Skip to content

Match day thread: Leatherhead

Comments

• Cracking cup tie. Leatherhead the better side in the 1st half and we can consider ourselves very fortunate to be level at half time, but we improved hugely in the 2nd half and I think our extra qualities and fitness told in the end.

I didn't think the refs decision making was that bad, but the problem was he was dishing out cards for the most minor of offences and I think some players (Midson!) tried to play on that and it became very bad tempered at times. Not seen the highlights, but at the time I thought the sending off was justified. Moore swung his arm aggresively at JJ and although not at his face, it was enough for a yellow card. If it was a straight red, then perhaps he could've considered himself unlucky.

• Thanks, @russ, and thanks for dropping by this week. Always good to have contact with fans of opposing teams. Good luck for the rest of the season.

• Thanks

• Thanks for your dignified comments Russ, in particular your description of our manager as a ‘class act’. I wish some of our more critical fans would realise that.
    I thought Leatherhead played extremely well and gave us a tougher game than some League 2 teams have managed this season. Good luck in your league for the remainder of the season.

• Thanks

• Echo the last couple of comments @russ - always nice to have friendly visiting fans on here. Leatherhead acquitted themselves extremely well in the first half -thought your number 2 was very good - and your fans made for a good atmosphere. Second half was a different story as Ainsworth had obviously put a rocket up their backsides. Best of luck for the rest of the season, if you can play like that every week, you should do well.

Ref did his best to make the whole game about him, when it was no more physical or niggly than most of the games we see week in, week out.

As for Southwell. I'd like to see him given a run out in the centre as and when Bayo isn't playing. Couple of times I wondered if he simply lacked the confidence to shoot.

• I'd recommend a look at the highlights if you've not yet seen them, @Wycombe85 - available here: https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b09hvgbs/the-fa-cup-201718-second-round-highlights. Really extremely little, if anything, in it. A little ill-temper at worst but no malice, no harm, no intent to cause harm. A gross overreaction by the ref rather than the player. There but for the grace of god could a number of ours have gone today: I've every sympathy for their player.

• Dayle Southwell: different kind of player to Nick Freeman, CMS and Tys who all play wide right or left as though they’ve spent their careers there. Dayle’s replacement by CMS on the right against Yeovil made as dramatic an impact as Nick Freeman’s arrival did today, no doubt about that, but there were times today when Dayle actually got into the box, controlled the ball well, wriggled past defenders and came close to opening his account. Not to be written off.

Sammy Moore: sent off, together with Jack Midson, after both of them collected two yellow cards in the first half of a match at Fetcham Grove a couple of weeks ago.
    Disappointed with him today as I thought he came across as a modest, personable manager in interviews before and after their match at Billericay.

Dominic Gape: brought into the Woodland Lounge last Saturday and was very chatty. Had a good laugh in fact with the lively group of ladies on the next table and told them he’d had a slight knock but hoped to be available for today’s game.

Scott Kashket: great to see him looking lively in the pre-match warm-up this afternoon. Ditto Nathan Tyson.

PCH: no news. Assume injured but there’s been a tummy bug going round so who knows.

Tim Robinson: not our favourite referee. Showed 10 yellows at Fratton Park last season, including 7 to Wycombe. Has now flourished 9 reds this season in 23 games. Mainly officiates in the Championship.

• They weren't sent off at fetcham grove it was an away match

• @HCblue said:
    Really extremely little, if anything, in it. A little ill-temper at worst but no malice, no harm, no intent to cause harm.

He swung his arm into JJ - you can’t react like that no matter the provocation. Yellow card all day long.

He’a also their player manager - should by setting the example. I would be extremely disappointed if Gaz did the same.

• edited December 2017

If it's wrong to put your hands on someone, JJ should have kept his to himself in the first place. In the heat of the moment, their player got a little cross. His reaction was extremely mild - nothing more than brushing away what he took to be an unwelcome and unfriendly hand behind him - and not remotely worthy of sanction except at most an encouragement to keep his cool from the ref.. I get very tired of this faux piety when it's applied to opposition players.

• Can see why it was given, but it didn't have to be a yellow. Either way it was an incredibly stupid thing to do when already on a yellow card.

• Jacobson, Saunders, O'Nien and el-Abd - four players who've graduated from the Hayes School of Sledging with first class honours. With all four on the pitch today it was almost inevitable a team not used to League Two dirty tricks would come a cropper - it's just a shame it was the player-manager, with previous experience at this level, who allowed himself to be wound up. They all need lessons from the Midson School before they play higher level opposition again...

• Thank you @russ we realise that we've got a real gem in Gaz and all the best to you guys as well for the season. Your boys did you all proud today. Hope you all enjoyed your visit and not too many hangovers!

• @Kimble_Blue I’m sorry that you feel that the coverage has got worse.

Taking FA cup games against non league sides out of the equation, there is a now a commentary available on the radio every week which is a distinct improvement on what it used to be like.

However, I appreciate that your point about MW is a valid one.

The allocation of frequency decisions are taken by the station so please contact them to voice your concerns, as this will be the only chance of any improvement.

The head of sport is [email protected].

Cheers
    Phil

• Fair play to the Tanners they certainly didn’t turn up to roll over. I didn’t like the way the ref controlled the game I spent too much time watching his antics and not the game although the sending off was one of the decisions he got right.

• The old maxim still holds true,a good ref is generally one you don't notice.How games do we have where you struggle to comment on the ref because he's been anonymous .

• @Mr67 said:
    The old maxim still holds true,a good ref is generally one you don't notice.How games do we have where you struggle to comment on the ref because he's been anonymous .

Sadly, very few.

• I'm baffled people don't believe Sammy Moore should've been sent off. He lashed out and it's arguably a straight red. His first booking could've seen red in itself for the challenge on the back of Bloomfield's leg.
    Saunders also should've been sent off in the 1st half for the 'push' on Midson. In fact, he was probably saved by the back flip play-acting Midson did, a total overreaction. Or somehow none of the officials spotted it. Saunders is getting a reputation now, e.g. his booking at Carlisle for aggressively pushing/shouting at the lad who dived. He is always shouting and pointing at officials after contentious decisions too.
    Bloomfield was then booked, he was shouting at Midson incredibly aggressively but not really sure how this is a booking as no physical contact. Bloomfield was probably just saying what we were all thinking as Midson's cheating was on a Danny Hylton level. In 14 years I've never seen Blooms so angry.

Back to Moore, and Midson. What a horrific example they give to the rest of their team as manager and assistant. Moore shouting "What for?" at the linesman really is hilarious.

• Agree with that - his first yellow wasn't that dissimilar to the Pogba red on Saturday. Second yellow definitely a yellow. He came across as completely deluded in his interviews.

• Can't agree about Moore, @clifty04. JJ had his hand on his head in a charged situation where they'd tangled to the floor moments before. A measure of anger is fair there and his reaction was very mild - purely defensive and not at all dangerous or threatening.

Totally agree about Sam, though. I seem to recall him being indignant after the Cambridge penalty, too. Either it's an act designed to intimidate the referee on future occasions, in which case, shame on him. Or it's a worrying and frankly hypocritical lack of self-control and perspective. Either way, I'd be glad to see an end to it pronto. I particularly hated his sarcastic clapping in the face of the referee and Moore when the ref was called over before the sending off. Not the stuff to make a fan proud.

• Any sympathy for Moore should be retracted once seeing his challenge on Bloomfield back.

Could have been a very nasty injury and in my opinion Moore knew exactly what he was doing. Planted his studs on Bloomfield's ankle and left them there for good measure. The BBC highlights show it.

• He looked a very aggro little individual, one of those classic "show passion" ie run around angry, smashing people types.

@HCblue , you usually come across as a fairly soft "let's all hug" type, so i'm surprised at your stance on Moore, yet overly harsh on our own man Saunders!

• I could not make the game, but well done to everyone who did and for the team avoiding the first potential Cup banana skin.

• @Malone well Saunders does now have a 'reputation' apparently. Hope he avoids the Tesco cashpoint before the Christmas do.

• He's just a competitive player and gets wound up when people blatantly cheat.

Moore deserved the sarcastic applause after letting his team down like that yesterday.

• What Saunders did wasn't the most sporting thing ever, but it showed passion, to use a shit phrase.

Do we want passionate players who aren't always professional, or highly professional players who never show passion?

Because finding someone who sits right in the middle of the two is very rare.

• @HCblue said:
    Can't agree about Moore, clifty04. JJ had his hand on his head in a charged situation where they'd tangled to the floor moments before. A measure of anger is fair there and his reaction was very mild - purely defensive and not at all dangerous or threatening.

Totally agree about Sam, though. I seem to recall him being indignant after the Cambridge penalty, too. Either it's an act designed to intimidate the referee on future occasions, in which case, shame on him. Or it's a worrying and frankly hypocritical lack of self-control and perspective. Either way, I'd be glad to see an end to it pronto. I particularly hated his sarcastic clapping in the face of the referee and Moore when the ref was called over before the sending off. Not the stuff to make a fan proud.

It makes me proud that we have such a very fine footballer with a competitive edge.

• Ah, yes, our beautiful game is so pure we cannot afford someone like Sam Saunders embarrassing us in front of at least two of our fans. Clapping the referee? Arguing with decisions? Disgraceful scenes! As far as I know no-one in our team holds, pushes or fouls anyone. First I've heard of Sam's 'reputation' though so far this season, so I must be missing something. (Hilarious!)