Skip to content

Reasons to be Wary, one, two, three

Any hint of complacency about tomorrow’s prospects must surely have been well and truly dispelled by the performances of Leatherhead at Billericay and now, AFC Fylde and Oxford City against Wigan and Notts County respectively. I think we could be in for a nail-biting afternoon!

Comments

• Leatherhead didn't exactly impress me against billericay, was a low quality game.

• M3GM3G
    edited December 2017

Yep it was actually dire!

• Oh dear. You've got to put things in perspective. We are step 7 in the football pyramid. It was not dire. It was a good game of football from that level. If you beat us, which you will , you will probably get knocked out in the next round and the average football fan will think Wycombe wanderers are crap. Everything is relative. Show some respect .

• @russ said:
    Oh dear. You've got to put things in perspective. We are step 7 in the football pyramid. It was not dire. It was a good game of football from that level. If you beat us, which you will , you will probably get knocked out in the next round and the average football fan will think Wycombe wanderers are crap. Everything is relative. Show some respect .

Wasn't intentionally being disrespectful, it's just a bit of a pet peeve when people try to shoe horn in praise to try build up a script for a game.

The quality of football wasn't great in the replay I watched, I'm not going to lie and say it was, but you can only beat what's put in front of you, and you did that fairly comfortably.

• @russ I think you have to credit the vast majority of contributors to this particular forum with understanding perspective in terms of relative levels of quality. Some of us have witnessed our team playing Isthmian League football, yet still manage to raise our game to equal one of the then best teams in the land 'on the day'. Many others have seen how the FA Cup has displayed its magical powers in both a positive and negative way for us over more recent years.

You will find plenty of respect at WWFC for non-league sides. We understand where we've come from. Just take last year's FA Cup tie with Stourbridge - one of the most exciting and nerve-jangling games of the season - and the fact we will be putting out our strongest possible side tomorrow, if you want to see examples of that.

• Leeds Blue. You are clearly very knowledgeable on lower league and non league football and i agree with what you say. I was just dissapointed when someone described the game with billericay as dire. People who know about non league and especially billericay will realise what an amazing result that was. Anyway whatever the result tommorow i wish you well for the rest of the season

• I’ve seen dire games in the Premier League @russ, I’m sure no disrespect was meant.

• It was clearly a great result for you, but I was expecting a lot more from Billericay after the hype. The defending in the lead up to the red card was laughable.

• Yes. Sure no-one here has any trace of complacency nor sense of superiority, @russ. Looking forward to tomorrow very much - hope you enjoy it from your end.

• It was even more laughable leading to the 3rd goal! Ive got a genuine soft spot for wycombe as i sat in the wycombe end when you beat Preston North End at Wembley in the play offs probably 20+yrs ago. Lets just all hope for a good game and whoever gets through gets a big pay day in the 3rd round

• @russ No offence. Enjoy the day. You might get that win.

• M3G. No offence taken mate. Its our biggest game since the 70s so im probably over analysing things. All the best

• edited December 2017

Most of our home games last season were dire!

• @russ that goal was never offside

• I think that we are extremely well-qualified to judge what is “dire” having studied it in great detail the past couple of seasons or so.

Only saw some of the replay but what I did see was decent enough. I agree that the hype about Billericay led me to expect more from them though.

I have the feeling it’s going to be a very close game

• I was very impressed with Leatherhead, they made Billericay look so bad. They are going to be a handful today, really looking forward to this game, I'm not expecting us to keep a clean sheet but we will score enough. I think it's going to be a good one for the cameras.

• Hopefully, Reasons to (two?) be Cheerful; three, one! I'll get my coat......

• The supreme irony was that, having said I thought it would be a nail biter, the fellow sat two along from me (young fellow, 30ish) had nails bitten down to the quick. He was nibbling away throughout. I even attacked my own for a time in the first half.

• Me too but all ok in the end and my earlier three, one, prediction proved correct for change!

• btw was Midson actually Hylton in disguise?

• In a way it was a good thing they scored early, gave us time to get back and assert our authority on the game. Bloody good thing they didn't score a second while they were in the ascendancy though, that could have knocked the stuffing out of us!

@ValleyWanderer had it right though!

• The interview at H/T with their player manager who claimed they should have been 4-0 up before we equalized made me laugh maybe that spurred us on to up our game and score 3 goals,Saunder's goal was a beauty.

• edited December 2017

Absolute beaut indeed. Looking forward to seeing it on the highlights in a few minutes.

We were scratchy at the back in the first half, though. Again.