Skip to content

Wimbledon 2001

Random question - with the comparisons of today vs Wimbledon in 2001, does anyone know if there’s any videos or highlights of the replay game kicking around on YouTube or elsewhere?

Please post a link if you have one....

Comments

• @PrinceOfCrowell, good question, I'm pretty sure I've seen a highlights video of that match on YouTube but all I can't find it now.

There is this which has some footage from the game:

This show the last gasp equaliser in extra time:

I know who should know if other videos exist, let me make enquiries. I would really like to see the full match again, I can't remember what videos the club released that season, mine are all packed away somewhere.

• How well does Parkin do for that goal?

2 hours in, terrible pitch and he just glides across it

• It looks like footage really isn’t available online yet, but I’m hopeful some highlights will be soon. Until then here’s a timeline by minute of the key moments in the match, which might help convey the extraordinarily sustained level of drama and excitement throughout the evening:
    12 – 0-1, Gareth Ainsworth scores for Wimbledon, running from the half-way line after a Wycombe corner was cleared
    32 – 1-1, Dave Carroll equalises from close range after Andy Rammell’s shot is parried into his path
    39 – Andy Rammell suffers reaction to groin strain and is substituted by Andy Baird
    42 – Andy Baird carried off after being clattered by Mark Williams (just a yellow card for the evening’s pantomime villain, who would get his come uppance later)
    53 – Michael Simpson booked for a high tackle on Gareth Ainsworth
    70 – Michael Simpson sent off, second card for body checking Gareth Ainsworth
    77 – Dave Carroll breaks down with injury, substituted by Ben Townsend
    90+4 – Martin Taylor saves Neil Ardley’s penalty, after Paul McCarthy (allegedly) handled Marcus Gayle's cross

Extra Time:
    91 – 1-2, Wayne Gray restores the Dons lead from 15 yards
    120 – 2-2 Paul McCarthy stabs home the equaliser from a sliced Dannie Bulman shot, after a deft Sam Parkin cross

Penalties – Wycombe go first (descriptions by www.chairboys.co.uk):
    1-0 Steve Brown - scored with a firm strike
    1-0 Kenny Cunnigham - missed, hit the right corner of crossbar and post
    2-0 Jason Cousins - scored with another clean strike
    2-1 Jason Euell - scored just got the ball past Taylor's right
    2-1 Keith Ryan - missed, high over the bar to the left.
    2-2 Marcus Gayle - scored, sent Taylor the wrong way
    3-2 Dannie Bulman - scored, top left corner
    3-3 Jonathan Hunt - scored to Taylor's right
    4-3 Sam Parkin - scored, stroked home
    4-4 Neal Ardley - scored, sent Taylor the wrong way
    5-4 Chris Vinnicombe - scored, top left corner
    5-5 Darren Holloway - scored, top left corner
    6-5 Ben Townsend - scored, bottom right corner
    6-6 Wayne Gray - scored, to Taylor's left
    6-6 Jamie Bates - saved, poor penalty saved to Davis' left
    6-6 Peter Hawkins - saved, Taylor blocks on the line and then grabs the ball just before it looks like it might roll in and win the tie for The Dons
    7-6 Paul McCarthy - scored, with cool strike
    7-7 Kelvin Davis (GK)- scored, smashed home
    8-7 Martin Taylor (GK) - scored, placed to Davis' right
    8-7 Mark Williams - missed, the ball goes over the bar and Taylor races towards the Wycombe players and the celebrations can begin

The match finished 3 hours and one minute after kick-off. The attendance was 9464, with 4551 Wycombe fans but only 2000 away fans in the ground at the 7:45 kick-off time, traffic delays holding up many of the estimated 35 coaches.

Something not publicised at the time, Lawrie Sanchez wanted the penalties to be taken at the empty end, the referee Eddie Wolstenholme, apparently under instructions from the ground safety team, chose the home end. Sanchez threatened to take his players off but, after a discussion, it was agreed to toss for ends and the home end won.

The suspense of the penalties was a killer, particularly after Jamie Bates missed and the Dons needed to score the next one to win, but Martin Taylor saved and scored one himself, to add to his penalty save in normal time, not to mention other great saves during the game.

The roar when Williams blasted over was incredible, everyone was jumping, hollering or hugging each other, I’ve never experienced anything like that since. It was the best, the very best feeling I have ever had at a football match.

Match reports:
    http://www.chairboys.co.uk/onthenet/reports0001/wimbledon_a_fac_20feb01.htm
    http://www.chairboys.co.uk/onthenet/reports0001/wimbledon_a_fac_20feb01-90minutes.htm
    http://www.chairboys.co.uk/onthenet/reports0001/wimbledon_a_fac_20feb01-xpens.htm
    http://docs.wixstatic.com/ugd/13036b_cd7a499d37a54c729f4291e99cec467f.pdf

• Thanks @Steve_Peart. Never heard the story of the ends controversy before!

• Certainly my No:1 all time great match. Also included in that category is my Everton season ticket holding brother-in-law & his son. They periodically bring "that match" up in general conversation's.

• Thanks @Steve_Peart, i remember it like it was yesterday, the day before my 16th birthday. I was on one of the coaches that missed kick-off, making it to my seat just as Wimbledon took the lead.

A never to be forgotten night.

• @floyd Same here. Perhaps we were on the same coach? Guessing we're about the same age too - perhaps we're the same person?

• Goran Ivanisevic won his only Wimbledon title

• I went home, climbed into bed, got up again and went downstairs to watch TV for the rest of the night. The adrenaline was so much I never slept a wink and went to work as usual with a spring in my step. Never will that game and the emotions associated with it be repeated. It was madness.

• @PrinceOfCrowell said:
    Random question - with the comparisons of today vs Wimbledon in 2001, does anyone know if there’s any videos or highlights of the replay game kicking around on YouTube or elsewhere?

Please post a link if you have one....

I have the actual video of the whole match on VHS, Alan Parry commentating. I need to get it digitised before it turns to dust... know of anyone / anywhere that does this sort of thing?

• @Grawlix, wow, I would love to see the whole match again. I know you can do it yourself if you have the right software and cable but let me ask someone who knows about this sort of thing.

• it's really strange watching the game again, detached from the atmosphere and emotion of the night. It's actually not that good a game at all

And yet the greatest that I have ever seen

• The journey home, on the tube system and after a bit of a delay, hundreds exit in an attempt to get to Baker st for the later train to Amersham, while hundreds, if not into the thousands didnt give a toss and resigned themselves to missing the last train home.
    The party at Marylebone was gonna continue, fortunately Chiltern Railways held the last two or three trains back and the hoardes made it back to the Chair Metropolis. Once at Wycombe lots of groups could be seen scurrying like parched rats around town, desperately trying to find a late drink,
    to no avail i might add.

• @eric_plant, it was all about recovering from adversity, that we were down to ten men for 50 minutes, lost our two strikers before half time, were on the cliff edge three times and staring into oblivion (end of 90 minutes, end of extra time and one kick away in penalties). It's interesting that Gareth made such an impact in the match but was battling against such a strong team spirit which is now the trade mark of his team. I do remember thinking what a good player he was, in both games.

• that train ride home from Marylebone was eerily quiet

you'd imagine that it would have been racous and full of singing but I think we were all a bit overawed by the enormity of what we'd just witnessed

• @Steve_Peart absolutely, and it remains the greatest night of my football watching life

the other thing to mention about that night is the atmosphere the Wycombe fans created. I've never known anything like it before or since. 4,500 people singing non stop for 3 hours

• @ChasHarps said:
    The journey home, on the tube system and after a bit of a delay, hundreds exit in an attempt to get to Baker st for the later train to Amersham, while hundreds, if not into the thousands didnt give a toss and resigned themselves to missing the last train home.
    The party at Marylebone was gonna continue, fortunately Chiltern Railways held the last two or three trains back and the hoardes made it back to the Chair Metropolis. Once at Wycombe lots of groups could be seen scurrying like parched rats around town, desperately trying to find a late drink,
    to no avail i might add.

There were about 3 or 4 car loads of us from Hughenden Valley and someone with a mobile called our local pub The Harrow, to say how the game had gone and they agreed to stay open for us. We all made it to work next day with a spring in our step and sore heads. Amazing night.

• @Steve_Peart thank you for that wonderful summary. I can remember that night so vividly and it will never be beaten. It was just incredible.

I remember running up and down the front of the stand holding my shirt over my head, I have no idea why, before eventually remembering I had needed a wee since the start of extra time and running quicker than I ever have before, or since!

• @Grawlix I believe photographic chains like Max Spielmann or Snappy Snaps offer a VCR to DVD conversion service, though maybe not at every individual shop.

• Yes, from a quick search, there seem to be quite a few businesses in Wycombe who can do the transfer, @Grawlix, I'll DM you about this.

• @Grawlix @Steve_Peart I have a box which will copy from VHS to DVD. Willing to do this if you have no success elsewhere. I also have a fair few big (and not so big) matches stored on the hard disk of this machine, plus old end of season compilation videos etc, which could also be copied.

• @NewburyWanderer, thanks, I'll let you know. I too have a load of old Wycombe videos which I would like to convert to digital format. The club do have videos of some old matches on their YouTube channel, perhaps they could consider uploading some more of the old compilations, assuming they have copyright. It's a shame they don't do them any more, I suppose they would say it's all on iFollow and they wouldn't sell enough DVDs now.

• I had been in Scotland for a couple of days,went up on the Sunday morning, and flew back just in time to be collected at Heathrow by my mates. My wife was collected by my daughter to go home. Got to the ground late and parked on a pavement somewhere. Stunning experience all round.

• I must admit the car journey home was eerily quiet. One of the passengers was in his 70's and we got to the M25 before anyone said a word, those words were from the old wise one and he simply said .....'fucking hell'.

• For me, Wimbledon will never be beaten in terms of how close we came to losing on so many occasions. The sheer number of events and for us to somehow prevail is just incredible.

For pure emotion though, Torquay away is right up there. I was shaking with joy & relief

• Does Carlisle get the title of 'Adams Park's greatest ever game' ?? Can't think of anything to rival it

• @Vincey said:
    Does Carlisle get the title of 'Adams Park's greatest ever game' ?? Can't think of anything to rival it

Apart from Maybe Macclesfield, but we lost that!

• @Vincey said:
    Does Carlisle get the title of 'Adams Park's greatest ever game' ?? Can't think of anything to rival it

Huddersfield when Warnock was manager? won 2-1 with 10 men. I have memories of Warnock apoplectic with rage, (I honestly thought his head was going to burst like a huge cyst), at his own players!

• that was utterly magnificent

That Wolves game in the FA Cup 4th round was really special as well

Coventry in the league cup 2nd rd 2nd leg was amazing

• In terms of great Adams Park games I'd agree with Eric's picks and would probably add the Slough Town and Runcorn games in our promotion season from the Conference.