Skip to content

Notts County really on skid row now

Loss last night, form going backward and now like a drowning man grabbing onto a twig to save himself they are talking about signing Nile Ranger...
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/43113077

What also stood out from this article was the phrase '...Nile and his representatives'. Plural? Wow. He's a fourth division footballer with representatives. I also worry when I see this as I have a vision of sycophants telling the player how brilliant he is and how he is always right.

Comments

• '...Nile and his representatives'......Lawyers usually in his case

• He must be one heck of a talent for managers still to be trying to sign him with such a ridiculous crime sheet.

• My sarfend supporting mate was not impressed with him. They expected him to repay the club for standing by him. Needless to say they felt he did not.

• I'm surprised Nolan is even thinking about it.

• With Shola Ameobi, Jon Stead and others, do they really need an extra?

Seems the FA cup run has rucked them up a bit though, just like us last year?

• Nolan and ranger must no each other from tyne side.......I'd like to strangle ranger what a waste of space

• Notts Co do seem to like a 'named' player don't they. Never really done them any favours over the years but they keep going back for more.

• Gosh. Just read his Wikipedia page. Quite a list of stuff. Pretty sure he would not pass Gareth's test of character desirability for prospective players.

• Listened to Joey Barton's new podcast with Dyche from Burnley the other day. He made a big thing about being one of the first and the few to do physiological testing on new recruits whereas I would have thought it would be a massive mistake not to. Ainsworth seems to see personality and squad fit as important things. Many others managers seem to trust that talent will out.

I think a mentally stable average player will beat a talented nutcase in most cases

• @Right_in_the_Middle said:
    Listened to Joey Barton's new podcast with Dyche from Burnley the other day. He made a big thing about being one of the first and the few to do physiological testing on new recruits whereas I would have thought it would be a massive mistake not to. Ainsworth seems to see personality and squad fit as important things. Many others managers seem to trust that talent will out.

I think a mentally stable average player will beat a talented nutcase in most cases

Diego Maradona?

• Same initials, talented at our level nutcase, worked for a bit, Dean Morgan?

• I actually think the Dean Morgan situation was the catalyst for the profiling of future signings. He was a talented player but can with the ability to be disruptive and influence other players.
    I don't think Ainsworth would sign him if he could have that one back.

• @bigred87 A tad extreme for a player not even at the club?
    As for Mr Morgan, he has hardly set the football world alight since he left. When I walked past him chatting to A Stewart earlier this season, it sounded like he was self-righteously moaning about something 'I told them...you can't talk to me like that...etc etc'. POssibly a a bad apple? I'm not sure what the likes of Ranger and Leon Knight for example think they are going to do once they use up their eighth chance!

• anyone unlucky enough to have stumbled across Leon Knight's twitter account would surely agree that he is the most dislikeable player ever to have worn the blue quarters

• Knight is vile.

• Yes knight is total wanker..very damning of any professional.

• Always nice to agree with Eric about something.

• Waddock signed Morgan originally, not Ainsworth. Although I suppose Ainsworth must have had a hand in the 2 contract extensions he was offered.

• @Croider said:
    Waddock signed Morgan originally, not Ainsworth. Although I suppose Ainsworth must have had a hand in the 2 contract extensions he was offered.

Not sure about Ainsworth offering Morgan an extension. Wasn't he left out of the squad entirely from the Torquay squad? Far too toxic, which explains his mixture of undoubted talent but high turnover of clubs.

• I thought Morgan was offered one year after doing ok in 12/13, but the problems started the following season. IIRC he had disappeared from the team some time before Torquay and left that summer.

• Compare and contrast the undoubted talent but toxic Morgan who moaned at everyone for 90 minutes to Bayo. If anyone is any doubt why we win games late in the day it is down to GA, Bayo, 09 and the infectious positivity these guys have from the moment they get through the gates at AP. For one reason or another I've spoken to quite a few players this season and its not a question of them being on-message or towing the party line they are genuinely positive about everything and that goes down to recruitment and leadership.

• Spot on. Managers like to waffle on about the spirit within the squad etc, but it's so obvious this bunch of players love playing together and Bayo must be a big part of that (literally as well as figuratively). Given how many of us grew up dreaming of being a professional footballer, it saddens me to see some of them waste their talent and careers due to egos or some sense of entitlement. The complete opposite to a player like Bloomfield.

• won't happen and I would think seeing as the chairman has already said there budget is unsustainable its all paper talk or grossly inflated.

• It's like Notts County have learnt nothing from their years of high paid under performing ex top league players.

• It's being reported in the Notts papers that County are trying to sign Joey Barton when his suspension for gambling ends next month.

• FFS! Are they just trying to self-destruct?

• no question he is a quality player capable of playing championship football minimum.

• shame he is a lunatic !

• Sounds like he's suffering from a mild case of schizophrenia.