Skip to content

Transfer Window

I think this window is surprsingly tough for GA and his team (well him and Dobbo).

If all the players we have out at the moment come back strongly there is barely scope for realistic improvement. If we don't bring in players and the injured players can't or don't return to form and fitness we could be high and dry, if we do recruit and players return we have built a squad that is 'fat' and this might dilute the harmony that we clearly have at the moment.

Apart from WDH and Southwell I can't see too many obvious outs.

Comments

• Why is WDH an obvious out?

• I can see WDH and Southwell going out on loan for game time

Renewing Umerah's loan as long as he's fit looks to be likely to happen.

Is it pointless trying to find another Eze for the second half of the season? I feel like we need another creative ball playing midfielder if we're serious about promotion.

If WDH goes out on loan then a replacement for him?

Is Ma-Kalambay signed up for the year now?

• It's a tough balancing act with the current system and the loss of emergency loans. For that reason I'm not sure we will see much movement.

What makes you list WDH and Southwell as 'obvious outs'? I would say they were exactly the kind of lower cost squad members we need at the moment. I'm not sure moving both out creates enough for one quality in.

• WDH isn't up to it in my book, and Southwell just isn't playing enough, and for his own career as much as anything, needs to go and play and score some goals.

If Kashket is genuinely going to contribute, and we get Umerah back, I'd loan Southwell to a conference side in a heartbeat.

• I really do think we should hoick Muller back, at least for a few games, and give him a chance to prove he deserves his place in the Wycombe line-up. With our defensive injuries as it stands, I can't for the life of me see why we wouldn't.

Southwell is a difficult one. Let's say Umurah returns - that would mean Southwell is once again third, probably fourth choice for the central striker role, behind Akinfenwa, Umurah and CMS. Given he really struggles as a wide attacker I'd say, with reluctance, his time at the club is probably drawing to a close. But I'd give him a chance in the middle first. Let's rest Akinfenwa (who looks like he needs it) and give Southwell one match in his favoured position and see what happens.

WDH has never really impressed me but I think we'd be crazy to let any central defender go this window. And as for new additions - I'm still of the view that if we can't get a player of the quality of Eze in, we still have a decent enough squad as it is to secure promotion. With three to play from Saunders, O'Nien, Bean, Gape and Bloomfield we're not badly off. Maybe one more central midfielder to cover for injuries but I'm not sure we need another automatic first teamer in on loan.

• No need to get rid of anyone in Jan, but Southwell and WDH are clearly up against it to ever be regulars here.
    Southwell needs to play up front for a team who play to his strengths. As much as he may well enjoy being a "pro" and having the higher wage, he surely misses just simply playing regularly, and vaguely being near the goal.
    10min run outs every 6 games surely does him no good whatsoever.

• if we want to be anywhere near the Top 7 come may I would suggest we need at least 4 players in over the course of this month, and 2 at least before the weekend.

• We ended yesterday with our 5th or 6th choice centre back, our 4th choice right back, a loanee playing his last game , a hobbling winger in off the bench, nothing much left on the bench, another 20% of the squad in the treatment room. Off course we have to bring fresh legs in to maintain momentum. Gaz has a proven track record of bringing on raw tallent , time to leverage that reputation and bring in a Mawson , Eze and Onyedimna (sorry about the spelling!).

• Why would getting two players in before a cup game by crucial towards an aim of finishing top 7 in the league? Puzzled.

• Have just posted exactly the same in ex-player thread. "Only" £2.5m being mooted - slightly disappointing. Potential bonus from Ingram but not for a couple of seasons at least - cant think of any more.

• 4 new players to get even 7th? Wow.

After a mad run of games, it now settles down, with only 1 mid week game per month over Jan and Feb.
    2 weeks to the next league game, so hopefully we'll have a few back by then.

Kashket getting on the bench would be a big lift to everyone.

• @perfidious_albion said:
    We ended yesterday with our 5th or 6th choice centre back, our 4th choice right back, a loanee playing his last game , a hobbling winger in off the bench, nothing much left on the bench, another 20% of the squad in the treatment room. Off course we have to bring fresh legs in to maintain momentum. Gaz has a proven track record of bringing on raw tallent , time to leverage that reputation and bring in a Mawson , Eze and Onyedimna (sorry about the spelling!).

If we bring in "fresh legs" are they going to play when Stewart, El-Abd, Scarr and Jombati recover from injury? Unless some or all of these are out long term, it is financial madness to spend money on more defenders. We do not have the limitless funds that Luton have.

Assuming Umerah proves his fitness and can get him back then Southwell needs to go out on loan. Ideally another attacking midfielder to replace Eze.

• I feel we need a defensive midfield player to allow Sam a much more attacking role. Yes we have Bean but we need cover in that position. With Sam in a free role and O’Nien doing the up and down role, we need that balance. We were overrun in midfield against Mansfield and a bit of height and strength in midfield would help a lot.

• edited January 2018

we won't beat Preston with what finished at Forest Green and GA needs to stop kidding people about Scott Kashket who has had a relapse.

• We can now confidently predict an easy win at the weekend, featuring a Scott Kashket hat trick.

• @rmjlondon and luton will walk the title, and the best referee we had at Adams Park was the one who oversaw Luton's victory, we know, we know. We won;t make top seven without four more players. Say something positive about the team you support richie. Go on.

• Richie is always positive regarding his beloved Hatters.

• Kashket hasn't had a relapse. He had a minor set back and they are giving him as long as possible to ease him back. It was spoken about openly during Saturdays match with Phill and Beany.

• Gape is also now injured and won't be fit for the weekend.

• I worry about Tyson as well, I don’t know whether he took a knock yesterday or whether he’d just aggravated whatever injury he’d just “recovered” from, but he didn’t look at ease out there.

The defence does worry me, they’re left so exposed by the 3-man midfield - Scarr and WDH are doing their best but I’d like to see more cover in that position.

Re. the elusive Kashket, I still think even when he does return, I think it’d still take him a few weeks to hit some form.

• The injury conundrum is perplexing.
    Tyson was looking to the bench after jarring his left knee but hit that long shot shortly after, any potential injury must play with his mind after the past few seasons problems.
    Saunders knee was heavily strapped as well.
    I’m not at all sure we will see Scotty K again.
    Maybe just one really decent surprise loan could make all the difference, let’s remember Nico Yanariss.

• Funny how we all see things. Just before Tysoe took that shot, I thought he was stretching out his left hamstring. Few minutes earlier how was holding an area just above the right side of his pelvis, which made me think he had a psoas muscle issue which can contribute to a tight hamstring? Alternatively could it have been a hip flexor issue as he made a grab immediately after a twist & turn motion?
    At the end of the day, I know little more than the rest of us.

• we are down to the bare bones simples and need some players before the weekend.

• To be brutally honest I don't think WDH is up to league standard from what I have seen.

Southwell is a much harder one for me. I would definitely like to keep hold of him for now. He was clearly a prolific striker at Boston finding the net 52 times in 2 years. I do wonder if he might be better suited to an attacking midfield role with our current squad rather than a striker. I like what I’ve seen so far of his general attacking ability on and off the ball. He does seem to be fairly decent player all be it inconstant at the moment. I do wonder if it is a confidence issue as he is billed as a striker, but only finding the net only once in 17 for us is not great for a striker.

• @BSE, a lot of points there to cover.
    Not sure how you can either judge Southwell as inconsistent (?), or say you like his general attacking play, when he's barely had a look in for 2 seasons. When he does play he's largely shunted out wide, which he looks almost totally ineffectual attacking wise, but he can provide a sort of defensive winger role.

Having said that, you can't judge his goal scoring rate, when he next to never plays a full game, and almost never in his main position.

• CMS doesnt play in his position either but has 8 goals. Dayle will never score goals at this level while he has a hole in his bottom.

• BSEBSE
    edited January 2018

Reading it back I do seem to have written a bit of a mess sorry!
    I have waffled a bit there & typed a bit of a contradiction.

I just meant to say, I think Southwell general play with the exception of the scoring part has been better generally than poor on the occasions we get to see him. From the good parts I have seen I think he is better suit to playing in a CAM role, but I don’t see him in all week ever week like Gareth so what do I know.

• @rmjlondon said:
    CMS doesnt play in his position either but has 8 goals. Dayle will never score goals at this level while he has a hole in his bottom.

A few retorts sprang to mind but either unfunny or unprintable.

• Worst case scenario for Sat... Gaz as our only outfield sub, plus M-K, in a two-man bench.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.