Skip to content

Match day thread: Newport

Comments

• Team announced. El Abd and Stewart out. Tape and PCH in. Tweet then deleted so I guess media got a bit early on it that one

• Wtf is kashket?????

• Deffo back before (a) Christmas

• Floodlight still on holiday ?

• Tyson!!! In third as it stands, COYB!!!!

• The Beastdoes it again! 2-0.

• Ref really shouldn't have blown the whistle when he did, should have been three.

• Glad he did. I won £55 for correct score!

• We’d be third if the ref hadn’t ruined Blooms’ Xmas.

• @drcongo said:
    We’d be third if the ref hadn’t ruined Blooms’ Xmas.

Imagine this thread if it had been the last game of the season!

• Play-offs delayed until Exeter can play their game?

• Superb Christmas present

I wonder why 15 staff called in sick today?

• Good first half performance. Snapped into the tackles much better and a good passage of football for the goal. Newport came back into it and might have got a goal,but for a few near misses and a couple of excellent blocks.

Good for Bayo to get back amongst the goals. Likewise, I thought Tyson played well and would probably have been my man of the match. There were several contenders for that one, with Onien, Saunders, JJ and Jomabati doing well. Also a good showing from Gape on his return to the team.

All round a good result which continues our excellent home run. The only disappointing thing was Blooms being robbed of a first goal at AP in years!

• Tyson probably would have got MoM for me too, he's still a really classy player.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Tyson very good today. I enjoyed the match - we were on top 1st half, they came back nicely until the beast’s strike.

The old Bucks boy behind me in block Q remained suitably unimpressed, berating our general play throughout and screaming ‘get him off Ainsworth’ every time PCH touched the ball. I do wonder what these people get from their afternoon out.

• @arnos_grove said:
    Tyson very good today. I enjoyed the match - we were on top 1st half, they came back nicely until the beast’s strike.

The old Bucks boy behind me in block Q remained suitably unimpressed, berating our general play throughout and screaming ‘get him off Ainsworth’ every time PCH touched the ball. I do wonder what these people get from their afternoon out.

Paris played well today. some nice touches in the second half. Unfortunately you can’t please all the people all the time. Great result today COYB

• New ‘most characters in the surnames on the bench’ record today I reckon.

• You seem to analyse the most weird things Chris.

• The issue I find with Eze is that, like many mercurial talents we've had loaned here over the years who falter to nothing, when it appears that he can't be bothered or he's not giving his all, it's just disappointing.

There have been times when I've seen Eze this season and thought he's the most skillful player I've seen at AP. On occasion he can just waltz past players, seeming on a different level to them, appearing to be slowing time down and treating the ball with a grace not found in League 2.

Then, when as happened occasionally yesterday, he flicks at lazy leg at a high ball or just stumbles around the pitch, it's exhaustingly annoying because you know he has the ability to change the whole game.

There's always the worry he'll be another Angelo Balanta.

• I don’t think there are any worries whatsoever about Eze’s future - other than the fact that it won’t be at Adams Park.

• I, like others, was a bit concerned with the CB pairing before the match...but I had to eat my teamsheet as Sido and Scarr were excellent. Scarr fully deserving MOTM for me. Also Dom Gape...who you would think is too small for RB played really well. Or was that because the opposition was poor. I thought Newport had us on the ropes for the first 20 of the second half and if that one that skirted the goalline in the first half had gone in..it would have been a different game. Two excellent goals that glossed over a middling midfield performance I thought. LON doing his usual mad nutter breaking things up role, Sam Saunders played some excellent passes but poor old EZE does not seem to take players on any more. When I've heard Gaz talk about him needing to work on the defensive part of his game, I worry that he has indeed been 'wycombised' out of running at defences as when he does he looks the class player he is. Bayo won a foul...flags were hung out. Yet again some of the decision making of the officials made no sense...but I suppose that's par for the course. Labidie was already lucky to still be on the pitch three times over by the time the ref finally sent him off. Looking forward to upsetting Mr Evans on Saturday.

• edited December 2017

Eze had some phenomenal touches in the first half, including his role in the lead up to the goal, but was pretty anonymous in the second.

• Really enjoyed that Dom Gape played well linking well with Sido as did Scarr who just went about his business. The lads must have been practicing back heels I think.
    My motm would be Tyson but as I can’t remember anyone who didn’t play well I’d agree with any other name

• Haven't seen Gape play as well as that at right back from an attacking point of view.
    Quite a few little breakaway raids.

• Agree Malone. Sido alsohd a good game at CB and never stopped talking to the rest of the defence. It makes you wonder why GA put WDH on at Coventry, when he could have slotted Gape in at RB and moved Sido over to CB.

• edited December 2017

I've always thought Sido being benched is very unfortunate to him.
    Even when Harriman's had a minor injury, or been out of form he seems to come in ahead of him effortlessly and i'm not certain it should be that way.

• edited December 2017

I see Bayo's goal was voted goal of the week on Sky (from the club's Twitter feed). Without wishing to be a downer or take anything away from a super bit of skill, was it only me that saw the deflection that took it past the 'keeper?

• You're not alone in that. I spotted it at the time and the footage. It was the deflection that caused it to "top spin" over the keepers arms and gave him no time to read just.

• Couldn’t have read much in that short time @EwanHoosaami. Bloody predictive.
    PS I suppose that’s my seat gone for the season.