Skip to content

Transfer Window

Comments

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • we've got a good squad with lots of attacking options, a lot of whom are in direct competition for places with him but who are also coming to the ends of their careers

he is young, and still improving, and one would hope is learning lots from playing with the likes of CMS, Tyson and Bayo (not to mention being managed by Ainsworth) both in training and in matches

stop trying to shift the debate just because you're so obviously wrong

• @Jonny_King @aloysius , I'm glad some people got what i was driving at. I was worried i was being unintelligible.

• @micra He has a very similar gait to Guppy in flight and his crossing is pretty good too. The Guppy comparison is a good one.

• edited January 2018

Freeman was great in the first half at FGR but his lack of any contribution without the ball is one of the reasons we were overrun by 10 men in the second half. He gives a good attacking option as a substitute but he’s got to add a lot to his game to challenge to be a regular starter for me.

He’s leagues ahead of Southwell though.

• @eric_plant said:
    you said he was '(probably) unlikely to get a new contract'.

Everyone else who has seen him play this season is absolutely certain that he will.

No doubt the club mole Richie will let us know soon!

• Don't see anything of Guppy in Freeman personally. He is though, a tidy player with some good technique, who doesn't waste many passes at all, and can cut back and get a decent cross in.

Unlike Southwell, who i'd say needs to play as THE striker or not at all, at least Freeman has both wings or wide midfield where he could fit in. Nowhere near as certain as everyone else seems to be that he'd be offered a new deal, but would definitely be on board with it.
    Needs a "proper" breakthrough season though. But that can come

• I like Freeman and think he's improved dramatically from last season. I think the Guppy comparison worked then - he was a tricky winger with a slim build who liked to jink balls past the opposition full back. But this season he's bulked up, plays higher up the pitch and runs more directly at the opposition; and has the confidence to take a shot from the edge of the box. Another season of more regular play and he could be a real star. Given Tyson and PCH are reasonably injury-prone I suspect he'll get far more opportunity in the second half of the season to start matches. Plus, he's likely to be reasonably cheap and is good at staying fit. A new contract is a no-brainer, in my opinion.

• Not for the first time, I find myself in line with @Chris's view on this. He was great first-half on Saturday, showing the lovely touch and balance we see from him quite regularly. Then, he went somewhat missing in the second half. Since he was on our side of the pitch, I watched him quite closely that half. He didn't exactly fight to get involved in the game - though it would be fair to say he wasn't alone in that regard. Purely an impression, but I wondered if there was a slight lack of mental engagement.

I say all that as a fan. I've always enjoyed his neat play and often wish to see him on in the last few minutes of a game: I like the way he runs at tiring defenders and he rarely wastes possession.

• A young, highly talented player who's getting better and better. I'd hope and expect to see him in a Wycombe shirt for a few more years.

• I think the Guppy comparisons are a little unfair. Steve Guppy is one of the greatest players in the club's history, and went on to play for England.

Freeman will not do that, but he'll do a decent job for us in the 4th and (hopefully) 3rd tier

• I don't see any comparison with Guppys playing style at all.
    Freeman appears very rigid at times, with his head down.
    But I'm struggling to think of a player, who could pull a ball back as well as Nick from very tight situations.
    Has a lot of potential in my opinion.

• I have been very impressed with Tyson...even after his injury his tracking back has been exemplary...I just worry Gaz waits too long to replace him when he's flagging.

• @DevC said:
    why may I ask do you think he starts only when absolutely necessary Micra.

For obvious reasons I can make no comment, but am curious.

He has had nine starts since Tyson was injured in October. This is his first season as a regular member of a football league squad and I guess, understandably, GA regards Tyson as his first choice. Nick has looked the part as the understudy and I rate him highly, as I am sure you gathered.

• Freeman, I would offer a contract extension TBH. Those who claimed he had a poor 2nd half v FGR would do well to note that he got shifted to the centre, from the left when Bloomfield went off. Then when CMS got the "shepherds hook", Freeman got moved to the right. No wonder he didn't effect the game as well 2nd half when he was pushed and pulled all over the park. Does go to show how versatile he is and as such, with a limited squad size, as has been noted before, utility players are a valuable asset.

• I hoiked muller back once. ended up in a&e

• Yoghurt a good sense of humour.

• I thought it had past your eyes

• @HCblue said:
    Not for the first time, I find myself in line with Chris's view on this. He was great first-half on Saturday, showing the lovely touch and balance we see from him quite regularly. Then, he went somewhat missing in the second half. Since he was on our side of the pitch, I watched him quite closely that half. He didn't exactly fight to get involved in the game - though it would be fair to say he wasn't alone in that regard. Purely an impression, but I wondered if there was a slight lack of mental engagement.

I say all that as a fan. I've always enjoyed his neat play and often wish to see him on in the last few minutes of a game: I like the way he runs at tiring defenders and he rarely wastes possession.

Perhaps you’ve hit on the reason why GA doesn’t start Nick as often as he does other wide players. As we all know, GA likes his front men to track back (with the understandable exception of Bayo) and both Tyson and Mackail-Smith in particular are outstanding in that respect whereas Freeman has a more languid style.

• Don't milk it

• Sorry? Don’t know what you mean.

• Oops, just read your earlier post so not a sense of humour failure. Perhaps I should have bottled it.

• I agree with you wholeheartedly micra.

• Forest green sign rubean reed from Exeter...good signing

• Bloody Hell, He's played at more West Country clubs than Jethro !!

• Forest Green have also offered £60k for a keeper from Charlton. Obviously splashing the cash to avoid relegation.

• I hope they retain their league status.

• Could turn out that we did well to play them twice already.

• @ValleyWanderer I hope they don't.

• I must have fallen into a deep sleep and missed most of January as some posters on the fans Facebook page are asking why we haven’t made any signings yet!