Skip to content

Match day thread: Cheltenham

Comments

• I want us to win every game, needless to say, but although I have nothing in particular against Cheltenham - nice part of the world - I really want this one after that Eze push in the first game. Come on lads!

• edited February 2018

Yes @Shev . Karmic justice has been served in a tasty fashion on Luton for the way in which the Gods smiled on their final few moments at Adams Park when we had been the better side for 88 mins. Karmic retribution came to Carlisle although actually it should have landed on the referee for his role in the unbalanced outcome of that game. For me too, the push on Eze and what happened afterwards is stored away, and today at Cheltenham would be a good for further karmic realignment especially in front of a watchful and tempestuous sea of Blue.
    And I think there should be more to come for us in the next part of this season.

All said - we make our own luck and we have a fine team, full of fellowship, fabulous football and with no fear. I am very much looking forward to cheering them on today in particular. Up the Blues.

• edited February 2018

Whatever happened to 'Red and White Forever' - where is he when we might like to hear from him?

• Whilst we are riding a fragile wave of expectation my hopes for today are:

• a clean sheet with a relaxing 0-2 win
    • JJ to recover his form, with so many absentees in defence his extra responsibilities seems to be playing on his confidence.
  • Live commentary will be on BBC3CR 630/1161 MW and iFollow.

COYB!

• Posted this elsewhere but putting it here too to reach as many as possible:

So someone crashed into my car this morning and I can't now make it to the game. If anyone is going without a ticket and wants one (or two, actually, since there's one adult and one child) you can pm me here and I'll give you my name and address so you can collect them from the ground there.

But best get in touch in the next twenty minutes or so as I'll be offline after that...

• Thompson on the bench? I had to think hard about that one! Had Gary T re-signed I thought to myself. Then I remembered Curtis Thompson, on loan from Notts County

• @HCblue - sorry to hear that mate. What a crap thing to happen.

• 1-0! Bayo!

• Cheeky fan too.

• 2-0! PCH!

• Earthquake felt in Cheltenham, it was Bayo landing gear from a header!

• Well done ppf.

• Professional job. It felt like we had very few chances, and banged two of them home. We defended well as a team, too.

• And almost as good as our win, Stanley only drew at Barnet.

• To beat a team who’d just beaten a resurgent Port Vale 5-1 is quite an achievement. But we’d rather be on a good surface. Looking forward to laying the Morecambe bogey.

• Thompson looked quality when he came on......

• Shocking News....Bean didn't score..

• A job well done on a scruffy pitch. Battled hard to keep stop Cheltenham gaining any rhythm and carved out the two best chances of the game.

We really are on a superb run of form now!

• @perfidious_albion said:
    Whilst we are riding a fragile wave of expectation my hopes for today are:

• a clean sheet with a relaxing 0-2 win
    • JJ to recover his form, with so many absentees in defence his extra responsibilities seems to be playing on his confidence.

I believe you got your wish Mr Albion - and an excellent score prediction

• Results for once went our way elsewhere.
    Ten points of safety with the play off spots.
    Bayo now equal with Bean for 2018.
    Keep on keeping on.

• @StrongestTeam said:
    .. and this I typed but didn't get round to finishing earlier.

Re point 1 earlier, 3 points , happy days

• @Ceefax_Striker said:
    I believe you got your wish Mr Albion - and an excellent score prediction

Other than the JJ free kick he had a slightly better day as well - happy days!

• Table looks good now.

• Making the same comparison I tend to make, I note that we will now be no lower than fourth if we lose our next game whereas we could have been eighth or ninth in the same eventuality about four weeks ago. Definitely getting there.

• Bit of an uneventful game for most of the first half, and then some good trickery from CMS to feed Bayo, and then a great turn and shot.

Bayo then again massively key to a goal, holding it then playing in Paris, with a good finish.

Second half felt super comfortable, and not sure Cheltenham ever really threatened.
    They had a lot of very tall players, but no quality on the few deliveries they could make.

All in all, very easy trip, easy parking across that field next to the ground, and there's loads of street parking anyway. Failing that the little social club carpark would have been fine.

Just as well we didn't sell out the away end though, as the "sit anywhere" policy would have got very awkward very quickly!

• "Job done", professional performance, on to the next.

What a team we have this season

• Interesting interview with Scott Brown in the Cheltenham local paper. https://www.gloucestershirelive.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/wycombe-wanderers-goalkeeper-scott-brown-1229183.

I followed a link from the Cheltenham forum to an interview with their manager and this one followed it. Most interesting snippet - Brown would have rejoined Cheltenham in the summer if they'd been prepared to pay the massive fee of - wait for it - £5,000.

• No wonder he was happy to stick with us, if they couldn't stump up £5k!