Skip to content

The definitive ex-player news thread

Comments

• Ingram was awarded Team of the Week even though he shipped 6 goals. Apparently he made 6 or 7 extraordinary saves and wasn't too at fault for many of the goals although I haven't watched the highlights.

I wonder if Pierre is a bit disillusioned at his big move and struggling to motivate. It's not like he's playing in front of 25k in the Championship. Is it really a step up from us?

• Currently, and purely in terms of results and team morale, a significant step down.
    A different story financially no doubt but money isn't always everything.

• To enable me to tell friends about Matt Ingram's progress, could you tell me what august publication placed him in their Team of the Week. I assume it related only to League 1. An extraordinary accolade for a goalkeeper who shipped six goals!

• I did look at the Northampton goals and they were largely Alan Hansen's worst defending nightmares. No goals of long range quality like Eze. Pierre won't have become a sh1t player overnight so I would suggest that the centre half pairing is not working. Two good players don't always make a good combination and sometimes it takes time to know who is going to attack the ball and who is going to stay deep etc.
    Saying that Northampton are a yo yo side and maybe this is their season for a drop.

• I'm also working with a QPR season ticket holder and he said Ingram will be there number 1 next season once they offload Alex smithies.......ingram is highly rated by QPR according to him

• Smithies presumably would move on higher?
    Sounds promising from Ingram though, he's almost been in limbo for a couple of seasons now. At least he's playing somewhere now.

• Watched the Cobblers defeat on tv, one of the early goals (so many can't remember which) Matty I failed to come off his line to punch / catch, seems his old fault still remains.

• i also work with 2 QPR season ticket holders ... they both think Ingram is shit and not good enough !? ... but cant believe we have Eze off them.... think we'll be losing him in January, unfortunately

• Thanks @OxfordBlue. I don't recognise the publication but at least it confirms that it related just to League 1.
    Other posts above re Matt Ingram are also interesting, albeit contradictory!

• One lot of football fans at a club hate a player another lot of football fans at the same club rate a player? When does that ever happen?

• Consensus is rare @Wendoverman. That is inevitable; total polarisation.is less common. Statistically meaningless of course and I wonder how many times the Holmer Green duo have seen Matt play.

• Roger Johnson has joined Bromley.

• Didn't see that one coming... surely he can't play until January?

• Why not? He's a free agent he can play immediately

• Interesting. Good luck to him and them.

• Thought he had joined Hemel Hempstead a few weeks ago?

• Exactly as Bigred says?
    Did he join HH to get us to pay him off, and then join Newport on the cheeky as we wouldn't have otherwise?!

Or is that too cynical?

• Be interesting to see how regularly he turns out for Newport, bearing in mind he always seemed to be "injured" over the last couple of years for us!

• Good job they didn't speak to Aaron Pierre

http://m.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/41665320

• Was richie out when Newport rang for his assessment?

• Wish Hayes nothing but love and luck. Always gave it his all in a Wycombe shirt. Time caught him up and we had better options at the start of the season. Every time I saw him interviewed he was terrific and engaging. He praises GA in his interview with the Newport website. Props to him

• POT , my sentiments entirely.

• Should be POTD of course

• Agreed @TheAndyGrahamFanClub great striker of the ball he needed to be played up top at the end to be effective I think...as playing in a midfield position that required speedy legs caught him out.

• Good luck to Paul Hayes. I really hope he gets it going. You are a long time retired and I think he would have always regret not giving it one more go if he hadn't done this.

He doesn't look too happy about it. Like he's just awoken from a bad dream where he'd signed for Newport and it turned out not to be a dream.

• I do think Malone's question is a fair one to ask. Did we pay off his contract for this season? If so I think there's a reasonable expectation that he wouldn't then sign for a team competing against us in the same league. Everyone is being very nice about it but to my mind there's something slightly iffy. I would hope the club would have got a non-compete agreement in place for this season at least. Given this seems to have taken everyone by surprise though, I'm not confident that would be the case.

• We don’t know what Hayes and the club agreed to. What we do know is that he was a great servant of the club and has probably earned the benefit of the doubt.