Skip to content

Stay at home Monday quiz

When did Luis Suarez win the Ballon D'Or?

Comments

• Had that in a pub quiz a year or so ago.

• It was on the radio over the weekend as well. Its the new version of that question that always comes up....Sunderland did it in 1979, Villa did it in 1981 - who did it in 1980?

• @Tom said:
    It was on the radio over the weekend as well. Its the new version of that question that always comes up....Sunderland did it in 1979, Villa did it in 1981 - who did it in 1980?

Trevor Brooking - the others are Alan Sunderland and Ricky Villa

• How many goals did Holland score in the 2002 World Cup?

• If the radio didn't pronounce Villa as 'Vee-ya' then that would be a misleading question. If they did, then it would be more obvious what the answer would be.

• 1960 correct. Which is the only British League team that does not contain the letters 'world football'

• Do you mean ANY of those letters, @LX1 ?

• Which 3rd Division footballer captained England?

• Ian Botham!

A classic

• Nice one Eric

• @ LX1 PSNI FC formerly RUC FC

• PSNI FC are not British though; UK, but not British.

• @Uncle T British relates to the United Kingdom, Other subdivisions relate to locations within the UK. e.g. English, Welsh, Scottish, Northern Irish, Yorkshireman, Kentishman, Devonian etc

• Isn't the UK the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland? The UK and Great Britain aren't the same thing. PSNI are part of the UK but not British as Uncle T said.

• In common parlance 'the British' seems to include the Northern Irish population, I've not delved deeply enough to see if it by extension covers Northern Irish football teams. Of course the Olympic team was styled GB and Northern Ireland (ignoring the Isle of Man) whilst the Lions are commonly known historically as the British Lions when drawn from the whole of Ireland.

• I don't know much about egg-wrestling, so I could be wrong here, but aren't the rugby team called the 'British and Irish Lions'?

• Yes, but the Ireland rugby team is an all Ireland team

At the Olympics the team is Great Britain and Northern Ireland

• Err.... I've pretty much repeated what you've both just said. Too early!

But yeah, they're officially called the British and Irish Lions

• Just looked it up. The R Union team is the B&I Lions, but the R League team, which includes Ireland as well, is just called the British Lions. Everyone gets a chocolate.

• I suspect Rugby League is only just catching up with the idea of rugby outside the north of England (and Wales). The Union terminology is only this century. That's probably enough rugby Ed.

• In conclusion then.....

Combine England , Wales and Scotland and you get Great Britain (with the great being there to differentiate it from Brittany in France.)

Add Northern Ireland and you get United Kingdom

Add Ireland and you get British isles.

Incidentally subtract Scotland from GB and the official name for the combination of England and Wales - important for legal reasons - is ...... England and Wales. Obviously the guy whose job it was to think up names got to that one late on a Friday afternoon...

Can PSNI be fairly described as British? Depends who you ask perhaps. I suspect the vast majority of its supporters would say yes!

As I discovered when as a student discussing the Falklands war a little too loudly in a topsham pub just up the road from the lympstone marines base, there is a time and place for all discussions. Discussing whether or not psni are British is probably best avoided in a dingy bar on the Falls Road.

• The Isle of Man is an interesting case. Has been part of Norway, England and Scotland at different times in history. Our Queen is the Lord of Mann.

• Was in Topsham yesterday. Never had it down as a Bootneck watering stop (bit posh) but yes, expressing any opinion on the Falklands/Northern Ireland/Afghanistan other than 'we were right' is probably best avoided anywhere within the EX8 postcode, just to be on the safe side.

• fond memories of the Topsham pub crawl - ending always at the magnificent Bridge.

Its probably sensible NOW to avoid any discussion about Falklands in EX8 apart from we were right.

it definitely would have been sensible to do so DURING the bloody Falklands war.

Thank goodness for a very alert (and very athletic) landlord.....

Lesson learnt.

• Ah Topsham. The only place I could go for a decent drink (or several) and get the boat back home. Lovely, lovely place (and my memories of it were all squaddie-free)

• Anyway Dundee is the answer

• It may be the answer to some questions, LX but certainly not to the one you posed.

it's hard surely not to notice DDs.

• Haha! All this political stuff has made me forget the answer