Skip to content

Sharp intake of breath...

The Club is tweeting that both Tyson and Kashket are back in full training...

Comments

• Thrilling news!

• Happy New Year!

• That's brilliant. It's like having 2 new players.

• I tell you, those two + Harriman back + a little luck with injuries and we could bloody win this thing

• (+ QPR letting us keep Eze until the end of the season would be nice as well)

• Add a commanding centre half and a keeper that will come for a cross, and the jigsaw is nearly complete.

• Why be negative when we have excellent central defenders and a goalkeeper who’s as good as most in the division?

• Great news. One thing i'd like to see in January (Besides Ebe staying) is a big strong centre back then i think we'll be challenging for automatic promotion if everyone stays fit.

• This towering central defender business is not going to happen.

• What makes you think that micra?

• I actually think our current defence would look and perform better in front of a better goalkeeper

• @robin said:
    What makes you think that micra?

I think GA has total confidence in Adam and Ant, with Dan as backup. But, with due respect to Scott Brown (and he has performed superbly as a shot stopper) a tall, box-commanding ‘keeper would compensate for Adam’s relative lack of height. I think most of us assume that Max Müller will not be returning in January but, if he did, would he meet your description of a “big, strong centre back”? You didn’t mention height so I would argue that Adam El-Abd does meet it.

• I agree with @eric_plant therefore.

• And I agree with Eric and Mr Micra!

• It was promising seeing them both involved in the warm up last week, this is better.

Coming through their first appearance will be the next major step, especially for Kashket.

• @glasshalffull said:
    a goalkeeper who’s as good as most in the division?

Sadly, a goalkeeper who doesn’t come for crosses is not going to be ‘as good as most in the division’.

• I wouldn't swap Scott Brown for another first choice goalkeeper from League 2 selected at random. I'd swap him for Blackman, but he was exceptional.

• Re commanding keepers, I was really impressed and a little surprised by Ma-Kalambay against West Ham, ok men against boys but: shot stopper, commanded the box, shouted at the defence and distributed with throws (to half way!) and kicks.
    Give him a contract till end of season.

• @arnos_grove said:
    Sadly, a goalkeeper who doesn’t come for crosses is not going to be ‘as good as most in the division’.

Then let’s write off all the excellent saves that he makes plus his good distribution and organisation of his back 4. What were you expecting, David de Gea?

• It feels strange to say "embarrassment of riches" about Wycombe, but when PCH and Freeman could end up the 5th and 6th options, we are definitely on to something!

• @micra said:
    I think GA has total confidence in Adam and Ant, with Dan as backup. But, with due respect to Scott Brown (and he has performed superbly as a shot stopper) a tall, box-commanding ‘keeper would compensate for Adam’s relative lack of height. I think most of us assume that Max Müller will not be returning in January but, if he did, would he meet your description of a “big, strong centre back”? You didn’t mention height so I would argue that Adam El-Abd does meet it.

You mean they always "stand and deliver" ?

• Our biggest weakness is defending the big loopy cross to the back post and deciding whether it's the keeper or the defenders who are at fault is much like the chicken and egg debate for me.
    Jamal Blackman would solve this problem but then again so would Aaron Pierre for me.

Scott Brown is a decent League Two keeper. We've been used to better than that though.
    Adam El-Abd is a decent League Two defender. We've been used to better than that too.

• We've just got to score four goals every game. Simples.

• Crikey. I usually get it in the neck for being a member the rose-tinted brigade. But that’s a whole new shade of red in @glasshalffull land!

Of course I hadn’t forgotten his many good attributes as a keeper - just observed that he doesn’t come for crosses and in my opinion that disqualifies him from being one of the best in the division.

Speaking of which, didn’t I just see you carping about respecting opinions in another thread? That’s an odd concept in itself as there’s no need to respect opinions you don’t agree with, but your stance is a tad inconsistent.

• A delayed but well deserved Klaxon for @NewburyWanderer. They are capable of providing Rough Stuff and can be very Physical.

• @arnos_grove said:
    Speaking of which, didn’t I just see you carping about respecting opinions in another thread? That’s an odd concept in itself as there’s no need to respect opinions you don’t agree with, but your stance is a tad inconsistent.

You can disagree with someone but still respect their right to have a different opinion. I merely questioned your point about our goalkeeper, I didn’t belittle you. There’s a big difference.