Skip to content

More than 3 points from next seven matches?

In the matches that were played against our next seven opponents during the first half of this season Wycombe earned a sum total of 3 points: W0 D3 L4. I am optimistic for a greater points tally from the forthcoming run of games, but is that optimism derived from a false reading of our recent form. Four wins from five sounds good but, digging deeper, beating the likes of Forest Green and Crewe isn't really an indication of a team being any good.

Despite only gaining 3 points from those matches we were still in a play-off position in the table at the season mid-point, so maybe a repeat would not be a total disaster, but a run of results like that would surely rattle team confidence going into the last quarter of the season.

Comments

• You're right @Uncle_T if we lose a lot of upcoming games instead of winning them it will severely damage morale and our promotion prospects.

• Difficult to play Devil’a Advocate on that one.

• I'd say beating Forest Green and Crewe with a handful of first team players missing is an indication of a team being any good @Uncle_T.

I do however agree our form against the top sides in the first half of the season is a major concern, especially when you look at our upcoming fixtures. And considering we still have to play Luton, County & Lincoln away, this does need to change in my opinion.

• We could have won all three home games against those three clubs, and in each we were undone by some average and at times abject goalkeeping/defending

I know I drone on a bit but I'm convinced that were we to secure the signing of a top quality loanee goalkeeper in the next week then we would stroll towards promotion (other injuries notwithstanding)

• We were not a thousand miles away from matching richie's boys, County and the Imps at home...but at this point if we take anything from them it will be great. Hopefully the Cup will knacker Coventry1

• @eric_plant said:
    We could have won all three home games against those three clubs, and in each we were undone by some average and at times abject goalkeeping/defending

I know I drone on a bit but I'm convinced that were we to secure the signing of a top quality loanee goalkeeper in the next week then we would stroll towards promotion (other injuries notwithstanding)

I can think of very few goals which I would attribute to Brown's deficiencies this season, and probably no more than we'd have blamed Blackman for at the same stage last season. I can also think of some very good saves which wouldn't be gimmes for all L2 keepers. Back up target man or another defender would be higher priorities for me.

• Blackman's ability to come for balls in the box last season took a lot of pressure off his fellow defenders. Now we generally have weaker defenders available this season Blackman's loss is exacerbated and has certainly cost us a few points.

However, we can't expect within our financial constraints to have a keeper as good as him all the time. Brown is an average second division keeper and we have to accept he is all we can afford at the moment.

• I can think of very few games where we were outplayed on balance (trying to be objective of course). Luton at home, we bossed a lot of the game, they came on strong late, and the equalizer was not a huge shock (though the winner was, unfortunately!). We conceded the howler own goal at home to Notts, but getting back to 2-2 it looked like only one winner before the two sucker punches. I think we had the better of the Exeter game, and thought we had won it with the last gasp Stewart shot.

Not to rehash everything, just to illustrate we are certainly good enough to take points off this lot. Yes, we will have many of them away now, but I am convinced we can take any of them. Part of the reason the Luton game is so massive is that it could set the mood for the other games. A big win up there, and we will really be walking tall!

• @eric_plant said:
    We could have won all three home games against those three clubs, and in each we were undone by some average and at times abject goalkeeping/defending

Browns two saves against colchester were phenomenal and arguably won us the 3 points..

• first one was right at him and any keeper would have saved

The second one was absolutely superb, you are correct

• To be fair he is a very good shot stopper. Where Blackman benefitted was his massive frame and ability to dominate the box. Brown will never be that keeper due to physical differences but he is good at this level.

• Brown doesn't dominate his 6 yard box let alone the penalty area

• always makes me smile when professional goalkeepers are described as "good shot stoppers"

well, yeah, they would be

• But some are better shot stoppers than others, and Brown pulls off saves you wouldn’t expect other keepers to make at this level. So it’s a reasonable and comprehensible thing to say.

We’d expect all midfielders (well, maybe not Marcus Bean) to be good at passing, but that doesn’t mean we can’t identify that some are better at passing than others.

I believe we had this exact debate on the original gasroom, although I can’t remember which keeper we would have been discussing.

• Matt Ingram was generally considered to be a good shot-stopper. He also didn't command his 6 yard box particularly well at times (put it this way, he was no Jamal in that respect), yet was widely thought to be too good for this level, before his move.

• Blackman is, and was, a solid Championship level goalkeeper, evidenced by his current team and their league position.

• @LeedsBlue said:
    Matt Ingram was generally considered to be a good shot-stopper. He also didn't command his 6 yard box particularly well at times (put it this way, he was no Jamal in that respect), yet was widely thought to be too good for this level, before his move.

Ingram has been unable to get in a struggling Championship team which is probably down to his inability to command his box. It may be that 1st/2nd division is his real level.

• He’s behind the well regarded Smithies, who won player of the year at the club last season. It’s often difficult for a second choice goalkeeper to force their way into the first team.

• Smithies is well regarded and there are always rumours of his departure higher up the pyramid.
    If/when this happens, I imagine Ingram would replace him as first choice.

• @eric_plant said:
    always makes me smile when professional goalkeepers are described as "good shot stoppers"

well, yeah, they would be

Martin Taylor was a good shot stopper.

• aka the scourge of Millwall

Wycombe Wanderers hall of famer

• @OxfordBlue said:
    Blackman is, and was, a solid Championship level goalkeeper, evidenced by his current team and their league position.

Benchwarmer these days, too many blunders (remember Spurs?).

• Brown with a consistent CB pairing in front of him is what we need. The combinations that we’ve tried since AP left have worked for some games but left the keeper exposed in others.
    GA extended YMKs stay with us till the end of the season and I can’t see us wasting resources having 3 keepers so that pretty much makes this a grindingly moot point.

• I’m not clear what particular point is “grindingly moot” @BuckinghamBlue. Has anyone suggested that we should have three ‘keepers? If they have (and I have missed the post) then I take your point. You never know, Alex Lynch, released by Chester, apparently for financial reasons, might fancy a spell back at Adams Park! Still only 22. And still six foot one and a half (@Malone!)

• Debating a change in first choice keeper is moot because it is no longer practically applicable as Gaz has made his intention clear to keep SB in place for the duration he underlined this by extending YMKs short term contract till the end of the season on the 17th of January.

• @micra Plus that young keeper that we haven't signed but apparently have. If you know what I mean.

• Forgot all about that keeper. Has anyone got to the bottom of that story yet?

• There's plenty of pictures of him in Wycombe training kit with the other players so he's clearly training with us at least.

• Who needs points from games? We've just gone third in the table and we're not even playing! Well done Crawley.

• If Crawley continue their recent form, they will be play-off contenders themselves, and we still have to go there.