Skip to content

Comments

• Nailed it. Thanks for allowing us to re-live it all so quickly and with such excitement

• Cheers @Vital , sounds like one for the history books in terms of league position and record against top sides. We are truly pushing for promotion and every game gets more and more exciting! The league is tight as you like but with our form, bench and goals to shots ratio who’d bet against us? A night to savor...

• Tyson definitely walked over to the other side to waste time by the way!

• Totally agree with your ratings there. Brown made some incredible saves. Tyson was electric and clinical, his pace is still such a weapon. I also thought Paris had a great game, of course his goal was a great finish but also his pressing. But everyone seemed to give it everything, a real team performance.

• I'd have given Tyson a 10

• @eric_plant said:
    Tyson definitely walked over to the other side to waste time by the way!

I never really see the point in timewasting as the referee adds the time on anyway, as in this case with 9 minutes. It might even influence the ref to give borderline decisions to the opposition if he thinks a team is blatantly cheating.

• it was pretty obvious that the referee had completely lost his patience with us last night to the extent that the bookings he handed out were, in isolation, harsh

No doubt whatsoever that Tyson took the long walk to the opposite touchline in preparation for being substituted but given that the board had not yet gone up indicating who was to be taken off I'm not sure the ref can penalise him? Surely a player is entitled to go where he wants on the field of play?

And when Brown finally got booked for timewasting the ballboy had actually thrown the ball away from him when he went to collect it

To be honest, last night was far from the worst I've seen us. The players who went down were genuinely hurt: Gape had busted his nose, Tyson did that thing where kicked the studs of the defender as he cleared it which is very painful, and Tafari Moore looked as though he had concussion after getting whacked in the face by the ball, and indeed had to go off.

I just think that once the Luton fans had it in their heads we were wasting time then they were moaning when we took longer than a couple of seconds to take a goal kick.

• Basically any club with Hylton in their ranks has no grounds to accuse others of cheating. Justice served. With a side order of irony salad.

• @mooneyman said:
    I never really see the point in timewasting as the referee adds the time on anyway, as in this case with 9 minutes. It might even influence the ref to give borderline decisions to the opposition if he thinks a team is blatantly cheating.

I agree with you there Mooneyman. I said in the first half that the biggest certainty of the night was Brown getting booked for time wasting and I’m amazed it took so long to happen. I understand that it disrupts the opposition’s tempo but it also winds them up, rattles their fans and influences referees. It needs to be done more cleverly.

• I remarked that Tyson was being too much of a passenger around the half hour mark. Delighted to be proved wrong.

• I know I am going to get cyber abuse from the trolls for this but how long are we going to have to put up with this tactically inept manager, his terrible goalkeeper, poor quality, aging signings, terrible defence and inability to change things during a game. Not only that but he failed to come and clap the picture of my granny who walked past Loakes Park in 1956 (or something) the long haired b*****d!

• Sorry folks...a bit premature there. That was for the next game.

• edited January 2018

or the one after.
    Depending on results.

• On the topic of time wasting, when we kept the ball before a Luton corner and started to throw it around the away end i saw a few angry supporters feeling very embarrassed by this action. Just before half time when Luton had a late rally of corners and the ball landed in the away end a fan was about to give it back and JJ tells him to keep it. Just curious to know if anyone else saw JJ do this? clearly the players appreciated the breather and time to reset and interrupt Luton's momentum

• I don't like it meself. I think it also irritates the officials...which given the quality usually on show...will not do us any favours.

• @whitenight said:
    On the topic of time wasting, when we kept the ball before a Luton corner and started to throw it around the away end i saw a few angry supporters feeling very embarrassed by this action. Just before half time when Luton had a late rally of corners and the ball landed in the away end a fan was about to give it back and JJ tells him to keep it. Just curious to know if anyone else saw JJ do this? clearly the players appreciated the breather and time to reset and interrupt Luton's momentum

I believe the club were fined £6k for fans keeping the ball v Colchester so this practice has got to stop or it could cost us dearly.

• @Wendoverman said:
    I know I am going to get cyber abuse from the trolls for this but how long are we going to have to put up with this tactically inept manager, his terrible goalkeeper, poor quality, aging signings, terrible defence and inability to change things during a game. Not only that but he failed to come and clap the picture of my granny who walked past Loakes Park in 1956 (or something) the long haired b*****d!

I suppose I shouldn’t say this given the stick I’ve taken for repeating remarks made on other sites but I did enjoy your post Wendoverman.

• I believe you're making that up

• I don't make remarks on any other sites @glasshalffull so you should be okay.

• @whitenight said:
    On the topic of time wasting, when we kept the ball before a Luton corner and started to throw it around the away end i saw a few angry supporters feeling very embarrassed by this action. Just before half time when Luton had a late rally of corners and the ball landed in the away end a fan was about to give it back and JJ tells him to keep it. Just curious to know if anyone else saw JJ do this? clearly the players appreciated the breather and time to reset and interrupt Luton's momentum

Yeah that was common sense from JJ. No need to rush there.

• Standing about half way up the terrace my initial thought was that JJ had been indicating to the fans to calm down as at the time Luton were putting us under pressure.
    Anyway, if he was telling the fans to keep the ball its a very different to CMS against Colchester. We had a corner and CMS was very irritated that the ball didn't come back.
    Maybe we need a signal the players can use to let the fans know if they want the ball held or returned. A bit like the raised arm / both arms at corners (although I'm pretty sure that's just random to confuse the opposition).

• My opinion is that the ball should always be returned to the field of play, regardless of the game situation. If we are not careful we are in danger of spoiling further our reputation with both match officials and within the EFL.

• We could of course pass it along the crowd until it gets to the other end of the pitch before returning it. Now that would raise a huge amount of angst!

• Yes, I saw gesture as if to encourage us to hold the ball for a few seconds just to allow a breather.

If we were really fined to that level it should be publicised. I doubt anyone would think it worthwhile incurring that kind of cost, regardless of your views on the sportsmanship side of things.

• @Username said:
    I believe you're making that up

I am not. A member of the Trust board assured me this was what happened.

• @EwanHoosaami said:
    We could of course pass it along the crowd until it gets to the other end of the pitch before returning it. Now that would raise a huge amount of angst!

The ball should be first passed to a nominated supporter in possession of a towel so that he can give it a good clean before passing it on.

• If we'd been fined for it pretty sure the club would have issued a statement saying so and trying to discourage a repeat. Can't imagine it's true.

• As I've said I'm more worried about the refs and linos adding time or favouring the other side once we've sung our time-wasting song and held onto the ball for a few minutes. But I suppose it's all part of the fun - a knackered team hanging on to a 3-2 against the League leaders as nine minutes counts down!!

• Sorry to drag this back to near seriousness, but it's a sobering comment on the tightness of this league that, had we lost last night, we would now be 9th.

• Or even 8th. to be fair, I have been drinking