Skip to content

Stevenage Match Report

Comments

• Thanks, Adam. Apart from a couple of misspellings of Matty Godden’s name I thought it was a Gooden.

• So did Adam presumably.

• Strange, I genuinely thought it was Gooden....

• Admittedly I was clearly wrong. Thankfully we kept Gooden/Godden quiet today.

• Been a big critic of Jombati but thought he played well yesterday and 5 unfair. I thought it was an impressive performance all round and we were very unlucky. Could not have done more to put the ball in the net, just didn’t want to go in. There is little I would change for the next game. Our front three with Tyson on are a massive threat.

• Especially with a fully fit Bayo. GA mentioned a foot problem and antibiotics. Slightly puzzling.
    I’ve mixed feelings about the reported step-up in performance when messrs Tyson and Saunders came on. As an admirer of both Eze and Freeman, I am slightly disappointed but at the same time how wonderful to have those two classy older guys on the bench.
    Good to hear that Dom Gape has finally shaken off the knock which has kept him out for a few games.
    Looks like a fully fit volunteer squad will be needed this week if there is anything like as much snow in Sands as there is in the uplands of Widmer End.

• We're you not at the match @micra? I could have taken you, as we can't live more than half a mile apart and I took 2 others? Planning, (subject to work), a trip to Coventry with @fame_46 and maybe others, in my 7 seater), if you fancy it?

• Jombati's first five non-throw-in touches yesterday were all hilariously bad. It became a running joke among those in my part of the crowd. He settled a bit but did nothing of special note. I'd say 5 was perfectly fair. I might have gone 4 for him and/or Eze. First time I've thought the latter might remotely be called a luxury player or slightly understood why QPR weren't playing him in their first team.

• Sido was utterly terrible in the first half.

• I haven’t done an away trip for ages @EwanHoosaami mainly because of a medical condition which had been afflicting me for a couple of years but mercifully has now been in abeyance for a year. All down to wrong medication. Your offer is much appreciated and I do want to get back to the odd away game when the weather becomes a bit less extreme. I’ll send you a direct message.

• @micra said:
    I haven’t done an away trip for ages EwanHoosaami mainly because of a medical condition which had been afflicting me for a couple of years but mercifully has now been in abeyance for a year. All down to wrong medication. Your offer is much appreciated and I do want to get back to the odd away game when the weather becomes a bit less extreme. I’ll send you a direct message.

No worries, look forward to it. Age range is very eclectic, 13 years old to 59! From a Holmer Green Secondary School 2nd year lad, (my son), an Oxford Uni student, a family man with a young infant + me who has very much a "smorgasbord" of ways to earn a crust. It seems to work with decent chats to while away the journeys? Usually try and get to the destination/town with an hour or two to spare to take onboard a modest feed. Shout up when you're ready.

• @OxfordBlue said:
    Sido was utterly terrible in the first half.

Totally agree. Side only came in to his own when we changed the impetus and camped in their half and he could make some decent runs forward.

• @micra Akinfenwa has been playing with an infected foot for the last two matches.

• Thanks for that @Midlander. Heaven help the opposition when it heals !

Many thanks “Ewan”. I will bring the average age up quite significantly then. Sounds like an interesting cross-section of fellow fans. Some good tales to tell, no doubt!

On the subject of Sido, I was intrigued to see him referred to as Coelho Jombati in the lineup section of the BBC Sport App.

• A Google search shows that Coelho is his middle name.

• edited December 2017

As eny fule kno, 'Coelho' is his maternal surname but doesn't normally get included in the name when reported. Maybe the BBC has to gen up on Portuguese naming conventions.