Skip to content

Cyrille Regis - RIP

Very sad - 59 is no age at all

Comments

• It's my age!

• Very sad news, I remember being so excited when I heard he'd signed for us. He was the first "famous" player I knew to sign for Wycombe Wanderers.

• That's tragic. His partnership with Simon Garner was fantastic.

• RIP Cyrille.

That screamer that summer’s day at Orient will always be one of my treasured Chairboy moments.

• Very Sad news RIP

• oh my goodness that is terrible news

He was a great player and a great man. He will always be remembered with great affection by Wycombe fans

• It feels its been a terrible 12 months for people related to WWFC passing away. RIP.

• Such a shock for his family. RIP Cyrille.

• Really sad. Met him once at a football trophy celebration for our team.
    Obviously that great season being treated to him and Garner up front too.

Real shocker.

• Such sad news . Loved watching him up front with Simon Garner.

That sizzling hot afternoon on the huge terrace at Leyton orient where Cyril effortlessly curled one in from 30 years was poetry in motion and caused my friend to throw his cup of tea high in the air covering those in a 5 metre radius - magic days .

Cyril and Simon received a lot of press at the time due to their respective ages - however they were magic together - formidable .
    Cyril worked so hard for us up front and was a big favourite of the terrace .

Rip Cyril and thanks for the great memories .
    Nice one Cyril .

• It was a pleasure to see him in a blue quartered Shirt. a sad loss . RIP Cyrille

• RIP Cyrille. It really was a massive honour to have had you play for Wycombe. A real great man.

• Very sad news.

Scorer of one of my favourite ever Wycombe goals away at Birmingham and part of one of my favourite forward partnerships with Simon Garner.

RIP big man.

• @eric_plant said:
    oh my goodness that is terrible news

He was a great player and a great man. He will always be remembered with great affection by Wycombe fans

My feelings exactly. Sincere condolences to all his friends and family. RIP Cyrille.

• Very sad news indeed. Thank you Cyrille for what you gave us, it was an honour and pleasure to have you play for us. Rest easy now big man.

• What sad news to hear today. My thoughts are with his family but also with the great memories he's given me as a Wycombe striker but also as a bit of a pioneer at WBA and with England.
    RIP Cyrille. You won't be forgetten.

• @Lloyd2084 said:
    RIP Cyrille.

That screamer that summer’s day at Orient will always be one of my treasured Chairboy moments.

Totally agree - that amazing goal was the first that came to mind for me... along with scoring the winner at St Andrew's against Birmingham, the only Midlands team he never played for.

• Rest in peace Cyrille. One of my favourite memories of that season was the late equaliser in a 2-2 draw down at Plymouth a header from a corner that Cyrille was absolutely determined that he was going to get to. Centre forwards like him are a very rare breed nowadays.

• He was blessed with rare pace, power and a quality of movement? His partnership with Simon Garner will always live in my memory. A gentle giant. RIP Cyrille.

• I'll never forget that night at St Andrews. Regis was bloody brilliant and scored the winner in what was a real backs to the wall victory. A real Martin O'Neill classic win against all the odds in a really hostile environment of 14,000 plus Birmingham fans under floodlights.

One of the great nights to be a Wycombe fan.

RIP Cyrille

• I believe I am right in saying that Big Cyrille was the last player signed permanently who was older than I am. And now he's gone. Blimey.

RIP

• what a player and a man, what he did for football in the country should never be forgotten.

• Went to a handful of games in the season before but in 94/95 I was lucky enough to have my first season ticket and also get taken to a few away games.
    As a 10 year old I was completely in awe of our Regis & Garner front line. RIP Cyrille - a special man who also gave me special memories.

• Looking back at Cyrille's goals, i think i only witnessed one live, as back then i was a kid, and only privileged enough to go occasionally.

However, it was probably his 2nd best, the chest and volley, v Orient maybe? Maybe not.
    His best goal has to be his last for us, now that was Orient away i think? Turning outside and left foot curler!
    I remember O Neill joking along the lines of saying he'd proved his worth with his 9 goals before the new year, but didn't think he;'d take it literally and not score again until the last day!

Those were really exciting days, I remember we'd signed De Souza, and he was on fire, scoring every game, until that injury

• Genuinely shocked and saddened. RIP Cyrille

• Awful news. Before my time, but surely every Wanderer fan knows what he did for us. 59 no age at all. RIP.

• I remember the day he joined us. Probably the biggest name player we had signed up to that point.
    Martin said something like - 'when you've got class, age doesn't matter'. How true.
    I also remember his goal at Birmingham. From a Simon Hutchinson cross if my memory serves me correctly.
    RIP Cyrille.

• There's a great video been put up by the club in YouTube of all his goals for us.......not sure how to put the link up on here

• is the Cyrille compilation. A sad day indeed.

• Blues aside a true Trail blazer in the game. Very sad day indeed.