponed. The negatives? It costs a lot of money to run, and we end up playing in sub-zero temperatures with an attendance that may have been significantly higher on a more 'normal' night.

• I guess part of the equation is wages for non-playing staff that would still need paying, food supplies for hospitality etc that might not save, plus fixture congestion later in the season (although the way things are at the moment, a bit more time to get some players back to match fitness would be an advantage).

• I'm no gardener, but surely there is also the problem that even if we postponed games...the pitch would end up knackered once the snow went without the undersoil heating and we would be moaning about that as well?

• @Wendoverman said:
    I'm no gardener, but surely there is also the problem that even if we postponed games...the pitch would end up knackered once the snow went without the undersoil heating and we would be moaning about that as well?

And we would be playing on pitches that were on the borderline of being frozen, making it more likely to get injuries. Additionally, a match might be abandoned half way through as the pitch deteriorated as it got colder.

• Inspection now arranged for 2:30 today.

• Surely it can't be on.

Surely!

• Why wouldn't it be on? Sounds like Crawley is no worse than Wycombe and the roads are fine here.

If the pitch has been covered and it's warming up slightly tomorrow then I'm pretty hopeful

• The forecast is pretty good for tomorrow and it starts to 'warm' tonight to enable the snow to melt.
    Game on me thinks