Skip to content

Youtube WWFC video requests

A recent thread ended in offers to record the Wimbledon v WWFC FA Cup 5th round replay, which will hopefully be available to view in the near future.
There must surely be at least a few people out there who have old VHS tapes of official season reviews or appearances on MotD that have been taped but don't have the means or inclination to digitise the tapes and upload them to Youtube. Hopefully people who have matches that have been suggested on here on VHS can be put in touch with those who have the means to copy VHS to digital format so that they can be shared with Wanderers fans.

My wishlist of ones that aren't already available on Youtube is:

96/97 season review
99/00 season review
00/01 season review
MotD of FA Cup ties v Wolves, Wimbledon (H), Leicester, Fulham (H) (01/02)

If anyone has any others that they would like to be shared, feel free to chip in on this thread.

Comments

• I can lay my hands on the following videos, but am without the technology to play them.

The Best Yet Season 1990/91
    Trophy Final 1991
    Local Hero "Mark West"
    Level Best Season 1991/92
    Beam Us Up Scotty Season 1992/93
    Double Glory 1992/93
    Trophy Final 1993
    The Only Way is Up Season 1993/94
    PNE v Wycombe 27/11/1993 (that goal by Hayrettin)
    Play-Off Final v Preston 28/5/94
    High Fives 1994 & 1995
    Great Escape Season 1996/97
    Mission Impossible 1998/99
    Selhurst Park Replay 2001 v Wimbledon
    Semi-Final 2001 v Liverpool
    Six Ties & A Semi-Final 2001

Wycombe's Wembley Year 1991?
    So Very Near 1994?

• @ReadingMarginalista said:
    A recent thread ended in offers to record the Wimbledon v WWFC FA Cup 5th round replay, which will hopefully be available to view in the near future.
    There must surely be at least a few people out there who have old VHS tapes of official season reviews or appearances on MotD that have been taped but don't have the means or inclination to digitise the tapes and upload them to Youtube. Hopefully people who have matches that have been suggested on here on VHS can be put in touch with those who have the means to copy VHS to digital format so that they can be shared with Wanderers fans.

My wishlist of ones that aren't already available on Youtube is:

96/97 season review
    99/00 season review
    00/01 season review
    MotD of FA Cup ties v Wolves, Wimbledon (H), Leicester, Fulham (H) (01/02)

If anyone has any others that they would like to be shared, feel free to chip in on this thread.

Matt Cecil has said he's happy for anyone to post old videos, although there's an outside chance that the FA might object. From a club perspective though, you're good to go.

• My list is similar to @Twizz’s and I can also add these:

The Loakes Park Years 1895-1990
    1989/90 Highlights
    1990/91 Welling, Kettering home, Alty away 2nd Leg Trophy
    1993/94 Up & Away (might be same as Only Way Is Up)
    1995/96 Stand By The Blues
    1997/98 All Smiles At The Finish
    1999/2000 Simply Devine
    2000/01 Case For The Defence
    2001/02 Hopes & Dreams

Some of these are John D Taylor productions, so we would need to check with him, and he has a lot of video knowledge. Trans Video Productions and Profile Video made the early ones, not sure if they still exist but does the the club alone retain copyright? If we get copyright settled, is the ideal to have a single YouTube channel?

@ReadingMarginalista, I have always wanted to convert all mine and I am thinking about buying a VHS to Digital Capture card, about £20 as far as I can see, and get the right cable to connect to a PC. I would happy for any advice anyone can give me about that, but if anyone wants to start transferring, I am happy to lend the tapes.

I haven't looked at DVDs yet, or exactly what is available online from recent years.

• I remember the club lending out the VHS tape of the memorable 4-1 defeat of Bishop Auckland at Loakes Park in the memorable 1981/82 Fa Trophy run.
    I paid a fee to borrow it for a week, i would dearly like to see that game again now.
    I wonder if a copy still exists ?

• edited February 2018

I have most of the season reviews, as requested, here is 'The Great Escape'

• I purchased all the vids available back in the day including Colchester and Chelmsford 85/86 Also Boston at home that season, another 5 or 6 from 87/88. All the highlights vid from last season at Loakes Park.

• 'Case For The Defence'

• That's all folks, was uploading 'Simply Devine' but the oddballs at the EFL lodged a copyright claim.

• @Keith_Allens_Wig said:
    I have most of the season reviews, as requested, here is 'The Great Escape'

Jamie Cureton scoring against us in 1996. Incredible.

• I have loads, going back to the seasonal highlights of the late 80s at Loakes Park, right through to the latter day ones from this millenium. Also most of the Sky live matches, WWFC v Liverpool full match, highlights from other Cup matches, including the FA Trophy, play-offs etc. Have tried to cobble together season highlights compilations from the Football League Show, Channel 5, MOTD etc, but have fallen a bit behind with these. They're all on a big black Toshiba box with a hard disk, ready for dubbing to DVD.
    I've also tried to upload some of these to YouTube, but haven't got very far. Mostly too big, I think, One or two were uploaded, then disappeared (copyright issues?).
    If anyone wants anything done, send me a PM on here, and I'll see whether I've got it and whether I can do it.

• The welcome return of the 'absolute pig' Bristol Rovers commentator in that Case For The Defence video - 1:15:08 for those who don't want to watch it all.

• edited February 2018

A wunderkammer of the club's highs and lows through the late 80s to late 90s (with a few gaps that are being filled by other kind Gasroomers as above) on this Youtube channel for those who haven't discovered them already: https://www.youtube.com/user/mpwnw1

• @CindyIncidentally, good call, impressive set of videos by Mark Woods.

@M3G, also impressive that you have a good set from the mid-80s, I'd forgotten that they were issued that far back, and you too @NewburyWanderer, you were bound to have loads!

I'm interested in the copyright situation and the mechanics of how videos are deleted. @Keith_Allens_Wig, when you were uploading 'Simply Devine' what actually happened, who contacted you and how soon after you started uploading? Do we take it that the EFL claim copyright on any EFL footage, or perhaps only going back a certain number of years?

• I was involved in digitising some of the ones on YouTube a good few years back, and before uploading them I asked Ben Campbell about copyright issues with the club. He said he was very happy for them to be out there, on the understanding that the club could use clips from the digital versions. A good agreement! I hope the EFL, then, are not starting to prowl. This footage is priceless!

• If a copyright holder is making material available for people to watch/read/listen to I support them being able to protect their rights if somebody else, who does not have the right to do so, tries to make that information available; regardless of whether either party is making the material available free, at cost or for profit.

It is my opinion, however, that there should be something in the legislation that would allow material that would otherwise be hidden and, effectively, lost to those wishing to watch/read/listen to it to be shared by non-rights holders much sooner than currently permitted if the the copyright holder is not making the material available themselves. If, for example, a book or DVD has been removed from publication and distribution and the copyright holder has no intention to re-release it, then, following a suitable grace period, others should be able publically to share that book or DVD; e.g. via the internet.

The current 70 years after death of author/director for books/films, 70 years for music/sound and 50 years after broadcast for broadcast material may be appropriate if the copyright holder is still making the thing available, but seems much too long for things that the copyright holder is keeping in a cupboard somewhere and has no particular interest in. Decades old Wycombe Wanderers highlights and the EFL fall into the latter category.

• @CindyIncidentally said:
    A wunderkammer of the club's highs and lows through the late 80s to late 90s (with a few gaps that are being filled by other kind Gasroomers as above) on this Youtube channel for those who haven't discovered them already: https://www.youtube.com/user/mpwnw1

I've been watching some of these in the last couple of days it brought back some great memories so cheers for that.

• Sorry for lighting the touch paper on this one and retiring! Some excellent work highlighting where some of the gaps in the collection of season review videos can be found.
    Hopefully some people can unearth our appearences in extended highlights in programmes like Match of the Day on some forgotten about VHS's. I may have a (rather worn down!) copy of the Leicester quarter final highlights which I can hopefully find at my mum's, though anything else anyone can unearth will be gratefully received.

@Keith_Allens_Wig when did the FL object to you uploading Simply Devine? If it was a while ago, it might be worth trying to put it up again.

@CindyIncidentally That was without doubt the best use of the word 'Wunderkammer' in the history of the Gasroom.

• It was only a few days ago, got a 'copyright strike' before it had even finished uploading. No idea why they picked that one out

• 17 years ago tonight, that match at Selhurst Park. The club have tweeted 8 minutes of highlights at

Seeing the players celebrate and coming straight over to the fans always has me in tears. How quick was Gareth in those days, he looks better with long hair.

• edited February 2018

On the 17th anniversary of the game, here are links to the full coverage of the FA Cup 5th round replay against Wimbledon at Selhurst Park. For those with the time to view them, hopefully it will rekindle some wonderful memories of undoubtedly the most dramatic WWFC game I have ever had the privilege to witness

EDIT - If I'd know the official site were going to publish the extended highlights a few moments before, I'd have put this off for a bit!

1st half

2nd half

ET and Penalties

• The one disappointment of that night (if there could possibly be such a thing!) was that all the camera angles are from our stand, looking out - and consequently there is little or no footage of the massed 'Chair Army' spread along the length of the pitch, celebrating the Selhurst miracle.

At least when Big Roy did his crazy windmill dance at Leicester the cameras homed in on the fans on the side. I always think that part of the fun of looking back on past highlights is to watch us fans having our moment of delirium. At Spurs, for example, Hayesy's volley creates an amazing spectacle of half the crowd behind the goal on one side stunned and motionless, and the other half just going absolutely mental.

• @LeedsBlue I was thinking that too, we had some fantastic support that evening, almost outnumbering the Dons fans. Shame there is little in the way of video or photo evidence of that around.

• There used to be a brilliant photo of the massed ranks of Wycombe fans on the excellent COTN website

I'll see if I can find it

• Thanks Eric. Truly a sight to behold!

• Still rated my number one of watching a live game. Also for my brother-in-law & his son, both of whom are Everton season ticket holders.

• Here's another video of some interest for those who remember him: The Stuart Cash Story. He has his false teeth in, should this alleviate any horrors for Gasroomers of a sensitive disposition:

• @ReadingMarginalista, thank you very much for uploading the Wimbledon match, and presumably to @Grawlix for providing the tape, I’ve just finished watching it. I’ve been wanting to see the whole match again for years as I could hardly remember any detail, I just remember the tension and the overwhelming feeling of ecstasy at the end, something you rarely experience over a lifetime of watching your team.

Anyone watching it now who wasn’t there might wonder why all those there rate it as the greatest. It was a scrappy old game on a scruffy old pitch, the second half in particular was pretty hard to watch. But it was all about the drama and the resilience of the team, whose spirit was so evident, perhaps even better than it is now. When Rhino missed his penalty, everyone put their arm around him, and they barely celebrated amongst themselves at the end before coming straight over to the fans. I also sense that they were closer to the fans than now, close though the current team is.

I’ve always thought that Martin Taylor was the hero on the night but what a game Paul McCarthy had, what a cup run he had, what a player he was for us. Just the character you need when up against it. It was Dannie Bulman’s driving run which led to our first goal, his longevity is extraordinary, 39 years old and still playing in the Football League, 14 years after we released him too early.

“Ben Townsend, who came through the Wycombe youth team…”, will we ever hear words like that again? Ben had a really long throw-in, something we miss now as JJ’s throws don’t really go far enough for Bayo to really panic the defence. Our second goal was down to their keeper’s sliced kick, I don’t think I have seen a keeper kick so poorly throughout a whole game.

The fans were magnificent, singing the whole game which must have kept the team going. They actually finished the stronger side in extra time, extraordinary stamina when a man down for so long. As others have said, shame the fans weren’t on camera but I wonder if it helped the team being down the side, and in more constant contact than being at the end.

• ET and Penalties

Sam Parkin's penalty is well worth a watch at 39:15 - with no exaggeration, one the greatest (riskiest?) ever taken. He'd just played however many minutes of football, but still had the energy, nerve and swagger to ping one top corner with the OUTSIDE of his boot. Total lad.