Skip to content

Ainsworth to Barnsley

Don’t want to steal Richie’s thunder, but BBC Sheffield are speculating on GA to Barnsley if Paul Heckingbottom goes to Leeds.

Probably a load of cobblers but thought I’d let you all know.

Comments

• I think he will want to see this season out before he goes anywhere.

• It would be a dreadful time to leave us, just when we're boiling up for a really exciting finish, with our best attacking options in his time here.

• Despite the new investment there, I don't see it. They are battling relegation and he could end up fired after half a season, with how impatient clubs are.

• Didn't Heckingbottom sign a new contract within the last fortnight, or am I getting confused with someone else?

• heckingbottom to leeds is farcical and won't happen.

• barnsley want him and they look like they are going down.

• @rmjlondon said:
    heckingbottom to leeds is farcical and won't happen.

Farcical maybe, but looking more than likely now. http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/42944173

• @mooneyman I agree. Unless they pay him and dobbo and Wycombe a handsome dowry that cannot be refused I think Gareth will want to see this team promoted. If only for his cv!

• Realistically we are what we are. While I am sure GA would like to finish the season, if a championship opportunity came along, the head rather than heart may well make him take it - the opportunity may never come up again.

• Thanks for explaining Dev

• Thanks as ever for a fascinating contribution, Eric.

Proof if proof were needed of why managers owe no loyalty to their clubs. If rumours are true about Conte, six of the last seven premier league winning managers have gone by the end of May the year after. The other lasted one more season.

• Ainsworth will not leave Wycombe to go to Barnsley

We can go double or quits on the "us getting promoted" bet if you like (*)

(*) with the proviso you're not allowed to it off this time. Laying off a charity bet is disgraceful scenes

• Why is laying off a charity bet "disgraceful scenes", Eric. If i lose the bet, I will be paying the charity of your choice the agreed sum. If I win( and I hope not too) you will pay my charity the agreed sum.

I have no idea if Barnsley will offer GA their job.

• I can't see him going, if he does though we won't get much money as his contract is up at end of the season no ?

• Just think it's a bit muggy

• He's not even listed by any of the bookies.

• Can anyone shed some light on what Gareth’s contract status is with us?

• I have no idea what "a bit muggy" means in that context,Eric.

I do hope you are not insinuating that I will Welsh on the bet. If wwfc are promoted I will send £80 with some pleasure to a charity of your choice. If they are not I trust you will send £20 to mine. Every chance like last year I may choose to match it but that is my choice of course.

The fact that I also have bets riding on wwfc to be promoted in my own right doesn't strike me as any of your business.

• How does Eric know you layed it off?

• @rmjlondon said:
    I can't see him going, if he does though we won't get much money as his contract is up at end of the season no ?

Or season 20/21 if you believe the Mail. And I must admit the only time I would is if it contradicts something Richie says

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2917054/Gareth-Ainsworth-handed-new-five-half-year-deal-Wycombe-Wanderers.html

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Beginning to look ominous.....at the time we look most likely to finally achieve under his management

• Many would argue we have achieved every season under his management (although admittedly only just in the Torquay season).

• and a reunion with Jason McCarthy !!

• I really struggle to see it, unless Barnsley make GA and the club offers they can't refuse - and would they really go to those lengths?

For GA, I think he would find it hard to tear himself away from such a special season for a club flirting with relegation that would be in League One (hopefully with us!) next season. If it was QPR, or a mid to upper level Championship club, maybe. We all know he will probably be gone sooner or later, and everyone is going to wish him well, but for me, this feels like wrong club, wrong time. If we go up, he will have no shortage of suitors in the summer, I would think.

• @DevC said:
    I have no idea what "a bit muggy" means in that context,Eric.

I do hope you are not insinuating that I will Welsh on the bet. If wwfc are promoted I will send £80 with some pleasure to a charity of your choice. If they are not I trust you will send £20 to mine. Every chance like last year I may choose to match it but that is my choice of course.

The fact that I also have bets riding on wwfc to be promoted in my own right doesn't strike me as any of your business.

Do you mean welsh on a bet or are you just going to wear the stove pipe hat and a shawl?

I’m actually not sure if it’s p.c to use the word in that context anyway.

• I think people are a bit optimistic on the pull of Wycombe. I'm sure his wages would probably be more than doubled - and more than we could ever hope to offer in the future even if we go up, that's hard to turn down. Fingers crossed that he's not high on their wish list so he doesn't have to make that choice.

• I think he'll take us up at the end of this season and then at some point in the not too distant future after that he will become the next QPR manager

No inside info, just a hunch

• P.c. What a load of rubbish. The country is falling to its knees because of p.c. attitudes. That in itself is a stupid term anyway, not many politicians can be called correct.

• for what it is worth, Eric, my instinct says QPR too. I note their assistant manager left this week by the way. Timescale unclear but they look safe mid-low table , so no obvious rush perhaps.