Skip to content

Bad decisions even themselves out over the course of a season

If this is true how many bad decisions are owed to Chairboys for the remainder of the season? The yellow card for the Carlisle 'keeper (instead of the deserved red) just the latest in a long line of poor decisions to go against us this season.
Can't think of too many controversial decisions going our way so far. Quite happy to be proved wrong.

Comments

• Their keeper receiving a yellow for the pen was correct as Tyson was going away from goal. Haven't seen their penalty decision yet and whether Luke hand balled it or not but Ainsworth seems to think he didn't so hopefully we can appeal

• Yellow absolutely right for a legitimate but marginally late attempt to win the ball against a player going away from goal intent on nothing more than getting there in time to draw a penalty who puts it into row Z just before contact being made with the 'keeper.

Interested to see Luke's one: Gareth very confident in interview afterwards that it wasn't handball.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • As per everyone bar the OP really, the keeper definitely should have only got a yellow, despite what we all screamed at the game.

Tyson was going wide, and there were men getting back to the box.

That's before you add In the rule change about "honest challenges" for the ball.

Tyson must have been furious to make such a run, get absolutely smashed, and then see JJ miss a pen.

• Indeed. For all that his sole intent was to get the ball first so as to draw the penalty, it was brilliant by Tyson to get there.

• @fame_46 Just to let you know that @Cecil is not me , nor one of my family as far as i know, though i do agree with his comments above.

• Tyson had a good game again, and that burst of pace to get to the ball ahead of the keeper was terrific (avoiding the ubiquitous comment about his advancing years). Not quite up to Andy Baird's 'crash test dummy' best in terms of drawing fouls from desperate defenders, though for the longevity of his career it's probably for the best he isn't.

• @HCblue said:
    Indeed. For all that his sole intent was to get the ball first so as to draw the penalty, it was brilliant by Tyson to get there.

How can you be so sure that he was trying to win a penalty? Did you see how determined he was to stay on his feet in the first half when fouled by their number 6?
    If he’d gone down easily then their man was have surely been sent off.

• I know they’ve changed the law this season to say that it’s a yellow card if the keeper makes a genuine attempt to win the ball but was that a genuine attempt or did he know Tyson was too quick for him so took him out?
    I know what I believe.

• edited February 2018

@glasshalffull For sure, Tyson's sole focus was to get to the ball first. He knew how the rest would play out and he wasn't too shy to give it the full 2.5 somersaults with a twist and throw in an extra roll once he hit the ground when it did. He falls very naturally and well which is probably why he got a penalty and Bayo got booked when they both went down under very similar challenges against Coventry.

I have no criticism of him here in making this observation. I'd have needed a crash mat to avoid injury if I'd been going that fast into that situation.

• oh and btw Carl Boyeson was absolutely awful yesterday. I cant see luke getting off on appeal it clearly hits his hand or lower arm :( at least its only 1 game ban

• I’ve never understood how a particular player can hang in the air longer than others unless a little additional support is provided by, say, an opponents shoulder (or in tightly packed set-piece situations a teammate’s shoulder).

• @micra said:
    I’ve never understood how a particular player can hang in the air longer than others unless a little additional support is provided by, say, an opponents shoulder (or in tightly packed set-piece situations a teammate’s shoulder).

This may explain it for you Micra

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2013/apr/24/can-footballers-hang-midair

• Thanks @mooneyman. The reference to “illusion” and “timing” are key. PCH used to amaze me with the timing and height he achieved with his headers. (Not much height. - 18” perhaps- for his equaliser yesterday!). With the accent this season (thankfully) on passing to feet, his great heading prowess has not been so much in evidence.

• If decisions were to even themselves out, we are due about 500 free kicks for phantom shirt pulls on Bayo between now and the end of the season.

• Only "positive" in O Nien missing a game is that he'll be fresh for the midweek game. Hopefully Moore is back, and then Gape can move into midfield.

• You mean for next. Saturday I assume @Malone ? I think his absence yesterday was because of the statutory seven day break after sustaining a blow to the head needing medical attention. His excitement at the end of the game yesterday was remarkable and Sido nearly broke his specs jumping into the celebratory huddle.

• @Malone said:
    Only "positive" in O Nien missing a game is that he'll be fresh for the midweek game. Hopefully Moore is back, and then Gape can move into midfield.

Anyone know how long Sammy Saunders is out for?

• doubt he will play again this season or for us again as his deal is up, serious knee injury again for about the 6th time in his career.

• Excellent, expect him to be back for Exeter then.

• he wouldn't get in the side even if that was the case which it isn't.

• He will return as a second minute substitute in the play off final

• Talking of bad decisions, according to Twitter Beany was yellow carded after his goal on Saturday. If that’s true it’s disgraceful. He didn’t take off his shirt, go into the crowd, wind up the opposition fans or commit any offence other than celebrating a match winning and personally significant goal. How the hell is that a cautionable offence?

• @glasshalffull said:
    Talking of bad decisions, according to Twitter Beany was yellow carded after his goal on Saturday. If that’s true it’s disgraceful. He didn’t take off his shirt, go into the crowd, wind up the opposition fans or commit any offence other than celebrating a match winning and personally significant goal. How the hell is that a cautionable offence?

That ref was a total moron - how can Beany running back into his own half be the same as Carlisle's keeper sending Tyson into orbit?

• I thought their keeper knew exactly what he was doing when he floored Tyson and therefore deserved a red card.

• @glasshalffull said:
    Talking of bad decisions, according to Twitter Beany was yellow carded after his goal on Saturday. If that’s true it’s disgraceful. He didn’t take off his shirt, go into the crowd, wind up the opposition fans or commit any offence other than celebrating a match winning and personally significant goal. How the hell is that a cautionable offence?

Good job he didn't score two goals! Referees are not programmed to exercise discretion.

• @glasshalffull said:

According to the BBC we didn't have anyone booked on Saturday, confusing.