Skip to content

Being forced to play loan players

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/42744447

I've always taken stories of having to play loan players with a pinch of salt and never really understood how this could ever be agreed.
Well I stand corrected and this story takes it to a whole new level.

Comments

• I think a lot of deals nowadays are on the basis that the loanee club pays a financial penalty if they don't play a loaned player. This is often by having to pay all, or a higher proportion, of the players wages if they are not selected.

• Sounds eminently reasonable and we’d be happy to play Eze if, in order to get game time, he was loaned back. Saunders is a big miss.

• What if the loan players is not performing though?

Still seems odd to me.

• That’s a good point @Right_in_the_Middle. I suppose it hadn’t occurred to me because, with a couple of notable exceptions, we have been only too pleased for our loan players to play every match.

• I think Danny Rowe was one of the weirdest ones, he was on loan to us for ages before signing permanently and got relatively little game time, then when we did sign him we shipped him out on loan elsewhere.

• As long as you select the right loan player you shouldn't end up playing a weakened team. If Chelsea had included a "financial penalty" when they loaned us Jamal in the event that we didn't play him, thst seems perfectly reasonable to me.

We know that Gareth regularly watches development teams and would have for example seen Eze and quickly come to the conclusion that he was something special and not a gamble.

• edited January 2018

@StrongestTeam - I think we have had more hits than misses with youngsters in the loan market in the last 2-3 years. Mawson, McCarthy, Blackman, Eze, Fred etc

• the bizarre Rowe story aside...surely there is no point loaning a player who isn't going to play?

• I know it's slightly off topic, but as the article featured Cardiff, it reminded me of Ikechi Anya. Is he still there or has he got swamped by the volume of players at the "bigger" clubs?

• @EwanHoosaami said:
    I know it's slightly off topic, but as the article featured Cardiff, it reminded me of Ikechi Anya. Is he still there or has he got swamped by the volume of players at the "bigger" clubs?

Do you mean Kareem Harris?

• Or even Kardeem!

• Anya at Derby County I think.

• Apologies age related confusion. Meant of course Mr Harris.

• @Wendoverman , loan keepers for mere cover are surely often in that boat?
    And even outfield players to get in and around a pro team set up etc. We don't do many of those, but we had Senior (was it?) from Brentford who barely got any action?

And the other chap who came in with Rowe from Rotherham, who with all due respect I can't even remember his name. Very often on the bench, never got a min of action, even as a late sub or in the checkatrade cup (or whatever it was)

That was truly bizarre, not to trust him for even a min

• The very same Courtney Senior who came on last week for Col U and gave as good a 15 minute cameo performance as can be expected in the circumstances.

Nicky Walker also came in a package deal with Danny Rowe, now at Shaw Lane AFC and featured in their televised Round 1 FA Cup tie v Mansfield.

A couple of years ago we had a lad James Ferry on loan who never played either. Arrived at the same time us Jermaine Udumaga, both from Brentford.

• @Croider said:
    The very same Courtney Senior who came on last week for Col U and gave as good a 15 minute cameo performance as can be expected in the circumstances.

Nicky Walker also came in a package deal with Danny Rowe, now at Shaw Lane AFC and featured in their televised Round 1 FA Cup tie v Mansfield.

A couple of years ago we had a lad James Ferry on loan who never played either. Arrived at the same time us Jermaine Udumaga, both from Brentford.

Can add Williams from qpr to the list of loanees who's didn't play

• “Financial penalties” could simply mean an agreement if “we’ll still pay his wages if he players 14 games, otherwise your liable to pay them”.

• I wonder if they specify minutes or just "games"

Otherwise, you'd just sneak them on for 30secs at the end of games to avoid the penalty.

• I suspect it will be to start games. Less likely to substitute them in the first half unless injured.

• @Username said:

Williams played against WHU u-23’s in tin pot cup

• So plenty of examples just from our own club of loanees who don't play, and are some sort of favour in link ups with other clubs.

When you look at some of the loans we've had it's certainly worked keeping certain clubs sweet!

• williams played more than one game.

• You'd still put him in the "didn't play" category

• I think some those type players are loaned out and not really expected to play. Gaining experience of being in a first team environment; training and match days, to see how they react and handle themselves.

• edited January 2018

Williams came on as sub in the 4-2 debacle against Notts County.

• @SEWanderer @StrongestTeam A couple of seasons ago, Palace sent us a player for that exact experience. He wasn't strictly on loan I think, more on 'work experience'. Trained with us for a few weeks and was around the ground on match days.