Skip to content

Local football this Saturday (Nov 4th)

With Wycombe's FA Cup-tie at Solihull on Sunday you may wish to catch a local game this Saturday. There are some interesting games locally & I'm sure these clubs would be delighted to relieve you of some money to help keep them afloat. Here's a selection of what's going on:

SOUTHERN LEAGUE PREMIER DIVISION:

Banbury United v Tiverton Town (3pm)

SOUTHERN LEAGUE DIVISION ONE EAST:

Aylesbury FC v Thame United (3pm)
Aylesbury United v Uxbridge Town (3pm - at Chesham United FC)
Beaconsfield Town v Hanwell Town (3pm)
Egham Town v Marlow

HELLENIC LEAGUE PREMIER DIVISION:

Burnham v Bracknell Town (3pm)
Windsor FC v Woodley United (3pm)

HELLENIC LEAGUE DIVISION ONE EAST:

Bicester Town v Penn & Tylers Green (3pm)
Chalfont Wasps v Milton United (2.15pm)
Chinnor v Holyport (3pm)
Thame Rangers v Wallingford Town (3pm)

SPARTAN SOUTH MIDLANDS LEAGUE PREMIER DIVISION:

Holmer Green v London Colney (3pm)

SPARTAN SOUTH MIDLANDS LEAGUE DIVISION ONE:

Risborough Rangers v Hillingdon Borough (3pm)
Winslow United v Hatfield Town (3pm)

If you go to a game please post a brief match report on here. Otherwise, it's all roads lead to Solihull on Sunday.

Comments

• That Aylesbury v Thame derby looks tempting.

• Day out in London and a trip to Croydon v Hollands and Blair for me

• Aylesbury v Thame for me, might see you there @MindlessDrugHoover

• Risborough Rangers 10-1 Hillingdon Borough, official attendance 102. 3 different Risborough players scored hat-tricks, not something you see very often

• Didn't have time to make it from Oxford to Aylesbury and with Oxford City over in Essex upsetting our old friends, went to watch Kidlington v AFC Totton in the Southern League. Finished 0-0 and was less exciting than that sounds.

• I was at Risborough too @Buzz but only two players got hat-tricks mate but all the same an outstanding result, keeps Rangers in 2nd behind Southall albeit 13 points behind. Hillingdon are a shadow of the club they were.

• Aylesbury 1-1 Thame United. A goalless first half, with no shots on target, was shaded by Thame and the first real piece of quality came in the 62nd minute when Lynton Goss put United in front with a lovely curling shot from 20 yards. He hit the post soon after and had a free kick tipped over. The Moles first shot on target was in the 94th minute, a far post header by Jordan Jenkins which looped into the far corner for the equaliser. Thame will be upset not to have won, on top for most of the second half.

Not a great match to watch, quite niggly, mostly verbal, not least from the two benches who continually harangued the officials. When Westy kicks off the air really turns blue, and he’s more than happy to send it the way of his players! When you are part of a crowd of 107 you get to hear just how much chat there is on the pitch and in the dugouts.

Goss is Thame’s ‘star’ player, 53 goals last season, 16 so far this season, half in cups. He is a good finisher but seems to lacks a bit of physicality as the lone central striker. These are two lower Southern South East sides who shouldn’t have any problem staying up, especially with only one team relegated this season due to the extra division being created at this Step 4 level next season. £8 to get in, £1.50 for a rather good programme given that they only usually get around 100 for games.

• Kimble Blue - my apologies, you are quite correct. I had it in my head that the RR no 10 had also scored 3 but the club's twitter feed confirms this was not the case (it was getting difficult to keep track!). And I wouldn't argue with your view that Hillingdon Borough are a shadow of the club they once were. As it happens, I lived in the Uxbridge/Hillingdon area as a kid and around 1969/70 my father took me to watch them a couple of times (long before I had ever heard of High Wycombe!). That was around the time they reached the 3rd round of the FA Cup, and were pushing for Football League status.

• Ok, it's clearly an age thing, but maybe it's just slightly absurd for me to be comparing a particular football club to where they were 47 years ago. Also, despite the fact that I rarely post on here, I have now replied to my own post.