Skip to content

You learn something new every day

edited December 2017 in Football

I mean obviously for some of our fun lovers, having a smoke bomb is just a lark, but I did not realise being drunk and trying to get into a sporting event was a crime!

http://www.bucksfreepress.co.uk/sport/football/15681694.Man_charged_for__bringing_smoke_grenade_to_football_game_/

Comments

• He pleaded guilty on both counts, issued with a three year national banning order yesterday.

• Actually, I don't think you even have to be trying to get into a football match. Merely being drunk & disorderly whilst travelling to or from a football match is an offence that could result in a banning order. Never mind trying to bring a smoke bomb into the stadium.

https://www.sentencingcouncil.org.uk/explanatory-material/item/ancillary-orders/14-football-banning-orders/

http://www.cps.gov.uk/legal/d_to_g/football_related_offences/

WWFC stated quite clearly they are in support of stamping out this kind of behaviour and I, for one, am totally in agreement.

• Drinking and smoke bombs would seem to be a dangerous combination.

• Being drunk on a train to the football is fine in my book, as long as you behave yourself, and don't annoy, intimidate or otherwise piss off others.

• There's a distinction between being drunk and 'drunken behaviour'. The behaviour of some at Solihull definitely was in the latter category.

• I always assumed it was drunk and disorderly but it appears the second part is missing from a lot of the descriptions on the links. Surely the disorderly is the issue and not the drunk part.

• I can't see how you can be convicted of being drunk (excepting when driving a vehicle or operating machinery) without acting in a disorderly manner? How else can you determine if someone is drunk.

I remember many years ago Bill Werbenek used to have to drink about 10 pints before he could play a snooker match as they wouldn't let him use beta blockers. No way could he be classed as drunk and yet if I drank 10 pints I would be under the table.

• what's the drunkest everyone's been at a game?

I heard a tale of someone who woke up on the sunday morning after the Kidderminster FA Trophy final and had to check on ceefax to see if we'd won

• As I recall the rotund Canuck maestro of the green baize also used to let off a smoke bomb he'd smuggled in after each frame as well. Those were the days...only three channels...family entertainment.

• Quite a few that season @eric_plant, probably the one i remember now is losing at home to Alty, two days after that wonderful result against Runcorn then somehow making the trip to Gateshead the following day leaving AP at about 5 in the morning.

• that was 2 seasons later, but you're forgiven. It was a very long time ago

Got in a car after the Altrincham game and drove straight up to Newcastle

• You correct @eric_plant the memory isn't as good as it was, so many memorable moments during that period.

• I remember having seats in the back row of the away section at Stamford Bridge for the cup semi final second leg. I was sat there early after walking up about 30 steep steps. I got my breath back whilst watching a fan complete the same challenge. He was more deliberate in his step and swayed from side to side.
    Having got to his seat a row in front of me he turned around to sit down, did a full 360 spin and tumbled down at least 10 of the steps. Two stewards picked him up and he was never seen again.
    How can you get that drunk before a big game?

• Possibly Hartlepool away last season for me. I was so drunk I thought I saw a live ostrich running amok in the away end amongst about 20 Nigel Pearsons

• I remember a (presumably married) couple of Preston fans walking up Wembley Way before the play-off final, very much worse for wear and having a furious domestic that seemed to revolve around who'd taken the last can of beer on the train. After much belligerent denial from the husband, the wife lamped him full in the face and he landed flat on his arse looking utterly bemused as she carried on up to the game. It was barely gone midday.

Then there was this guy: https://www.theguardian.com/football/2015/oct/26/barnsley-fan-falls-asleep-toilet

• edited December 2017

I think I related before a tale told to me by someone at the WHL game who saw three young Blues get to their seats, start an argument with those WW fans around them about standing (swaying?), then one of them fell asleep, until he was violently sick all over himself and had to be taken to the medical room. None of them returned to their seats for the second half. Considering the costs involved these days, I'm not sure I would see that as a good day out meself.

• @Wendoverman Have you never soiled yourself in public? You haven't lived man!

• When I lived in Cornwall I once went to an an Argyle game with a mate who had really been tucking them away in the pub beforehand. He promptly nestled against a wall and slept for the entire game, waking up once in the second half to go and be sick. It was one if the dullest 0-0's I have ever seen and he probably had a better time than I did.

• Back in the 70's and 80's, theyre used to be this Scottish spectacle wearing chap in his 50's, who would always be gurning and never without his tartan flat cap.
    The Chap would be totally smashed and incoherant at Loakes Park, but he would save
    his 'super stupours' for big away cup ties.
    The fella would be glugging from his hip flask at every opportunity, he really was the most stereotypical glaswegian your ever likely to come across, and you really couldn't understand a word he ever slurred.
    Do any other fans from the Loakes Park days remember this chap ?

• @Onlooker if I did I cannot recall...which is probably how I would prefer it!

• I remember an old guy who sold newspapers (not in the ground) who used to wander around all the time. I think he said it helped with his arthritis.

• @ChasHarps said:
    Back in the 70's and 80's, theyre used to be this Scottish spectacle wearing chap in his 50's, who would always be gurning and never without his tartan flat cap.
    The Chap would be totally smashed and incoherant at Loakes Park, but he would save
    his 'super stupours' for big away cup ties.
    The fella would be glugging from his hip flask at every opportunity, he really was the most stereotypical glaswegian your ever likely to come across, and you really couldn't understand a word he ever slurred.
    Do any other fans from the Loakes Park days remember this chap ?

I remember him. Particularly remember him getting very angry at Croydon away and trying to stub his fag out on the referee as he left the pitch!

• Thank you Mr Arnos, some of my peers used to keep a register of the Terrace characters in the 70's and 80's but none of them seem to recall this chap.
    He used to gurn like Les Dawson, i occasionaly used to stand behind as he ordered his
    drink in the blues club, in an attempt to try and decipher what he was saying, but to no avail.
    A friend of mine, once told me the story of an away game where he was that hammered they had to carry him of the coach and into the oppositions ground, before the game !!
    Did you ever see him without his red tartan flat hat, that had a red bobble on it ??

• Is Mr Fox still about?

• @OxfordBlue , that would be quite a feat to be drunk and not do any of those things!

• @peterparrotface The glove puppet guy? I've seen him about but not so far this season.

• @peterparrotface said:
    Is Mr Fox still about?

I’ve not seen him for a while. Without any doubt, our best supporter (other than Liam Southgate - that bloke who is a 50/50 split of the England gaffer and the former Oasis frontman).

• @arnos_grove
    The fellow you mention is none other than 'Creature Pierce', not only Wycombe general's number 1 porter, but also one of Bucks finest poets.
    If you pass him at Adams Park, ask him for a poem, he's prolific and will gladly
    recite his latest offerings.

• @ChasHarps I knew he worked at Wycombe General but not the poetry angle.

I’ve never seen more uncanny combo of two well-known people.

• Liam Southgate!

I knew exactly who you meant by the name alone, but have never heard him called that.

I saw the Oasis angle but the Southgate angle is a revelation.

I literally spat out my cornflakes in mirth when I read that.