Skip to content

Match day thread: Morecambe

Comments

• I knew as soon as my hot chocolate was not properly dissolved, there was a crisp packet on the steps and then my seat had not been waxed that we were in for trouble. When will the club realise these little things matter?

• Nothing to do with the pitch @micra . It is still pretty good although the use of the under soil heating will make the top surface lift a bit.

You wouldn't think a crowd would need music to make an atmosphere @glasshalffull . Why was it so poor yesterday from the start then? We're most settling in for an easy win?

In general though the ground is in poor repair isn't it? The ticket checking at the turnstile has gone from electronic to a cursory glance. The toilets are dirty with three year old adverts and Wasp website details. The seats are broken and the roof leaks.
    Having said all that though it's not meant as a critisism in the way some have jumped on. I just think a lack of pre game music created a quiet atmosphere that in my opinion led to the slow start. I understand the costs involved in keeping the ground up to date. They just need to think about what might help the team.

• I think you’ve hit the nail on the head in your second paragraph. I fear a lot of regulars turned up thinking it would be an easy win and that, coupled with conceding so early on, led to a very flat atmosphere.
    Things picked up after we’d scored in the second half but
    I find the majority of our fans need a lot to get them going at the best of times.
    Don’t forget that ground maintenance is carried out mainly by volunteers and in the circumstances I think they do a pretty good job. The stadium is getting on now but it’s still in better order than many of the places we visit.

• Curse of the promotional tickets three sofa soft goals and a great strike from Ellison. Players who have performed well above expectations in preceding games didn’t show up and yes Morecambe had an inside track on our play with Thompson and Müller.
    Anyone else see the incident on the way out of the ground where a guy tried to nudge walkers out of the way with his car only to get some free panel work from a couple of parents with kids.

• Some slipshod defending for sure, but an excellent couple of goals from Ellison however much we dislike him.

@BuckinghamBlue, tried to nudge walkers? Doesn't sound a clever idea in a crowd, as people get super aggressive, especially after a defeat!

• Yep @Malone I’ve seen drivers cars receive a slap on the window and a few choice words when they’ve been over eager to get away but this looked quite expensive as you say people tend to be a bit salty after a defeat.

• Shit happens sometimes.

I brought 4 people along with me; for a fiver I don't mind but I'd have been pissed off if I had to pay twenty quid each for them :-) Fortunately they come quite regularly and have seen much better football here so it won't put them off.

• Others have said it, but to be where we are with a stretched and makeshift defense, is testament to how out and out brilliant we have been in attack all year. Whether we go up or not, this season will be memorable for probably the only time a four goal deficit seems surmountable (for either team!)

• @Shev said:
    Others have said it, but to be where we are with a stretched and makeshift defense, is testament to how out and out brilliant we have been in attack all year. Whether we go up or not, this season will be memorable for probably the only time a four goal deficit seems surmountable (for either team!)

Good post @Shev, I think you've hit the nail on the head there. Not that being in our position is a nail you understand!

• As someone said earlier, the stats are interesting; our defence was shocking but they still only had 6 shots on goal, the problem is that they scored four of them. We had 8 on goal, plus Tyson's and Bayo's attempts that went inches wide.

It could have been very different if Luke hadn't headed his chance early in the first half straight at their keeper.

Or if the ref hadn't travelled down from Morecambe on the team bus.

• Are we talking about the treatment Bayo is suffering with a total Wycombe bias or does he really seem to be refereed totally differently to other players. He takes the shirt tugging in good humour but no other striker in the league gets this treatment in my view.

Maybe if he fell over occasionally he'd get more but surely having more players staying on their feet and not cheating is supposed to help refs.

On the whole our defence did ok on Saturday after the howler in the first couple of minutes. It was our team set up against theirs that caused us the problems. They basically out manoeuvred us.

• Defense is shocking!

• Defending was abysmal

• @eric_plant said:
    If Brown didn't come off his line to collect that slow loopy throw in that led to their first, then he will never come off his line

Agreed, yes it was McGinleys back header that gave them the goal but the defence have no confidence from crosses with Brown , ok he is a little short and clearly a shot stopper not a jumper but at his age you would think he has learnt how to dominate the 6 yard box!
    I’d give Yves a game tomorrow, saw him against West Ham under 10’s and he look sharp.

• @eric_plant said:
    I've never seen him play

See above Yves made a couple of excellent saves against West Ham, caught everything, ok it was against kids, And he bossed our defence v vocal encouraging , telling them what to do, dominant. Brown is v quiet . Yes give bid Yves a pop, bet he won’t let in 4!

• @Vital said:
    Defending was abysmal

Sorry Vital. My reference was a sly and ungracious dig at @Shev’s American spelling.

• That's okay Micra, mine was a response to @Right_in_the_Middle 's astonishing assertion that "On the whole our defence did ok on Saturday after the howler in the first couple of minutes."

• @perfidious_albion said:
    See above Yves made a couple of excellent saves against West Ham, caught everything, ok it was against kids, And he bossed our defence v vocal encouraging , telling them what to do, dominant. Brown is v quiet . Yes give bid Yves a pop, bet he won’t let in 4!

Might have been West Ham kids, but I bet their wages make our players look like paupers.

• An excellent save is an excellent save whatever the age of the opposition. I have seen how acrobatic Yves is and at 6’6” he’s probably going to catch high balls more often than Scott Brown.

• @Right_in_the_Middle said:
    Are we talking about the treatment Bayo is suffering with a total Wycombe bias or does he really seem to be refereed totally differently to other players. He takes the shirt tugging in good humour but no other striker in the league gets this treatment in my view.

I've often thought that having a shirt in two halves held together with Velcro would be a quite effective deterrent to shirt-pulling. In Bayo's case it may even be cheaper to manufacture as I should imagine his chest size is beyond XXXL

• Add an X to that at least @bookertease !

• @Vital As we disagree about your use of a certain report writer it's not really a surprise we'll disagree about other things. The second goal was a keeping error, the third a cracking cross and header and the fourth the result of a formation change and a good counter attack.
    Sometimes it's ok to give the other side some credit. It doesn't all have to be down to our failings.
    For all the criticism of our two full backs after Saturday they were a major reason why we could quite easily have still won the game.

• edited February 2018

@micra , if you "rest" Brown I think you have to accept you've written him off. He was clearly suffering from low confidence in the beginning of the season and recovered well but dropping him now would (IMHO) be a dangerous move. And you have to be very confident that Yves can do the business for the rest of the season, based on a very limited view, if you do that. I'm not sure I'm as confident as you.

• I believe that during his spell at Hibs, Yves also picked up the nickname Yves Ma-Kalamity.
    Bringing him in, and therefore affecting Browns future performances, would be a massive risk in my opinion.

• I think Brown has done enough over the course of the season to earn a bit of trust, patience and support after what seems to have been a bad day at the office for pretty much everyone.

• I can't see any benefit in ditching Brown at this stage. He needs to be supported and to be honest probably could do with some help from a goalie coach.

• I don't think it was even particularly a bad day at the office, he just never comes off his line ever

He just did on Saturday what he's always done. Not much point having a go at him for it really. Ainsworth knows his strengths and weaknesses and decided to go with him for the season

Let's hope it pays off

• @micra said:
    Sorry Vital. My reference was a sly and ungracious dig at Shev’s American spelling.

Nice one @micra - I have been over here too long, evidently!

• We have no alternative but to stick with Brown for the rest of this season and then get a decent keeper in next season.

• @bookertease I am with you on the Velcro shirt idea. I made much the same suggestion to my son on the way home after Saturday's match: get Bayo to wear shirts deliberately made from weak fabric so that bits will tear off if pulled. It will be immediately apparent to the referee that his shirt has been pulled, hopefully resulting in more free or penalty kicks being awarded for infringements by opponents against him.

If the referee still doesn't penalise the opposition, at least Bayo would then be free to play the ball without having an opponent or two pulling at this clothing and trying to put him off balance or hold him back. The opponents would also be thrown off balance as the material in their hand breaks away.