Skip to content

Winkleman has lost £3m in the last year

Comments

• Let's have a whip round tomorrow to help the poor bastard out!

• Not too fussed about Headingtons problems but the thought of Winkelmans obvious panic at his grimy little project going tits up makes me smile

• I don't want to see Oxford or any other football league club in serious financial difficulties. MK Dons is a different matter.

• absolutely wonderful news

• After nearly 15 years and god knows how much money he’s had to sink into the Franchise, maybe he’s telling the fans that coffers are beginning to run dry. Be slightly hilarious if they get relegated and AFC Wimbledon finish ahead of them, and we get promoted.

Unless you have mega bucks like those of Chelsea, Manchester City etc., eventually you can’t keep funding a football team out of your back pocket. How many Colne Dynamos, Rushden & Diamonds, Darlington, et al do we have to grow through until people realise that unless you can have an unlimited supply of cash, you won’t get into the Premier league in 5 minutes.

• I'm going to save that and read it whenever i'm having a bad day.

• Where does all the money go, for heaven's sake?...when they sold Dele Alli they said they's made £11.5 million in three years from player sales. He's probably clinging on for the sell-on fees for when Dele Alli goes to Barcelona, and must be gutted that he seems to be so settled at Spurs.

• edited February 2018

Yes

• If you live long enough things go round in circles. Good luck to AFC Wimbledon.

• @Wig_and_Pen said:
    Where does all the money go, for heaven's sake?...when they sold Dele Alli they said they's made £11.5 million in three years from player sales. He's probably clinging on for the sell-on fees for when Dele Alli goes to Barcelona, and must be gutted that he seems to be so settled at Spurs.

Everything at MK Dons is mortgaged to the hilt. The banks probably want their pound(s) of flesh.

• @ppf - you're like a pub rock encyclopedia. It's genuinely impressive.

• Franchises big posh ground must be a great drain on Wankermans resources but I have a solution to help him out. Hartlepool are in a perilous state but occupy a modest stadium in a very low cost part of the UK. If Wankerman bought out Hartlepool and moved Franchise to Create MK Monkeyhanger Dons he would massively reduce his overheads and further enhance his reputation for saving clubs. Naturally Franchise fans would be very happy to make the trip for home games.

• @Slaphead - love it. I believe that there is a reason Sky could be interested.

We are lucky: we're owned by the fans.

• @Slaphead said:
    Franchises big posh ground must be a great drain on Wankermans resources but I have a solution to help him out. Hartlepool are in a perilous state but occupy a modest stadium in a very low cost part of the UK. If Wankerman bought out Hartlepool and moved Franchise to Create MK Monkeyhanger Dons he would massively reduce his overheads and further enhance his reputation for saving clubs. Naturally Franchise fans would be very happy to make the trip for home games.

I've even better plan. Does that massive stadium at Darlington still exist? He could buy that (lands cheap up there), the MK fans will follow (of course), and he could still pretend that they have a plan to be in premier league in 5 years. Job done.

• edited February 2018

I'll call your safe cracker arena in Darlington and raise you a barely used 30,000 capacity stadium in Dourados, Brazil that has barely been used since it was built in 1986. They can tap into the footballing hotbed that is Mato Grosso do Sul, and I'm sure their suppo... sorry customers will loyally follow them the short distance over there every other week for home games.

• @ReadingMarginalista said:
    I'll call your safe cracker arena in Darlington and raise you a barely used 30,000 capacity stadium in Dourados, Brazil that has barely been used since it was built in 1986. They can tap into the footballing hotbed that is Mato Grosso do Sul, and I'm sure their suppo... sorry customers will loyally follow them the short distance over there every other week for home games.

But MK dons lot might get eaten by crocodiles... Oh, on the other hand......

• This just keeps getting better and better.

• @OxfordBlue said:
    This just keeps getting better and better.

Winkelman is reportedly worth around £160m so still has plenty left over to spend!

• Poxford only 5 points clear, if both were to go down and we go up that would be perfect .

• Especially if Plymouth lost in heartbreaking style in the playoffs.

• It wasn't that long ago that it looked like MK were going to soar up the leagues. It's no wonder their "fans" have gone so quiet

• Stadium mk and franchise fc are a money pit. I notice Winkleman has stopped trying to artificially create a fan base and has cut drastically promotional activity in neighbouring towns. I still believe that he’s looking for another tenant.

• @mooneyman said:
    Winkelman is reportedly worth around £160m so still has plenty left over to spend!

You would think he could afford a decent hairstylist? Jeez, I thought I was tight, still using the old Remington to avoid paying even OAP's rates.

• @Malone they were never going to storm up the leagues

They don't have a fan base

The end is coming for them, and it will be a day of much rejoicing

• they might have had a chance of staying up had he got a decent manager in who is the bloke who is running it ? fucking clueless.

• I can't help but feel Coventry City are a disaster waiting to happen. No ground & no money is historically a potent mix.