Skip to content

Matt Ingram

I hope that every Wycombe fan who was at the Abbey yesterday were disgusted by your goalkeeper's actions. Completely unprofessional, completely against the spirit of the game and clearly a sign of desperation from a side who were, at that point, being given a major test by us.

He play acted to get McGeehan sent off after the most innocuous of reaction by McGeehan after Ingram stepped on his foot. Absolutely disgusting.

You got your three points by cheating yesterday and I hope action is taken against you.

Comments

• Having watched it back again, Ingram deliberately steps on his foot after looking down at where McGeehan's standing. I hope he gets a ban for that. Disgusting behaviour.

• You're as funny as your manager was last night on The Football League Show. Bless.

• Despite being a Wycombe fan I have to agree with you, Not sure about the stepping on foot part but Matt's reaction to the kick was poor. He's an excellent keeper with a bright future and I hope this doesn't happen again. I blame JHGS.

• Part of the game these days; has been for many many years actually. Your anger is understandable though. A situation where you can't help smiling if in your teams favour but when against you is very frustrating. Good job by matty Ingram though, he felt the kick and did what any modern day footballer would do. Sportsmanship a very commendable attribute to have but win you games it does not...

• Who'd have thought being kicked in something called the "Achilles" could be painful?

• Part of the game these days?! I've never seen anything like it. I know for a fact that you'd be furious about it if it were the other way round. Ingram's behaviour is as much as part of the game as Suarez biting people - it has no place and the FA should investigate.

Watch it again - Ingram deliberately looks down at McGeehan's feet in order to step on them.

Glad MightyWanderer sees sense.

• @CUFCfan said:
    You got your three points by cheating yesterday and I hope action is taken against you.

No we got 3 points by scoring one more goal than you. That's showbiz - get over it fella.

• Going down after being kicked isn't the same as biting someone. Your man should've have done the smart thing and gone down himself if your so adamant he was touched first, rather then kicking out like a juvenile hothead. But as your such a saint and promoter of fair play you would of course be ridiculing such behaviour from your own if this was the case of course?

• Anything that upsets Richard Money is fine by me.

• Is this a landmark on Gasroom 2.0? First thread started by an opposition fan?

I wasn't there, and I haven't yet seen a replay, so I can't comment on the incident in question. However

'clearly a sign of desperation from a side who were, at that point, being given a major test by us.'

LOL!

• I'm not saying that going down after being kicked is the same as biting someone - I'm saying that neither is, or should be, 'a part of the game'.

And no, the reason our player didn't go down is because he's a professional and clearly wants to play the game fairly.

I'm not 'adamant he was touched first' - it's a fact. Watch the video.

If it was behaviour by my own team, I would be embarrassed and I would know that we cheated in order to help us towards three points.

I had no feelings either way towards Wycombe before yesterday but with some of the tripe some of you are saying: I really hope you stay down! We were the better side yesterday up to the sending off and actually even with 10 men we had more of the ball.

• With the benefit of 20-20 hindsight and having seen a replay, if I'd been the ref I wouldn't have got the red card out.

But equally, if I'd been the ref I'd have gone home afterwards and had a few beers and reflected on how some days don't go as well as you would like.

I sort of feel the pain of the Cambridge supporters. We've had shit like that happen to us too. But it all balances out in the end

• Ingram has got form for lying down dead when touched by the oppo, but then are we certain that no CUFC player has ever cheated for advantage?

Sadly @CUFCfan, that's football now and I challenge you to state that your team has been 100% Corinthian in its attitude since formation?

• edited February 2015

@CUFCfan said:

And no, the reason our player didn't go down is because he's a professional and clearly wants to play the game fairly.

He got sent off for lashing out. What on earth are you on about.

We won yesterday because we were the better team.

Matt is an excellent 'keeper with a big future ahead of him. If he's gone down easily I don't condone it but the fact remains your player was correctly sent off because he didn't 'play the game fairly'.

• @chris You're right, it is the first ever thread on G2.0 by an opposition fan. And credit to @CUFCfan, it's not incoherent gibberish. It's just wrong.

Either way though, welcome @CUFCfan.

• Having watching it here are the facts as I see it:

Matt Ingram did step on his foot. I think he knew what he was doing.
    McGeehan did kick him back.
    The Ref saw the Kick.

My opinion, if it counts:

If you watch every set up to a corner, you will see defenders and keepers alike push/pull each other and step on each others toes. You'll even see arms round players before the ball comes in to restrict there movement about the box. All could be described as fouls in open play.

You don't normally see a player react by kicking out. If McGeehan didn't kick out, Ingram wouldn't and more importantly couldn't have gone down.

Granted it wasn't a big kick, but where do you draw the line - A kick isn't a kick unless the player is booted into the air? The aggressor has a run up to kick the other player?

The player let himself and his team down by reacting in that manner. I'm not exactly happy or impressed with Ingrams role in the sending off, but the bottom line is - if Mcgeehan doesn't kick out, the ref has a completely different decision to make.

• Tend to agree with CUFCfan to a degree. Ingram's reaction was embarrassing and clearly designed to influence the referee's action and personally not something I'd like to see.
    I do tke issue with his comment that their player is a professional who "wants to play the game fairly." So kicking someone off the ball is professional and fair then? Even if you have been stood on - deliberately or not?
    Still doesn't excuse Ingram's over-reaction though in my view

• A very similar incident occurred early in the game at Mansfield a couple of weeks back. At their first corner Billy Kee ran his studs down the back of Ingram's calf. Given that he didn't go down on that occasion, I suspect this one hurt more. Either that or yesterday saw him get fed up of it happening..

• I don't like to see Wycombe players trying to get opponents sent off and Ingram's actions yesterday don't look good. That said, it was a sending off, the guy clearly kicked Ingram on the back of the ankle, which could be painful. Not sure it justified him going down like he did though, I wouldn't be happy if it was the other way round. I don't agree with the "it's part of the modern game" argument either, it's something that should never be just accepted.

• Really strange this has elicited such a big response. Matt lightly stepped on the strikers foot, on purpose, having played football all my life this is something that happens on almost every corner and free kick between defenders and strikers - absolutely nothing in that at all. Then the striker obviously kicks out at Matt, a completely obvious and stupid action and 100% violent conduct and a red card. David Beckham against Argentina was a small petulant flick but was sent off, correctly per the letter of the law. This was more than that. The only thing where Cambridge could complain is Matt's OTT reaction, but either way it's a red card. And weren't Wycombe winning 1-0 at the time, we must have been so desperate!

• edited February 2015

it is part of the modern game however. I would have a different opinion on this incident if, say, Ingram was flicked in the ear and he went down clutching his face, as you sometimes see. However, from the video I'd say matt Ingram was perfectly justified in his reaction and wouldn't hesitate in saying that any other keeper in the entire football league wouldn't of acted any differently.

• I agree with Quarterman. Having played locally for a number of years a step on your foot is nothing. Retaliation is stupid and leads to obvious punishment. Whose to say they would have scored even if he had stayed on. The reaction was somewhat over the top but you see it in every game you see in our days.

• I'm not at all sure I'd want to see a "Like" button on here, but I find it hard to disagree with a single word The Dancing Yak has said.

This is not a black and white issue. But Money's hysterical response was absurd.

• The referee had no choice, it is a kick out plain and simple. If he had pushed he would have been told off and the game would have moved on. We have seen kick outs punished similarly over the decades and regardless of how hard the kick the punishment is always the same. Richard Money can boo hoo all he likes but its his player that kicked out. I think we all recall the David Beckham incident in 1998, no force of kick but a kick all the same. Ruined that poor lads career and he slipped away to footballing oblivion as far as I recall.

• edited February 2015

Don't agree. I was there, Wycombe fan, had no idea what had happened till I saw it on tv this morning. Matt Ingram should have been yellow carded. Your guy had every reason to be annoyed, I thought he did well to not react more violently. To me, Ingram then simulated. Yellow for treading on the foot, yellow for over-reacting. 2 yellows actually make a red. Yes, I am a Wycombe fan, but I am a football fan too and see the game I have loved for 50 years increasingly blighted by cheats. It is time FIFA stepped in to toughen up regulations. Cambridge guy, yes, red card for kicking out - but was it really so violent? Sensible refereeing, 2 yellows, put the handbags away guys and get on with the game, problem over. Stupid by Ingram (and embarrasing), stupid by McGeehan. But I see way worse and more dangerous tackles going unpunished every week.

• edited February 2015

Now if we were posting to the real Gasroom I'd check this guy's IP address.

• But the point is that every week, at nearly EVERY corner so it seems, there is pushing, pulling, pinching, treading on toes etc etc as players jostle for position. What there IS NOT at each corner is a player kicking out. It is the same as raising hands the punishment is the same (on the field) for an open-handed slap to the cheek as it is to a full haymaker punch to the chin. You are off. Ingram's reaction is immaterial, the guy kicked out. See ya.

• I was quite badly hurt recently (separated shoulder) and as I recall I pretty much lay on the ground motionless when it happened. Is it not the case that when any footballer writhes in agony on the ground he is to a greater or lesser extent simulating? When you're really hurt you don't writhe.

• @Chris is right - Vamboblue is extremely unlikely to be a Wycombe fan - joined 8 minutes before the posting - just the right amount of time to write and review the posting and no visits in that particular guise before or after. Son of Gasroom does offer good ways of checking creditials.

Good gamesmanship Vamboblue, but caught out this time.

@Vamboblue said:
    Don't agree. I was there, Wycombe fan, had no idea what had happened till I saw it on tv this morning. Matt Ingram should have been yellow carded. Your guy had every reason to be annoyed, I thought he did well to not react more violently. To me, Ingram then simulated. Yellow for treading on the foot, yellow for over-reacting. 2 yellows actually make a red. Yes, I am a Wycombe fan, but I am a football fan too and see the game I have loved for 50 years increasingly blighted by cheats. It is time FIFA stepped in to toughen up regulations. Cambridge guy, yes, red card for kicking out - but was it really so violent? Sensible refereeing, 2 yellows, put the handbags away guys and get on with the game, problem over. Stupid by Ingram (and embarrasing), stupid by McGeehan. But I see way worse and more dangerous tackles going unpunished every week.

• Another virtual 'Like' for @TheDancingYak post above.
    Yes that sort of niggly stuff happens at all corners. Not that that makes it acceptable - I'd like to see the whole thing 'stamped' out... And yes McGeehan deserved to be sent off for his stupid kick. However Ingram's reaction was a tad over the top and rather embarrassing. I'm sure a vicious kick to the back of the ankle at close quarters would have hurt but the fall to the ground and roll was a bit excessive.

However what I found just as disappointing was Matt Bloomfield's reaction to it all. I've watched the replay a few times and he doesn't see the kick as he's facing the wrong way at the time. When he turns round all he sees is Ingram on the ground so he can have had no idea what has happened - but he runs straight at the ref with his arms outstretched, I assume appealing for the player to be sent off. I know he was captain and so supposed to be the one player who can interact with the ref but it did disappoint me that he could try to get an opposition player sent off without having seen what actually happened.