Skip to content

Josh Umerah

I see that Josh has returned to Charlton so his loan spell with us has ended early. Sad to see him go as he was looking good as an understudy to the Beast.

Still we have lots of attacking options. Perhaps this will allow us to put our focus on a good centre back cover or Eze replacement/ creativity where I think we have some weaknesses, with no ideal deputy (in my opinion), if we want to push for promotion this year

Comments

• Do we have any money from the 500 club 17/18 to spend on new player salaries?

• Real shame with him being injured for a massive part of the loan.
    Maybe we'll have a look at him again if it suits both sides.

• Given his lack of chances due to injury I would be surprised if he did not come back next month. It was going well for him but Charlton have not got back a player 1st team ready which was surely their goal.

• We already have one of the most creative central midfielders in League Two in Sam Saunders. I really don't understand anyone calling for us to get a like-for-like replacement in for Eze if he leaves. Surely we just bring in Gape or Bean to play alongside O'Nien in the middle, freeing up Saunders to play the creative, attacking midfield role ahead of them, rather than the more traditionally central midfield role he plays when Eze is on the pitch.

As for Umurah, it's a shame he was injured just as we hit firm but with CMS, Tyson and PCH all able to play either centrally or as a wide forward; Freeman, Kashket and Akinfenwa also hopefully available for selection and Southwell still desperate to prove himself, we're not lacking in striker talent.

Bring Muller back and extend Williams' loan and I think we've still got a squad very capable of challenging for promotion.

• Saunders is very injury prone so if we lose him and Eze we have zero creativity. If Eze doesn't come back we need a similar replacement.

Muller is not good enough as even Morecambe dropped him yesterday.

I agree we have enough strikers.

• what is the obsession with Max Muller ? He is playing for a team who I think will be relegated this season and is nowhere near good enough.
    I would expect GA to move WDH on in the window as he clearly doesn't trust him to play which he proved with his team selection yesterday.

• @rmjlondon said:
    what is the obsession with Max Muller ? He is playing for a team who I think will be relegated this season and is nowhere near good enough.
    I would expect GA to move WDH on in the window as he clearly doesn't trust him to play which he proved with his team selection yesterday.

I`m inclined to agree. I expect if a decent centre back is available Gareth might try to bring someone in and allow WDH to return to Aldershot. Of course that depends on actually finding someone we can bring in!

Ideally id also like to see Eze stay or another creative midfielder, and perhaps another big man to cover for Bayo (perhaps Umerah if he gets fit).

• @rmjlondon I agree too - I’d be surprised if either WDH (given that Sido is preferred at centre back) or Müller is a Wycombe player come February.

• Come January even?

Just me being impatient to get the comings and goings sorted!

I am one of those who feel that being able to retain Eze could tip the balance when it comes to promotion prospects. Extending his loan until the end of the season would presumably also bring the bonus of enabling him to play in the FA Cup.

Equally, having Josh Umerah available to understudy Bayo and to succeed him in due course would be an exciting prospect.

• A lot of the Muller chatter is as result of the hype generated by the club and senior players when he signed. All along the lines of can't believe we've managed to get such a player and if it wasn't for his injury he would be player much higher up etc.
    Either he has never fully recovered (and probably never will) or there was some misjudgement or we signed an average player at a time when thats all we could sign (i recall the completely under-whelming reaction to Scott Kashket).

As for the others Mystic Me(g) thinks that Josh will be back next week. Eze will also be back with an announcement pre-Preston game. Depending on Stewart's injury WDH will either go to Aldershot (if Stewart ok) or stay as cheap cover.

• Getting Pierre back would be a great move and probably mean a play- off place at least. Maybe dreaming but it doesn’t hurt to do that.

• Assuming they were all fit, I am not sure who you would leave out to accommodate Pierre. Stewart snd El-Abd were starting to get a good partnership going and playing the ball out from the back. Although Pierre is undoubtedly a great defender, I wouldn't want to go back to the hoof it style.

• u clearly dont watch us away from home then. The ball will always need an asprin after the game

• Pierre did brilliantly for us but he’s moved on. We have a realistic chance of promotion and four perfectly competent central defenders. I don’t understand (a) why we would want him back or (b) why Northampton would want him out on loan unless of course he has found it difficult to adapt to eg their style of play.
    And, in any case, he is currently injured.

• Poor Josh. Barely gets a look-in before having to undergo ankle surgery then his very own thread gets hijacked after four comments!
    Hope he’ll be back.

• Umerah definitely had something about him, just a shame that it feels so long ago that he played.
    Arguably now we have more than enough options without him, though that can always change quickly unfortunately.
    See if Kashket ever comes back and if he's anywhere near what he was, and can be part of things each week, and if not, then maybe go back for Umerah.

Off topic, but since you lot brought it up above, we had every opportunity to field Muller or WDH upon Pierre leaving. There was a gap for one of them to step up. However, they were never going to be reliable enough, so it has to get to a point where you either can be a regular, or you get moved on, being league 2, and not the Premier league where players are content to play occasionally.

• A couple of weeks ago, in conversation , Garth said that Josh would have to play an under 23s game for Charlton and provided all was well would then come back to us.
    I'm not sure we have seen the last of him at Adams Park this season and would certainly welcome him back for another spell.

• @Blue_since_1990 Over £26k has been raised so far from supporters signing up to the 500 Club-18 scheme.
    There is still time for others to do so - just go to www.500wanderers.co.uk Some player movement is expected during January if the right deals can be done.

• Thank you Alan.

• @AlanCecil said:
    Blue_since_1990 Over £26k has been raised so far from supporters signing up to the 500 Club-18 scheme.
    There is still time for others to do so - just go to www.500wanderers.co.uk Some player movement is expected during January if the right deals can be done.

Nowhere near as much as last year,didn't we raise over £70,000.

• Player movement ? Im plumping for an attempt to move on WDH,Muller and Southwell.
    And bring in at least one powerful expeirenced central defender, midfielder and as a long shot a commanding keeper.

• But not Pierre whom you were tipping recently?

• @Twizz said:
    A couple of weeks ago, in conversation , Garth said that Josh would have to play an under 23s game for Charlton and provided all was well would then come back to us.
    I'm not sure we have seen the last of him at Adams Park this season and would certainly welcome him back for another spell.

That’s very encouraging @Twizz. Have you had a warm-up yet with your 500-18 prize ?! (Spotted you with the other winners in Parklife.) Hope you and yours are well and have a Good New Year.

• @ChasHarps said:
    Player movement ? Im plumping for an attempt to move on WDH,Muller and Southwell.
    And bring in at least one powerful expeirenced central defender, midfielder and as a long shot a commanding keeper.

I’m expecting youngsters on loan rather than experienced players. Perhaps a central defender from QPR. I very much doubt any new first team keeper is coming in unless Brown picks up an injury.

• @micra. Nope far too cold so far.

• Lol @chris. Qpr don’t have any defenders. They recently had a defensive crisis and played midfielders in defence.

• A QPR supporting work associate informed me the word is that ex £500,000 midfielder Sean Goss will be coming in on loan from QPR when EZE goes back.

• Interesting sources you have, @ChasHarps. Looking at Goss's Wikipedia page, as an aside I note that Man Untied paid £100,000 to Exeter for him at the age of 17 while he was still in the youth system.

Reminds me of a very interesting programme on, I think, Radio 5 a few weeks ago about players in youth systems and the bizarrely huge fees some clubs would ask for a player should they wish to move to another club. In the case of that programme, the players were typically quite a bit younger than 17 and were young people wishing simply to move clubs as they moved house or, perhaps, simply to change their environment as their footballing/ life aspirations changed. But there seemed to be in place a bondage-like arrangement whereby it turned out they, or their parents, had signed them over for life pretty much, in the absence of a fee of the club's choosing, supposedly to offset the investment in them that had been made to that point. As I say, interesting programme.

• @HCblue Here you go, from the BBC website. http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/41839083
    Mind-blowing and mental at the same time.

• Yup, that would be it.