Skip to content

Glenn Tamplin Billericay boss

Billericay Town boss Glenn Tamplin investigated over blackmail claims https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/5495641/millionaire-billericay-town-owner-glenn-tamplin-investigated-by-police-after-player-reported-being-sent-death-threats/

The more you research the background to Tamplin's so called wealth and disolved businesses, the more you will come
to the conclusion that there will be no happy ending for Billericay fans.

Comments

• Being bought as a millionaire/billionaire's plaything actually sounds nightmarish. Living within your means whilst remaining competitive is the dream.

• @Shev said:
    Being bought as a millionaire/billionaire's plaything actually sounds nightmarish. Living within your means whilst remaining competitive is the dream.

Not necessarily. Say a true Wycombe supporter wins £120m on the Euro lottery (highly unlikely I accept), would it be a nightmare if he/she was happy to donate £2-3 million per year to the club?

Cue response from Dev!

• I hear you, @mooneyman - but didn't something similar happen with Torquay, before the money dried up? Not sure if a true fan would count as treating them as a plaything (I was thinking more of the likes of Leyton Orient's old owner) but point taken.

Either way, if I come into a windfall, I will test the theory!

• I think a true Wycombe fan who came into that kind of money would be happy to donate an amount to the club with no strings attached, rather than demanding to be handed control of the club.

• Even if they did, what would happen if they suddenly stopped giving that money to the club?

First thing I'd do if I won the lottery would be re-start the youth system and give Richard Dobson a 10 year contract

• Yes, good point.

I'd love to see our youth team up and running again one day, although EPPPPPP means youth systems are far less benefical to clubs like ours these days. Fingers crossed for at least some kind of development squad type setup at some point in the future.

• edited February 2018

If I won the lottery I would stick about £300k behind the bar for the season so no supporter has to pay for a drink for however long that lasts.

I would also finance independent food outlets throughout the ground so that it was basically like Taste of London every home game.

I would then have to fund some obesity awareness programmes, thinking about it.

• @peterparrotface , nice gesture, but that'd probably last about 2 games knowing some of our fans.

• @Malone yeah it definitely needs thinking through a bit.

• edited February 2018

If I won enough money to give away around a million a year, I think I'd put it into huge ticket incentives and match day packages (beer & food) to try get big attendances & create new fans long term. 5/6/7 years of stupidly cheap tickets would surely add a couple thousand to the base attendance.

• If I won a big lottery windfall, I'd invest it in longterm projects to secure the club's financial future:

1) Buying back the training ground
    2) Opening up the academy
    3) Paying off any outstanding debts to creditors
    4) A bit of a wild idea but lobbying for a road to be built (perhaps as part of a new housing development) connecting Adam's Park to Wheeler End, Lane End or West Wycombe to reduce match day congestion

• @Username, that'd be an interesting experiment, and with no risk with a backer.
    I remember the glory days of being a student and getting a 3 year season ticket for £120!
    That was incredible.

I think as an adult i got a 2 year later on, but that doesn't seem something the club really try these days.

• @Malone said:
    Username, that'd be an interesting experiment, and with no risk with a backer.
    I remember the glory days of being a student and getting a 3 year season ticket for £120!
    That was incredible.

I think as an adult i got a 2 year later on, but that doesn't seem something the club really try these days.

In my mind it's the most likely way of increasing the size of the club sustainably. If you give the club a transfer kitty, that money could easily be wasted in poor transfers, getting fans through the gate is always a winner.

• @OxfordBlue said:
    If I won a big lottery windfall, I'd invest it in longterm projects to secure the club's financial future:

1) Buying back the training ground
    2) Opening up the academy
    3) Paying off any outstanding debts to creditors
    4) A bit of a wild idea but lobbying for a road to be built (perhaps as part of a new housing development) connecting Adam's Park to Wheeler End, Lane End or West Wycombe to reduce match day congestion

The road idea makes sense. I’m sure the time it takes to get away must be a huge contributing factor in discouraging many people from attending.

In general I agree that the best way to spend a windfall donation would be on measures which require some big up front capital cost but provide long-term benefit and financial security.

I’m not sure about subsidising a programme of discounted ticket prices. Inclined to say people just get used to paying less and/or don’t value the experience. My prefernace would be a sustained marketing and advertising campaign around town and online, rather than cut price tickets.

• @mooneyman said:
    Cue response from Dev!

@Malone said:
    Username, that'd be an interesting experiment, and with no risk with a backer.
    That was incredible.

I would make one of donation, say 3/5 million..I wouldn't require much in return, just a stand named after me that sort of thing......

• I'd build a huge stadium out in Booker with integrated hotels and a shopping/ dining / lifestyle destination.

• @Glenactico said:
    I’m not sure about subsidising a programme of discounted ticket prices. Inclined to say people just get used to paying less and/or don’t value the experience. My prefernace would be a sustained marketing and advertising campaign around town and online, rather than cut price tickets.

I know the access to Adams Park is awful but I don’t understand why people consider it to be such a major issue when almost every ground in the country has similar problems. If you get 4,000 people wanting to leave any venue at the same time you’re always going to get delays.

• @Glenactico love the road idea. @glasshalffull come on...you have to admit we have a nice ground that is a bugger to get to and away from and reduces chances of casual fans or the undecided making an effort. I agree about tickets, I would rather give the club a million for players and a million towards infrastructure. The rest would go on my full set of gold teeth and my own football ground at Booker.

• If I had/won that sort of money, I would donate enough funds to the local Tesco Express to put a boxing ring in the car park for future player/fan debates. Could prove as good as the football in entertainment value?

• @drcongo said:
    I'd build a huge stadium out in Booker with integrated hotels and a shopping/ dining / lifestyle destination.

And invite the parasites back to share the stadium.

• I’d forgotten about the two/three year season tickets. I’m at an age now when I hesitate to buy green bananas so, whereas I’ve jumped at the “opportunity” in the past, it would take the prospect of successive promotions to entice me. If players contracts are to be frozen next season, it would seem reasonable for our season tickets to be treated similarly.

• Apologies for unwittingly deviating from the original topic although it has become essentially a discussion about funding.

• @micra said:
    I’m at an age now when I hesitate to buy green bananas

This made me actually lol

• @StrongestTeam said:
    Great idea, I know this loan shark who can help, says don't worry about the money.

Is he the one whose mate is a local builder!

• @Wendoverman said:
    Glenactico love the road idea. glasshalffull come on...you have to admit we have a nice ground that is a bugger to get to and away from and reduces chances of casual fans or the undecided making an effort. I agree about tickets, I would rather give the club a million for players and a million towards infrastructure. The rest would go on my full set of gold teeth and my own football ground at Booker.

As I said, the access is awful but if you drive to away games you will discover that it’s not a great deal better elsewhere. Imagine what it’s like for Premier League fans?
    I think the access problem at Wycombe is a convenient excuse for apathy.

• I personally know several people who don't go to Adams Park regularly because of the trouble getting out.

Call them fairweathers, plastic, apathetic, what you want. We are losing casual punters.

• Most grounds aren't at the end of a cul de sac in fairness, meaning you can exit in all directions.
    However, there's plenty of parking if you're willing to walk half a mile to a mile. By football fan standards that's a huge walk, but by most people's standards it isn't.

• @glasshalffull I hate those apathetic fans. They are almost NOT fans.

• Same argument to me as those who depart AP up to 20 mins before the end of every match. I just can't fathom it myself.

• Getting away from Adams Park is no worse than places like Northampton and wherever that place with the strange 3 sided stadium is.