Skip to content

Should we call Max Muller back?

With his loan coming to an end at Morecambe and our current centre back crisis would we fans welcome him back or will Gareth persevere with WDH & Scar in the hope Adam El-Abd makes a quick recovery. Certainly didnt look good for Stewart.

Comments

• Hi @EwanHoosaami. Thanks for the lift and your company yesterday. Good fun. :-)

I guess Max is welcome back but I'm not sure he's an obvious upgrade over Scarr and WDH. Heard Stewart did his calf. Didn't hear how bad they those go it was. Guess we'll have a good idea about that and El Abd in good time before we have to decide about Max. If it's going well for him up there, I suppose the default is let him stay there unless we really need him, yes?

• Apologies, should have worded that better. I am sure we would "welcome" Max back.

Perhaps I could have typed, "do we need him back", given our current centre back crisis?
    Do we think Gareth has the confidence in WDH? Given Gareths post match interview, in which he implied along the lines of "it's time for Will to step up to the plate and prove he wants to be a professional footballer". Can read in to that two ways I guess. My thinking was Max has at least been playing L2 football for half a season now, whereas WDH hasn't featured in many games at all, so is Max the better bet? There is every chance that Max has played against some of the forwards we are about to be up against and may have learned a thing or two that may benefit the team now.

Just thinking out loud really.

• I’ve been wondering the same but instinct (and GA’s comment re WDH, which I’d not heard) tell me that Max is very unlikely to be recalled. In terms of cover in the present situation, the interchangeable trio of Gape, Bean and Jombati must also come into the reckoning. (Not suggesting Gape in central defence, I hasten to add!)

• By the time we could recall Max, we could also sign the next Alfie Mawson/ Jason McCarthy on loan. Muller is playing every week at morecambe. Let him develop his career there.

• Let's call him Max

• @DevC said:
    By the time we could recall Max, we could also sign the next Alfie Mawson/ Jason McCarthy on loan. Muller is playing every week at morecambe. Let him develop his career there.

Why can't he further develop his career with us? Max, as far as I'm aware is still registered as a WWFC player. Max may be at a level that could benefit us now given our current injury stats.

• If he would rather be on the bench at Wycombe rather than playing at morecambe and we want him here, then fine.

If more likely he would rather stay there, then let him in my view and bring in someone better.

• My view is that neither option is more likely than the other.

• edited December 2017

@Right_in_the_Middle pretty unlikely that it’s exactly fifty fifty

• @DevC said:
    If he would rather be on the bench at Wycombe rather than playing at morecambe and we want him here, then fine.

If more likely he would rather stay there, then let him in my view and bring in someone better.

So he hasn't improved then and would add nothing? I would suggest that you've seen less of him during his loan period with Morecambe than you have WWFC, so to suggest that he is mealy a bench warmer with zero evidence is a bit harsh isn't it? Can we afford someone better Dev?

• Ewan
    Time will tell but personally I very much doubt he will play for Wycombe again - especially as we were happy for him to play in cup for morecambe.

Wouldn't be surprised if a new loanee came in and wdh left too.

• @DevC said:
    Ewan
    Time will tell but personally I very much doubt he will play for Wycombe again - especially as we were happy for him to play in cup for morecambe.

Wouldn't be surprised if a new loanee came in and wdh left too.

Why would WDH leave? It seems that Gareth prefers him over Muller (and from what I have seen I agree). Even if Stewart and El-Abd get fit we still need cover which is currently Scarr and WDH. Sido is not the answer either.

If Stewart has a long term injury, then yes we will need a higher class loanee to come in.

• Sido looked a pretty good answer today! Over WDH as a backup for me any day.

• edited December 2017

Muller only made the bench today for Morecambe.

• Unless of course Gareth has asked for him back in good condition next week.

• Agree re Sido @Malone. And only one heart-stopping moment - first half covering for JJ and indulging in a bit of inappropriate flair. Don’t you just love the guy! Very much his own man. The telescopic right leg was working well yesterday, too.

• agree with @micra and @malone Sido's 'flair' worries me at right back, never mind Centre Back but he and Scarr were immense against Newport...along with Gape. JJ's defending is a bit hit and miss and was it me or were a few of his deliveries a bit poor yesterday? Other than that...an excellent display from the back five.

• I read this sort of criticism quite often about JJ.

I think it's because his best crossing is excellent, and it's a big part of our play.
    Whereas whoever is right back we expect next to nothing in terms of delivery in comparison.

• @Malone you could be right, as he's usually involved in the goals at some point.

• Should we call Max Müller back? No.

• Should QPR call Eze back? No.

• Sido can produce some heart stopping moments, when he chose to dribble the ball across our goal with a Newport player chasing him down everything English in me screamed lump it up the pitch but I was wrong and it was fine and maybe we need someone a little unorthodox.

• Every team needs a Sido.

• Every team may need a Sido, but not every fan with a dodgy ticker!

• edited December 2017

That's the English football disease to a core though isn't it.

The cries of "get it forward" if a team play more than one pass sideways, to people losing their sh!t if a defender actually trusts their ability to not just lump it away within 40 yards of their own goal.

• If that’s the English disease it seems to have by-passed some Wycombe fans who want us to play like Barcelona in our own half and constantly harp on about hoof ball.

• 'The English football disease to a core'

A late entry for most ridiculous post of 2017

• I love watching Sido. In terms of entertainment he is first class. Yes, he can give away the ball, but he can go on great runs as well. All very unpredictable which is why it makes him so watchable.VFM in my opinion (if a little/very scary at times!).

• edited December 2017

I back it up.

Knock it early to the big lad. Stone age football.

ps @glasshalffull , don';t get it mixed up with "the English disease", that'd be something else...

• Yes > @LX1 said:

'The English football disease to a core'

A late entry for most ridiculous post of 2017

Yes definitely