Skip to content

Match day thread: Crewe

Comments

• The first half was dire. For large parts of the 2nd half we were awful.... But what a win!!

• Great great win. The sort of games you have to have if you’re serious about promotion. Two points off second place now.

• Have we stolen wins in the last min against the same team home and away before?
    Glorious finish!

• has a manager been sent off at both the home and away fixtures?

• Also, Gareth was sent off in the corresponding fixture last year.

• Great result

• As we keep saying Bayo needs a rest. I have run out of praise for that guy.

• He can have one now! 10 days until the next game.

Hopefully that gets everyone fresh, and gives a couple of the niggled up a chance to get back.

• Loved that today. No interest shown in a point from either side, it was all about the win.

Bayo, Tyson, CMS and Kashket all on the pitch together.

“WE’RE GONNA SCORE ONE MORE THAN YOOUUUUUU...!

Tremendous

• @StrongestTeam said:
    Mental, love it. Inept for lots of that tbh, as he finally goes to make subs we score anyway so its on hold and then its all a bit up in the air, the boys don't give up though, great way to win a game. Wonder if we might have won a bit easier if we had started with a better balance but who cares.

‘Inept’ is a bit strong. Scrappy first half, thought we were the better team second half. To come back from two big setbacks showed real character. Pitch wasn’t conducive to flowing football.

• edited January 2018

I thought we were dominant throughout (and clearly the better side) except for the short period at 2-1. At halftime I said I expected us to go on to win the game, and I was feeling pretty smug until their equaliser - I wasn’t expecting us to win after that though!

Looking forward to watching some of the incidents back on the highlights, plenty of controversy.

• Apart from the suggestion of handball in our second, what should I be looking out for on the highlights, @chris?

• The handball is the big one.

I’m also interested to know quite what happened for their penalty - not much protest from our players so it seemed like a reasonable decision, and I suppose the consequence of playing a young loanee centre half. There were a couple of other penalty shouts from either side I’d like another look at. Also to see how cheap was the free kick that Bloomfield won that I think led to our first. And whether Scott Brown should have done better for their second.

• Right. Thanks. Hopefully we get slightly fuller highlights than last week.

• Nailed on pen for their first, kudos to young Nathan for keeping his head up and playing well after the early setback.

I’ve not seen a replay of our second goal, but it looked like a Bayo handball to me in real time so can understand the Crewe frustration. Having said that, I thought Angol caught the ball the other week against Mansfield at AP and no pen was given.

They do stay things even themselves out over the season...

• IIRC, your co-commentator also thought Gape was shoved in the back in the penalty box...

• @StrongestTeam said:
    Good to see you on positive form glasshalffull bit tbh we were pretty awful first half, midfielders all over the place, when Bayo came deep for flick-ons it left paris as the only pace, only out and out striker and only width. They seemed happy with one nil and offered little i thought.
    After the subs we had a real good go though and those options up front should scare a few opponents.

@StrongestTeam said:
    Good to see you on positive form glasshalffull bit tbh we were pretty awful first half, midfielders all over the place, when Bayo came deep for flick-ons it left paris as the only pace, only out and out striker and only width. They seemed happy with one nil and offered little i thought.
    After the subs we had a real good go though and those options up front should scare a few opponents.

Still think you were being harsh but we all see things differently don’t we? Interested to read Vital’s description of the first half by a writer not normally noted for being overly positive.

• To be fair, the handball for our second is pretty obvious.

• @OakwoodExile said:
    To be fair, the handball for our second is pretty obvious.

Can’t see it that well on the coverage but who cares?
    We’ve had plenty of decisions go against us and I’m sure we’ll continue to do so.

• And just to remind people that this excellent away win was achieved without first choice players like Harriman, Jombati, Stewart, El Abd and Saunders. That’s half a team including most of our defence and our most creative midfielder.

• A reminder to Mr Artell that the law on handball is it has to be deliberate. No way was that deliberate handball by Akinfenwa. Furthermore I would argue the handball was only caused by a push from the defender.

• @glasshalffull said:
    And just to remind people that this excellent away win was achieved without first choice players like Harriman, Jombati, Stewart, El Abd and Saunders. That’s half a team including most of our defence and our most creative midfielder.

Everyone seems happy enough tonight (I know I am). Who are all these people who need reminding? I get it that it’s your mission to police the Gasroom for any dissent but bar three or four utter clowns who only surface when we lose, it really isn’t the sea of negativity you portray it to be.

• Great result, nicely done chaps.

COYB

• @arnos_grove said:

Not sure why you’ve taken this tone because you’ve put the wrong spin on my comments. I was just trying to underline the two great results we’ve had v Colchester and Crewe despite a threadbare squad. I have never portrayed the Gasroom as a ‘sea of negativity’, the opposite in fact. It’s the fans Facebook page that has cornered the market in negativity.

• A fantastic result that keeps us right up there! Doing the double over teams is so satisfying, pulling the three points out at the death yesterday and the old foes last week... priceless!

Trust GA to get the boys up for it in ten days, hope for no more training injuries and much needed consolidation. Seems we have the opposite of last season’s fixture conundrum so if we can use the time wisely and come back strongly we are looking good for the second half of the season and the fifth of the five year plan!

It sounds like GA is throwing caution to the wind in search of three points every week; exciting football and two points off second the result. Now if only we can reverse the result against the Hatters...

Ps. Why would DDH not be playing?

• It's actually a pragmatic approach. We basically need to score 3 goals to win games, so we have to set up to give us a chance of doing that

• Hylton got injured yesterday so possibly unavailable for our game.

What a result yesterday. It would be great if we can sell out for Luton, only 700 odd tickets I believe.

• @NorsQuarters This is actually year four of the five year plan - promotion

Year five is consolidation in League One.

• You are right of course @Vital. After all the poo pooing of the 5YP it seems as though GA is certainly taking it seriously. Let’s hope the club’s financial side is ready as the footballing side certainly are!

@fromtheside Thanks for the info; road rash?

@eric_plant Pragmatic it may be; certainly makes for rock and roll football and in the promotion mix as we are can’t be argued with really

COYB!!!!